Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Nevada Law on front tags

Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nevada Law on front tags

Saw this in the Las Vegas Review Journal today. I sure wish Maryland had this rule.

Ray wonders about Nevada's "goofy" license plates laws: When you register your car, you get two plates. One is for the front; one is for the back. If your car has no place to attach such front plate, oh, well, just toss it in the recycle bin. Why not just do away with the front plate altogether?
The law does seem a bit goofy, Ray. A few years ago, as vehicle manufacturers began putting vehicles on the road without a spot for a front plate, Nevada legislators amended the law. Basically, it says if there is a place to attach a plate on the front of your vehicle, you are obligated by law to have one. If not, it is not required.
Jacobs said the notion to simply drop the front plate was never considered by lawmakers, and he has no idea why.
"They just didn't do it," Jacobs said.
But, Ray, don't toss that second plate in the trash. The DMV will require you to return both plates if you move out of state or order vanity plates: IH8PL8S?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Nevada Law on front tags

I do the rebel thing. 3 years on road next month with no front tag in baltimore

Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i tried the rebel thing. Caught in 10 months.
Broke down (cried a lot) and put on the front tag.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Romio
I do the rebel thing. 3 years on road next month with no front tag in baltimore
Now that you said that you will be getting a ticket very soon for not haveing a front plate

Old 11-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

went 5 years without a front tag until ticketed by guard on military installation. i rolled the dice on another car years ago as well. fine me once, shame on you, fine me twice, shame on me! tag is now firmly mounted, but without drilling any holes.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theglot
Saw this in the Las Vegas Review Journal today. I sure wish Maryland had this rule.

Ray wonders about Nevada's "goofy" license plates laws: When you register your car, you get two plates. One is for the front; one is for the back. If your car has no place to attach such front plate, oh, well, just toss it in the recycle bin. Why not just do away with the front plate altogether?
The law does seem a bit goofy, Ray. A few years ago, as vehicle manufacturers began putting vehicles on the road without a spot for a front plate, Nevada legislators amended the law. Basically, it says if there is a place to attach a plate on the front of your vehicle, you are obligated by law to have one. If not, it is not required.
Jacobs said the notion to simply drop the front plate was never considered by lawmakers, and he has no idea why.
"They just didn't do it," Jacobs said.
But, Ray, don't toss that second plate in the trash. The DMV will require you to return both plates if you move out of state or order vanity plates: IH8PL8S?

I love that law and have never had a front license plate on any of my cars/trucks. I also have many custom license plates that I only turned in the rear plate when switching plate names and/or cars. The DMV didn't even ask me where the front plate was on my last 3 cars.

This is my favorite..........
plate.jpg

Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by theglot
Do not go for IH8FP or you will have all sorts of problems on this forum.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 PM

I've been driving for over 3 years with no front tags, no probs up until about a couple months ago. Nailed by State Patrol, not for speeding, or illegal lane change, careless driving—but for no front plate... must have been a slow day.

I went with the Skene Design front plate brackets. No visible holes in the front bumper, easy to install and very clean look. (I even curved the plate a bit to wrap it around the nose).

Skene Design Low Profile License Plate Bracket

Old 11-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to chuckle when I saw this. Back up about 40 years or so and I have just acquired one of those really cool, really hard to get at the time USA - 1 plates for my 70 and a half Z-28 Camaro. It took me almost 6 months to find it and so the front Maryland plate went bye bye and I proudly displayed my USA 1 plate. I didn't get a mile from home and I get pulled over by a Md. State Trooper. No front tag or substitute tag is a no no and a 100$ ticket back then. I pled with the cop to let me leave it on, being a wet behind the ears 19 year old I thought he'd think cool car, let the kid get away with it until someone else gets him.......at least he didn't write me the ticket.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:59 PM

I was lucky, my fine was only $24 and change. If he had nailed me for speeding (during the day) I would have to get out and take a picture. Would make for a great pic for Road & Track PS, at the back of the magazine!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

H82BL8 That looks really nice. Unfortunately my plate was already installed before I got my car. Even though it was delivered to me new they knew it had to have a front plate. Some I'm kinda stuck with the placement.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:59 PM

Kansas has the same goofy rule about personalized tags - they issue two but state law says only the plate on the back must be displayed. Those are the only type of plate that you get two - all other types are issued just one.

At least they finally changed the law in 2010 - only one plate is issued.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 PM

Thank YOU KENTUCKY we dont have them, no emissions, no inspections . I don't see the purpose in front plates. From a police officers point of view when the hell you gonna use it? When i stop a car what part of the car am i looking at ... the rear, when the guy comes speeding at me i can't see those front plates, i mean really no purpose..

Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Forum Regular

A mandatory front plate is just ridiculous. I tried the rebel thing...yea, rebel for 6 months and got pulled over while driving on the Naval Academy grounds...never thought, of all the places I drive, that I'd get ticketed there. Now I am stuck with a frontie...and I hate it. I see the owners on here w/ no front plate and they look so clean.