Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Buying my 2nd xfire, had manual 1st time, looking at auto this time, which is better?

Old 08-15-2009 | 03:02 PM
Default Buying my 2nd xfire, had manual 1st time, looking at auto this time, which is better?

My first xfire was a manual and i sadly had to sell it, but im now looking to buy another , was thinking of an automatic but wondered which you guys think is most suited to the car (manual or auto)?

Also the xfire i'm looking at now has 125k miles on the clock (YES I KNOW THATS LOADS but it's at a good price) it's just had £2,000 spent on it at last service so i'm hoping it'll be as good as my last one...

Do you guys have any tips on what to look for to ensure theres plenty of life left in it?

Old 08-15-2009 | 03:22 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Buying my 2nd xfire, had manual 1st time, looking at auto this time, which is better?

WOW. I was gettin all emotional becaue I'll have 16,000 on mine soon - and you post over 100,000!!!!

Well, I always said I'd NEVER buy a car agian.... and I also said I'd NEVER have an automatic. But the Roadster changed all of that. This car is SO much fun that I dont mind it being an auto. ALSO, a six speed means a lot of shifting, which is ok, I LIKE shifting - but was still considering an auto when Deb Walker found this one for me.

I think that, over the long term, manuals tend to be more reliable and require NO service - opposed to an auto which SHOULD be serviced between every 50,000 to 100,000 miles (varies according to manufacturer and who you ask and how you drive).

But still, a filter and fluid every 50,000 miles isn't THAT big of a deal.

I find, with my wimpy drving, that I am faster in the auto - but had I bought a manual, I'd probably have grown used to it and been out there zipping around just like in the auto.

I really think it's a personal thing - IF you aren't competetively racing or something.

Old 08-15-2009 | 05:05 PM
Default Re: Buying my 2nd xfire, had manual 1st time, looking at auto this time, which is better?

I have owned both the six speed and the auto. I do miss the manual a bit, but the automatic works quite well and is probably the best automatic I have ever owned. I would make sure all the gadgets work (such as the heated seats).

Old 08-15-2009 | 07:08 PM

I love both,

The automatic makes it feel like a sporty luxury car, the stick makes it feel like a luxury sports car.

Old 08-16-2009 | 07:48 PM

I've always believed that you drive a car with a manual and ride in one with an automatic. But this is like the blondes vs brunettes arguement...it's what YOU want that counts. I have two manual Crossfires and two Audis with MT6s. If the SRT6 came with a manual, I would have purchased one of those new instead of my roadster and would now have one less XF. As it is, with the SRT6, I sometimes find my left foot stabbing for the clutch.

PS - I live in a rural/suburban area so traffic is nonexistent. But I have taken them all into Detroit and Chicago bumper2bumper rush hour traffic and after two hours of pumping the clutch, it does get tiresome.

Old 08-16-2009 | 09:45 PM

If you are sub-30s, you no doubt do NOT want an automatic imho. However, once you got that out of your system and you have become a regular working stiff getting stuck in traffic listening to NPR daily, then stick with a non-stick. It's much easier on your foot.

Last edited by BlazingSaddle; 08-16-2009 at 09:50 PM.