Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Alarm going off for no reason

Old 02-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have them check that glove box ...maybe its not closed all the way

Old 02-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do.... Thanks again

Old 02-25-2004, 01:29 AM

Okay, really dumb (really lazy) question...the car has an alarm??? I know about the panic button, but is the alarm an option or do I have one, too? What is supposed to set it off, and how do I kill it if it does go off? (I know, I've still got to get around to reading the manual, but am still having too much driving in my spare time!)

Old 02-25-2004, 05:51 AM

diane Yes it has an alarm. A very loud and shrill alarm! It's armed when you lock the car. If you look in at the "Towing" switch you will notice a red light blinking. That tells you the alarm is active. I know it works on the door and if the car is jacked up. To turn it off just put your key in the ignition and turn it on. The alarm will quit. If you want to test it.... Roll a window down. Then lock the car. Reach in the open window and open the door. BTW you may want to wear ear plugs :lol: . Then put the key in and turn it off.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the warning! I hate alarms after buying a used car with a hidden alarm/cut off switch under the dash that a valet parker accidentally must have hit with his foot...so when he went to get the car, it went off, and I had NO idea how to turn it off. We spent 30 minutes looking around the car. Wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't at 11:30 at night, with 20 people behind me in the valet line and just that one valet parker. Everyone was pretty ticked off, and I swore I'd never have an alarm again!

Old 02-25-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by diane
Thanks for the warning! I hate alarms after buying a used car with a hidden alarm/cut off switch under the dash that a valet parker accidentally must have hit with his foot...so when he went to get the car, it went off, and I had NO idea how to turn it off. We spent 30 minutes looking around the car. Wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't at 11:30 at night, with 20 people behind me in the valet line and just that one valet parker. Everyone was pretty ticked off, and I swore I'd never have an alarm again!
also, you can just double-click the red alarm button on your remote key-thingy and it'll stop.

dan

Old 01-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Default Re: Alarm going off for no reason

Did we ever find out what this was??? I'm having the same issue. It's 11:30pm and this stupid thing keeps going off! I'm going to try to leave it unlocked and turn the interior light off. Also slam the glove box closed good just to make sure (and because it will make me feel better) LOL!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by WMichaels
That may be it!!! :lol:
Did you ever find out what the problem was with the alarm. I have an 04 and it did the same thing this weekend? And my truck door rattles too?? Any advice would be appreciated..

Old 05-18-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by sean101
Did you ever find out what the problem was with the alarm. I have an 04 and it did the same thing this weekend? And my truck door rattles too?? Any advice would be appreciated..
I think I pinned it down. Its my wife's car, so it never gets washed. And the two times the alarm went crazy was within a day or two after she took the car through the car wash... And it never did it for longer that 24 hours or so. So my guess is that water got somewhere it wasn't supposed to and caused a sensor to go haywire. But once it dried out, everything was fine.

We're selling the car in the next few weeks anyway, so I'm not terribly worried about it. We just found out that she's pregnant with our first child, so the xfire has to go bye bye

Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by all_Bran
I think I pinned it down. Its my wife's car, so it never gets washed. And the two times the alarm went crazy was within a day or two after she took the car through the car wash... And it never did it for longer that 24 hours or so. So my guess is that water got somewhere it wasn't supposed to and caused a sensor to go haywire. But once it dried out, everything was fine.

We're selling the car in the next few weeks anyway, so I'm not terribly worried about it. We just found out that she's pregnant with our first child, so the xfire has to go bye bye
Funny you say that, because I drove the car in heavy rain and then washed the car on Saturday night and that is when the problem began. The alarm did not go crazy yesterday or today, so I think you may be on to something . I appreciate the feedback.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM

Funny you say that, because I drove the car in heavy rain and then washed the car on Saturday night and that is when the problem began. The alarm did not go crazy yesterday or today, so I think you may be on to something . I appreciate the feedback.
LOL! That's funny.

It has never done it when I hand wash it. Probably because its not high pressure water. And I typically do it in the sun so it probably dries all the nooks & crannies pretty quickly.

Try leaving it in the driveway in the sun for an hour with the roof and doors open after you take it through the wash.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by all_Bran
LOL! That's funny.

It has never done it when I hand wash it. Probably because its not high pressure water. And I typically do it in the sun so it probably dries all the nooks & crannies pretty quickly.

Try leaving it in the driveway in the sun for an hour with the roof and doors open after you take it through the wash.
Thanks for the feedback, I am going to hold off on taking it to the shop and see if it does this next time I wash it (I am going to hand wash it next time).

Old 05-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I read thru this thread and didn't see this mentioned .... the console lid needs to be fully closed because it will set off the alarm. Also .... someone said (and I don't know for sure .. never tried it) but if the car is locked and the alarm set, the act of removing a metal valve stem cover from a tire sets the alarm off also! I don't see how this can do that, and if anyone wants to try it, let us kinow! If it does, tighten the valve caps.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to hold off on taking it to the shop and see if it does this next time I wash it (I am going to hand wash it next time).

Interesting, The siren module sits in the front under the cowl. Water could well be a culprit in some of these alarm problems.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:57 PM

I think the water does have something to do with it because it happened when I washed my car and it has not happened since (time to dry out). I had the battery checked and it was good. I have to admit this is strange.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:34 PM

My alarm was going off randomly. Sometimes the lights would flash and sometimes the siren would sound. I took the car to the dealer and 700 dollars later, they replaced the siren module. I would suggest buying the part from a Mercedes dealer. The Daimler Chrysler divorce was expensive for us Crossfire owners.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:06 PM

What happen with your car at the end? long time ago I know, but now I have that problem with my car, could you please let me know what was the problem with yours?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM

It was the battery.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 PM

Its the actual alarms themselves (alarm modules) that have gone bad... there located between/below your windshield wipers/hood and you only have to remove a few plastic bits to get to them. Easy and cheap fix you can do at home. Just buy some new alarms (not that expensive) and get a screwdriver and your all set.

In the mean time, just pull fuse 11 to make the car shutup...cant lock the doors, but at least you can sleep at night...

Last edited by Lennex3; 08-15-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:39 AM

This is happening with my '04. It started a few days ago--lights flashing and then the day before yesterday, the security alarm went off unprovoked. Yesterday, the alarm went off again at work, and wouldn't shut off with the remote key or when engine was on. I drove it the short distance home (with the car screaming the whole time). I disconnected the battery, then yanked fuse #9. I'm pretty sure this is the correct fuse--why am I reading references to fuse #11? Do different years have a slightly different fuse arrangement?

Anyway, I'm replacing the battery tomorrow--but I suspect that won't solve the problem, based on what I've read on this forum and on other sites. It seems as though this is a pretty common problem with Crossfires. For people that had this problem repaired--was this a very expensive fix?

Quick Reply: Alarm going off for no reason