Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Suggestions on portable navigation systems for the Crossfire

Old 05-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on portable navigation systems for the Crossfire

What's out there for hand held navigation systems? I'm interested in the Magellan RoadMatež 700. It looks easy-to-use and I like the turn-by-turn voice and visual guidance, touch screen technology and the extra large full-color display.

Any other suggestions at a price point of < $1,000? Also, what model installs the best?

Old 05-24-2004, 09:07 PM

I use a E740 PDA with either MS Street or Rand McNally software in the car since I use the same unit with AnywhereMap in the Pipers I fly.
The PDA fits in a cheap vent clip cell phone holder and unlike in the airplane I don't use the external/additional GPS receiver since there are no TFR's on the roads yet. ;-) and I don't mind a little detour in the Xfire.
Don't know if you have a PDA already in which case this may be a cheap option since you can get the software for about $30-50 and a PDA GPS for $90-150.
I don't remember if the PDA version of RM has turn by turn voice...but they all have touch screen. :-)

Old 05-24-2004, 10:15 PM
Default Re: Suggestions on portable navigation systems for the Cross

Originally Posted by Sticks
What's out there for hand held navigation systems? I'm interested in the Magellan RoadMatež 700. It looks easy-to-use and I like the turn-by-turn voice and visual guidance, touch screen technology and the extra large full-color display.

Any other suggestions at a price point of < $1,000? Also, what model installs the best?
I have a Garmin 76S. When on major road trips in my other vehicle, I hook it up to a laptop with DeLorme Street Atlas. With this I get MP3 files, highly visible road maps, voice directions and DVDs for the kids.

Checkout http://www.gpsdiscounts.com They have some good prices and fast service.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:30 PM

Hi Cgates,

I forgot that option because I haven't used it in the Xfire yet. I used "Door2Door Copilot" GPS and Software and my Laptop a lot in my '02 Ram Truck, but that had this HUGE arm rest to put the laptop on. In the Xfire I don't think this would work very safely due position problems. ;-) Plus I think the g-forces are a problem too. :-)

Old 05-24-2004, 11:05 PM

Agreed, I don't use the laptop in the Crossfire either, there isn't any better entertainment than driving my Crossfire.

Old 05-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my album, there are a few pictures of my Garmin iQue-3600 unit mounted in my Crossfire.

I have had no problems with it, and it does the point to point navigation with voice very well. I especially like the way it will re-route if you miss a turn, or a road is closed for construction, etc.

Just buy a big memory card, so you can load up lots of maps...

Old 05-25-2004, 11:31 PM

I bought a Magellan 700 to get to California for the Left Coast Hookup. Got it at Best Buy. Worth every penney for the ease of use and portability from one car to another. A tremendous piece of equipment. 8)

Old 05-26-2004, 12:18 AM

:roll: We also have the Garmin iQue3600 - mounted with the cell phone holder that mighty sells. (Thanks to jsisabella we were able to see what it would look like and how to mount the holder for the Garmin.) We enjoy having it - usually works pretty well, but - it really stepped over the line on our Left-Coast Hook-Up. On Monday night with AZ, in Mountain View, we really wanted some Baskin-Robbins 31 Flavors (BR31) Ice Cream. Turned on the Garmin and asked for directions. It found several BR31's in that little town, and darn, if it didn't make us make a wrong turn!!! Oh well - we turned back and it corrected itself, but NOBODY, even a GARMIN dares to part me from a BR31 :wink:

But the nice thing about the iQue3600 is that I was used to a Palm Pilot. Now my Palm Pilot and GPS are in one unit :roll: I carry it everywhere :!:

P.S. I found the best deal on www.gpsnow.com for Garmin units. They were very fast, and the unit came with everything they promised. When I need technical help, I call Garmin, and they help me even though I did not buy directly from them.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me guess: double dark chocolate with fudge!!

:lol:

Old 05-26-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by jsisabella
Let me guess: double dark chocolate with fudge!! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: