Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.
View Poll Results: Best Mercedes M113 V8 for the Crossfire: price, compatability, durability, turbo-able
0%
50.00%
37.50%
5.4 supercharged
12.50%
SLR
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Crossfire 4.3 AMG Swap.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire 4.3 AMG Swap.

I am taking on this project and from what I understand, it should drop in with the same process as Lantana's 500 from what I understand, except for 2 issues. The Crossfire and SLK use Bosche ME 2.8 ECUs. The C 43 AMG uses a Bosche ME 2.0. However, I am along with the engine, getting the ECU, engine wiring harness, exhaust manifolds, and 5th mount support arm from the same car, so that should fix the ECU issue. The second issue is that the oil pan and oil pick-up are slightly different, however, I cannot see the ramifications of that. Any insight is appreciated. I wanna be the worlds 4th or is it 5th V8 Crossfire.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire 4.3 AMG Swap.

The AMG tuned version of the 4.3 M113 has 301 HP and 302 ft lb torque at the crank. Maybe it is just me, but that seems like an awful lot of work to still end up with less hp and torque than an SRT. If I were going to do a V8 conversion, I think I would want to be able to trounce an SRT when I was done. Or, are you planning on doing a turbo charged upgrade to it?

Good luck with the project.

Last edited by bmorgan; 04-06-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 AM

I am not a mechanic, but I would check with a Mercedes Benz forum to see what if any v8 swaps have been done on a 320 SLK, since they are very similar to the Crossfires ?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:25 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Teck-9
I am taking on this project and from what I understand, it should drop in with the same process as Lantana's 500 from what I understand, except for 2 issues. The Crossfire and SLK use Bosche ME 2.8 ECUs. The C 43 AMG uses a Bosche ME 2.0. However, I am along with the engine, getting the ECU, engine wiring harness, exhaust manifolds, and 5th mount support arm from the same car, so that should fix the ECU issue. The second issue is that the oil pan and oil pick-up are slightly different, however, I cannot see the ramifications of that. Any insight is appreciated. I wanna be the worlds 4th or is it 5th V8 Crossfire.
Do yourself a favor and stick with a car that has the ME2.8 in it. You'll be tearign your hear out in clumps trying to figure out what goes where, what does what and why things don't work right anymore after you do that. The other thing you want to worry about with the oil pan and Lantana, if you see this, please correct me if I'm wrong but there are two different style pans, the ones that we have in our cars that work, and the other style which does not work in our car. Do you homework on this one as the engine will be the cheap part of the build after you start adding up all the extra little things you need to make it work.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:09 AM

bmorgan has read my mind. imagine a srt6 engine without the supercharger and just a core. 4.3 amg > 3.2 amg. scharged 4.3amg > scharged 3.2 amg. I just want any AMG engine that i can find. Something that can withstand boost. i have a deal on a 4.3, so im tryin to make it work. and as for the ecu, im hoping to get it and the engine wiring harness all still in place and still attached. Lets say Im being forced to do this, what do I do about the different ecu and oil system?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bmorgan has read my mind. imagine a srt6 engine without the supercharger and just a core. 4.3 amg > 3.2 amg. scharged 4.3amg > scharged 3.2 amg. I just want any AMG engine that i can find. Something that can withstand boost. i have a deal on a 4.3, so im tryin to make it work. and as for the ecu, im hoping to get it and the engine wiring harness all still in place and still attached. Lets say Im being forced to do this, what do I do about the different ecu and oil system?
Do you really care about the stock electronics? Megasquirt is a cheap standalone system, and will let you run anything. There are others out there, but they are $1000+. If you want everything to work, I would find a different engine that runs on ME 2.8.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:54 PM

tell me more about the standalone system. I really like the 4.3, andc as it stands now, its practically in my garage. I got it with 30,000 miles for $1600.00. How do I pass up such a tenderly used, affordable engine. I wanna attempt to get past the ECU and Oil pan / pick-up differnces. I'm willing to put in alot of time, effort and headaches, I welcome them. I just gotta know if its possible and how to do it.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Is it possible to get the engine from a C43 AMG then get the ECU+engine wiring harness and Oil pan / pick-up from a newer E 430 that runs the ME 2.8 and Oil system that works for the Crossfire. Then have the ECU tuned for the 4.3 AMG engine. Also, does installing a new oil pan / pick-up require rebuilding the engine or just removal of the oil pan?

Old 04-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to get the engine from a C43 AMG then get the ECU+engine wiring harness and Oil pan / pick-up from a newer E 430 that runs the ME 2.8 and Oil system that works for the Crossfire. Then have the ECU tuned for the 4.3 AMG engine. Also, does installing a new oil pan / pick-up require rebuilding the engine or just removal of the oil pan?
I don't think you can mate a ME2.8 ECU onto a ME2.0 designed engine. Hell you can't even really swap out engines on the ME2.8. I mean, use different engine that use the same ME2.8 ECU.

It would most likely be easier to get the ME2.0 ECU and maybe run a dual ECU running partials off he ME2.0 bridging it to the 2.8 then running the other functions that aren't included in the 2.0 on the 2.8

Just a thought, not sure how feasible that would be.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tell me more about the standalone system. I really like the 4.3, andc as it stands now, its practically in my garage. I got it with 30,000 miles for $1600.00. How do I pass up such a tenderly used, affordable engine. I wanna attempt to get past the ECU and Oil pan / pick-up differnces. I'm willing to put in alot of time, effort and headaches, I welcome them. I just gotta know if its possible and how to do it.
On second thought, standalone probably isn't your best bet lol... Scratch that idea. I'm doing something similar with my mustang, and I keep forgetting about inspections because I don't have to worry about it. You will not pass inspections with standalone and more importantly, you most likely won't be able to use an auto trans, as the computer will not control it when it doesn't detect an engine. You will also lose ABS (I'd rather not), TC and the function of your wing. I think you'd be better off using a piggyback system like an AEM FIC-8. To my understanding, the FIC will allow engine parameters to be modified while tricking the PCM into thinking the stock engine is running fine. The FIC has an onboard MAP sensor, and the ability to voltage clamp the MAF or eliminate it (I think) so a turbo wouldn't be a problem.

As far an ME2.0 to 2.8 conversion, It would theoretically work if you swapped all the sensors from a 2.8 engine in. I don't know how you would pull that off without getting another donor engine that runs on 2.8 and stripping it. They are most likely not interchangeable without alot of work though... I hate to say it, but it might be a good idea to sell the 4.3 and try to find something else before you get too deep into making it work. As mentioned, the stock power output isn't really worth the headache... especially considering the headache the turbo setup will be.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 PM

well, i want an amg engine. the 3.2 and the 55's are very expensive. So, would I have these issues with the 55's.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 PM

if you look on car part.com the 3.2 amg's and srt6 engines are more expensive than any of the v8's Wow lantana was smart. the 500 v8s are the cheapest and most available. my dad says that the way things work is that when there are a surplus of engines, its because nobody needs them, because they dont go bad. so theyre good engines and since they are powerful, but not put in designated sports cars, they are less likely to be abused. I think being as inexperienced as i am, it would be wise to follow his process to a tee

Last edited by Teck-9; 04-06-2010 at 10:36 PM.