Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

My First Long Distance Road Trip

Old 10-16-2003 | 02:30 AM
|
Forum Regular
Default My First Long Distance Road Trip

So, I finally took my Crossfire for a long distance roadtrip.

I drove it from NJ to Toronto and back. It was a sweet drive.

One thing that I noticed in driving for more than 50 continuous miles is this car needs to be driven, drop you guard a little and you're in the other lane and those tires have serious traction, you can feel the slant and grooves on the blacktop!

Going into Canada was a blast, I don't think they got them there yet. Customs gave me quite the look when I pulled up, she asked me what my job was and commented that it must pay well. I just said "Its not expensive, it only looks that way."

I was on the QEW going North into Toronto at around 2am and there were a few burners on that highway and I got the "royal" treatment. A guy in a BMW 3M Coupe wanted to race but I ignored him. Got a couple of other Jap imports who basically did circles around me to check the car out on the expressway. It was pretty darn wild.

Driving around Toronto was quite the trip as well, everybody was looking! Just when I thought I couldn't beat the turning heads here in NJ, I felt like a celebrity in Canada.

I even met a guy who said he worked for DCX and came up to me and said he had only seen one in Germany and mine was the first one he saw in Canada.

The head unit may have a bad display but that auto FM feature rocks when you're in strange territory. Scanning through stations was great and there are plenty of stations up North that use RDS so IDs and genre indications were available and it helped getting the right tunes in.

During this trip was also the first time I drove the car in the rain and discovered that the wipers are speed dependant in a great way, it does automatically what I do manually in other cars...slow them way down when I'm not moving.

One thing I missed, a darn GPS. I put my Garmin on the dash for the trip and that worked ok, but I really want to get one put in that will fit the design of the interior.

I'll definitely do it again if there's a show to drive to. Too bad I was away on business during that thing in MD.