Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

May 2004 U.S. Crossfire Sales

Old 06-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default May 2004 U.S. Crossfire Sales

May - 1,669 (prior month 1,522)

YTD - 6,197

Old 06-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Year to April for Mazda's Rx8 was 8,234... pulling in 2,207 in April...

Making us more rare then the Frogman which makes me happy still... even though in Michigan the Xfire is spreading like a wild fire !! Which I dislike ... and you see as many Rx8's as Xfire's making them comparible that rare... *vomits* ... anyways I thought i'd throw in the Rx8's output also ... thanks for the Crossfire news I love seeing how many there are in the States

Old 06-02-2004, 10:13 PM

May sales for the Crossfire actually set an all-time monthly sales record.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Default Re: sales

Wow, 1600 sales in month. There's only been 150 Crossfires brought into Australia so far, no problem seeing another one one the road down here! (heap of RX8's though).

I think I've got the only crossfire in the whole of Western Australia (area= 11 times bigger than Texas), just waiting to have this confirmed by DaimlerChrysler.

Brett

Old 06-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same inventory here in East Texas and their displays are getting older everytime I look at them

Proud to be the only one driving around...with that muscle sound

Old 06-04-2004, 10:59 AM

I think probably the May sales record for Crossfire is due to the fact that the Convertible became available to order. I imagine people and dealers who've been waiting to place those orders.

In addition, I think the SRT-6 coupe was available to order in May, but I'm not positive about the timing.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by TivoBuddy
I think probably the May sales record for Crossfire is due to the fact that the Convertible became available to order. I imagine people and dealers who've been waiting to place those orders.

In addition, I think the SRT-6 coupe was available to order in May, but I'm not positive about the timing.
i don't think orders are considered sales. however, there were certainly a few roadster sales that helped increase the numbers. sales of the coupe have increased steadily each month this year, in part due to the incentives. if more than 147 roadsters were sold in may that would indicate a decrease in sales of the coupe.

Old 06-05-2004, 05:43 AM

I think the confusion is what makes up a "sale" in the figures quoted in the press release. A customer like you or I doesn't buy a Crossfire from DaimlerChrysler, only a dealer does. The way I understand it, an "order" by a customer is actually a "sale" between a dealer and manufacturer.

For example, if on May 1, I went to a dealer and ordered a Crossfire Roadster with a $100 down payment, that's really just an order to me. I haven't "purchased" the vehicle. But when the dealer orders that vehicle from DaimlerChrysler, I believe that is considered a "sale" to the two of them. If I take delivery of my vehicle on June 1, my "sale" would be reflected in the reported May sales of the vehicle, not June sales. I'm invisible to DaimlerChrysler as a "sale" because my transaction is with a private dealer, not the manufacturer. DaimlerChrysler can only report sales to dealers, not to consumers.

Old 06-06-2004, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by TivoBuddy
I think the confusion is what makes up a "sale" in the figures quoted in the press release. A customer like you or I doesn't buy a Crossfire from DaimlerChrysler, only a dealer does. The way I understand it, an "order" by a customer is actually a "sale" between a dealer and manufacturer.

For example, if on May 1, I went to a dealer and ordered a Crossfire Roadster with a $100 down payment, that's really just an order to me. I haven't "purchased" the vehicle. But when the dealer orders that vehicle from DaimlerChrysler, I believe that is considered a "sale" to the two of them. If I take delivery of my vehicle on June 1, my "sale" would be reflected in the reported May sales of the vehicle, not June sales. I'm invisible to DaimlerChrysler as a "sale" because my transaction is with a private dealer, not the manufacturer. DaimlerChrysler can only report sales to dealers, not to consumers.
but if that were the case all 04 Crossfires would have already been reported as sold since the remaining inventory is sitting in dealer lots. i'm relatively sure that vehicle sales in the u.s. are reported when the dealer, as the manufacturer's agent, completes a sale (or lease) to the end-user. this results in either a retail sale (to an individual) or a fleet sale (to a rental car company or other commerical entity).

Old 06-08-2004, 11:28 AM

TivoBuddy,
I think you are wrong on the definition of car sales. Car sales are recorded when it sold to a consumer (whether it is a person, a company or a fleet co (car rental)) AND a title is created. Based on your definition, every car on a dealer's lot is SOLD. <--- I Don't think so. Besides, the cars on dealer lots are not paid for, but they (mfg) do charge a finance fee (called a floor plan) to the dealer.

Car sales month are not calendar months. Many times, the first weekend of the next month is part of previous month's sales...And the month always ends on a Monday...don't know why...So a June 1 sale to you may in fact be in May's sales #. But it has nothing to do with when the dealer ordered the car from the OEM.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by landho

Car sales month are not calendar months. Many times, the first weekend of the next month is part of previous month's sales...And the month always ends on a Monday...don't know why...So a June 1 sale to you may in fact be in May's sales #. But it has nothing to do with when the dealer ordered the car from the OEM.
A few months ago Chrysler changed their way of closing out the month regarding dealerships. The dealership now has to record via the internet the month's deals by the end of business on the last day of the month. Prior to this, the dealership could back date the paperwork to the prior month and submit it to Chrysler. One reason dealerships would do this was to allow the customer to take advantage of the prior month's rebates if they were better than the new month's incentives.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:41 PM

LVxfire: Thanks for the update... so in that case, June 1 sale is June Sales #

Old 06-08-2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by landho
LVxfire: Thanks for the update... so in that case, June 1 sale is June Sales #
Funny thing you mentioned June 1.

Since May 31 was a holiday, Chrysler moved the date for closing May to June 1.

But yes, if it sold at anypoint of a month it is credited to that month.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVXFIRE
One reason dealerships would do this was to allow the customer to take advantage of the prior month's rebates if they were better than the new month's incentives.
Or more likely so the dealer could post higher sales and therefore get a higher kickback from the manufacturer (of course potentially at the expense of the next month's sales numbers).

Old 06-09-2004, 12:28 AM

David, yes that is the more compelling reason. The thing is, I can't figure out this mentality. Why would you steal from a new month to make up for a weaker prior month? It just sets up a snowball effect of "wishing this new month will get better". Out here in Vegas I can understand it. This town was built on this gambling type dream. But for most of the industry to operate this way.... I just don't get it. :roll:

Old 06-09-2004, 12:36 AM

8) :lol: LV - thanks for showing us the Roadster the other weekend. We enjoyed seeing it and will take you up on a test drive soon 8)

You were right - your new "home" is certainly a lot nicer than the old dealership location. And HUGE!!

Thanks again - :wink:

Old 06-09-2004, 01:02 AM

It was nice to see you both again! Thanks for stopping by and checking out our new digs. Give me a jingle before you come in so I can have one ready for you.

On Sunday morning I went out to the other dealerships in town to see their inventory of PTs for one of my customers and looked at their inventory of Crossfires while I was out. My jaw dropped when I saw the Aero (sp?) Blue crossfire. What a beautiful color IMO. We have not had that color delivered to us yet. What a pleasant surprise. :lol:

I know I am only a month into my lease, but I am already thinking about a Roadster in this color. :roll: Oh boy!

Old 06-09-2004, 01:06 AM

:shock: We would love to see the blue. That is the color we would certainly have bought if it was available on the coupe. K - don't have to say the name of the dealership - either give me a street name or something I will recognize - or PM me if you need to - we would love to see it.

:roll: PROMISE not to buy one from them - just want to see it :!:

Old 06-09-2004, 11:48 AM

Actually that color is on an '05 coupe that I saw there. Where? :roll:

J/K It's at Chapman's in the Auto Mall. I like going out on Sundays to check cars out. No salesmen! :lol: