Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Baby's First Scar :(

Old 06-04-2004, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby's First Scar :(

I can't prove it, but it looks like the landscapers at work were trimming the hedges next to my baby, and somehow managed to drop the trimmer on the nose of the hood, putting a ding in the center ridge, and then scraping down to the metal with five big scratches (teeth from trimmer?). I almost cried...but I know some of you have seen even worse. :cry:

Anyway, went to the dealer and got an estimate:

Hood medallion (Chrysler wings) needs to be replaced because you have to break off the tabs on the old one so you can't put the old one back on (according to dealer): $101 for the part.

Add another $25 for primer and paint (they're going to feather in the area...not paint the whole hood) plus another $700 in labor and tax for a grand total of $825! And no free rental while it's in the shop for four days... boo hoo. :cry:

Has anyone removed the front hood medallion? If you remove it, how does it look? Is the paint underneath ok, or would they have to touch it up? It saves me $100, but it's no longer stock...

:?: What do you all think? Should I take off the front badging?

Old 06-04-2004, 06:47 AM

Oh absolutely not, don't remove the badging-an important part of the "Front Look"

Old 06-04-2004, 08:34 AM

Personally I'm not removing mine even if the hood was perfect under the logo. I'll change a lot of things on the car but the stock look is what got my attention in the first place so I don't want to change it. But it's a personal thing. I think from what I've seen of the cars that are debadged it looks good too.... It's just not my choice. I'm even getting some aftermarket wheels.... But they will be for my autocrossing tires. I will keep the stock wheels for everyday/street use.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:38 AM

Depends on how clever you are, anything can be repaired given time and patience. If the emblem is not damaged and just needs to be removed to faclitate painting give it a try, you have nothing to lose. The emblem is held on by six circular type "one way" friction clips that are difficult but not impossible to remove. Looks like the stud they fit on is split, you may be able to squeeze it with plyers and pry the clips off, or just cut the clip with a dremel tool. Replacement clips are available at any hardware store. Just replace the emblem and slide on the replacement clips. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch.... IMO, leave the wing on. Your dealer has a body shop or did he sublet the work? I'm waiting for the insurance to settle on mine for road hazard damage. I need a new front bumber, $823.00.

Good luck.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Forum Regular

Um.... I'd have the building manager cover the damages. Which there insurance will pick up, as well as covering you for a rental.

No way I'd claim this on my own insurance, or pay out of pocket for it.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DFWSBR
Um.... I'd have the building manager cover the damages. Which there insurance will pick up, as well as covering you for a rental.

Diane,

I had something like that happen to me at work a few years back. They weedwacked the gravel in front of my car... stone chips across the front of the hood.

Bottom line... it was their word against mine, I lost. The "south-of-the-border" landscape company said prove it and the owner of my company just shrugged and said go after the lawn guys. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DFWSBR

Me, I'd file a claim on MY insurance. I'd rather pay the deductible than a $800+ repair bill. That's why I pay for comprehensive insurance. And I'd give my insurance company a written statement and photographs, they will want those to go after the property owner's or landscape company's insurance.

Old 06-04-2004, 02:54 PM

Thanks to everyone for your help. I think I'll keep the badging on, but will try CCrossfire's directions to see if I can save the old badge instead of replacing it. It wasn't damaged; they just need to get at that area for the new paint.

As far as the damage to my wallet goes, I have no proof at all that it was done at work (just suspicion and they're not going for it) as I didn't even notice the damage for several days (I never walk around to the front of the car). My insurance deductible is $1000 so no help there. This one's on me...

To be honest, tho, I'm more upset about not being able to drive my baby for a week than I am with the cost! Gosh, I'm tired of it being in the shop so much.