Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Front license plate

Old 05-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license plate

I'm interested in hearing from New Jersey drivers regarding whether your dealer mounted a front license plate holder. My dealer didn't put one on and said many dealers arn't doing so. I'm concerned about getting a ticket.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front license plate

Originally Posted by dano
I'm interested in hearing from New Jersey drivers regarding whether your dealer mounted a front license plate holder. My dealer didn't put one on and said many dealers arn't doing so. I'm concerned about getting a ticket.
If New Jersey requires a front plate, your dealer is REQUIRED to put a front plate on the car before you drive it off the lot (either temp tags or transferred tags).

Old 05-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Default Front Plate

My dealer did not put the front plate on mine (New York). I called the DMV and they advised it was required. As the dealer was not going to pay for the tickets, I had them install it. With the color matched holder it doesn't look bad. I guess requirements vary from state to state.

Dadof4

Old 05-03-2004, 04:29 PM

Mine didn't either. He said that if the police don't like it the'll probably give me a warning first then I can come back and they'll install it. He owns a Vet (200?) that doesn't have the front plate either and so far no one has said anything to him.

Originally Posted by Dadof4
With the color matched holder it doesn't look bad. I guess requirements vary from state to state.
The one I saw from my dealer is Black and looks bad. I hope never to have to put it on. My xfire is graph metalic.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by David Burns
If New Jersey requires a front plate, your dealer is REQUIRED to put a front plate on the car before you drive it off the lot (either temp tags or transferred tags).
i would sign a waiver to release the dealer of any liabilities before i would ruin the seamless lines of the crossfire's front-end.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Forum Regular

If you have to have one and the dealer did not mount it then mount it yourself with some 3m sticky tape rather then drilling holes in your bumper...

-marc

Old 05-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Default Re: Front Plate

Originally Posted by dadof4
My dealer did not put the front plate on mine (New York). I called the DMV and they advised it was required. As the dealer was not going to pay for the tickets, I had them install it. With the color matched holder it doesn't look bad. I guess requirements vary from state to state.

Dadof4
Thanks. New Jersey does require the front plate and I don't want to be paying tickets. I was hoping to find out that alot of NJ dealers doing the same thing.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by drunkiq
If you have to have one and the dealer did not mount it then mount it yourself with some 3m sticky tape rather then drilling holes in your bumper...

-marc
yeah i can see that staying on there at 150mph

Old 05-03-2004, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by xfirejunky
He said that if the police don't like it the'll probably give me a warning first then I can come back and they'll install it. He owns a Vet (200?) that doesn't have the front plate either and so far no one has said anything to him.
"He" gonna put that in writing and pay the ticket if YOU get a ticket? :shock: I guess if you want to take the risk of "probably", well...it's your driving record and wallet... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Old 05-03-2004, 11:05 PM
imported_mightyjlr

I am in NJ and have gotten 1 ticket for no front plate. Happened right after I got the car. Since then I haven't gotten bothered at all. I have no plan of installing one in the future.

Old 05-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Forum Regular

hmm... the 3m sticky tape seems to keep on everyones wind deflector on their sun roof and windows on just fine - do you realy think it will not hold?

Old 05-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Forum Regular

Ohio has front plates, but it does not seem to be enforced. Most of the "sporty" cars leave them off.

I carry mine in the car, and if I am stopped, I will try the old line of:

"The mounting bracket was on backorder and just came in. I was on my way to have it installed...."

Hopefully, I figure that after the officer stops laughing, he will just give me a warning!

:lol:

Old 05-04-2004, 12:43 AM

I am a salesman at Bob Ciasulli Chrysler/Jeep in Little Falls, N.J. and we are required to put the front plate bracket on the car. We usually wait until the plates come in before we install the plate bracket. I too hate having to put them on my car, but it's the law and I get too many cops staring at my car as it is.

Old 05-04-2004, 04:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm... the 3m sticky tape seems to keep on everyones wind deflector on their sun roof and windows on just fine - do you realy think it will not hold?
You have a point... however you're talking about a stream lined piece of plastic that the windstream flows over. The front plate takes the full force of the wind head on. It will also have to be "bent" to conform with the shape of the bumper to even have a chance of staying on. IMHO if you install the front tag with tape it will look just as ugly if not more than installing it with the bracket that came with the car.

My vote... leave it off until such time as you start accumulating tickets. BTW: a fix-it-ticket carries no points against your license, at least not in Arizona.

For those that have to and do put them on, we do feel your pain... ouch and more ouches. :wink:

Old 05-04-2004, 06:33 AM
Forum Regular

How many cars with visors travel at 150mph?

Old 05-04-2004, 06:54 AM

My dealer in East Brunswick ask me if I wanted it mounted when we bought the car and since I have no desire to be bothered by a ticket or warning, I had them install it. Granted, it does break up the "lines" on the car, it still has enough class and shape to overcome a pimple.

Old 05-04-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by jsisabella
Ohio has front plates, but it does not seem to be enforced. Most of the "sporty" cars leave them off.

I carry mine in the car, and if I am stopped, I will try the old line of:

"The mounting bracket was on backorder and just came in. I was on my way to have it installed...."

Hopefully, I figure that after the officer stops laughing, he will just give me a warning!

:lol:
Sounds good to me. I'll have to remember that one.

Old 05-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Default PLATE

When my plates are in I got them from upstairs and then i went down to service and just gave them one plate. and I told them I didnt want the front on and 2 service guys agreed with me. I know i can get a ticket i already had gotten 4 with my previous car, but it just looks so damn ugly i hate them. Neways thats my 2 cents.

Old 05-06-2004, 02:36 PM

By the way i am from New Jersey

Old 05-07-2004, 02:34 PM

My dealer is in northern nj and didn't mount mine either. When I asked they said that they like to leave it up to the customer. I also asked them about tickets they said to tell the cops that the dealership has the bracket on backorder. Haven't had to test that though.