Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Auto Tranny shifting issues...

Old 10-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Tranny shifting issues...

Yesterday, I put my car into reverse and backed out of my drive. I then put the car into drive. I the watched the revs rise on the tach and the car not go into gear. I then watched my car drive away on a flat bed. The dealer then tried to blame my Pioneer Navi, by saying that some of my wiring was running to close to some factory wires and caused interference and that caused the stock wires to heat up and my car not to shift. The dealer could not pin point a problem though and did nothing to fix it. It now runs.....Anybody else have shift issues? Just wondering.

Thanks Scott

Old 10-08-2003, 07:13 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Haven't heard of this issue yet in automatics. There was a problem with manual Crossfires jumping out of first to neutral. Hope it gets fixed, and welcome to the forum!

Old 12-22-2003, 10:22 AM

I have a manual and it apepars to have shifted from first to neutral by itself on 3 occassionis

I would drive off from a stop and be several feet down the road and all of a sudden tthe car would lurch (as if being hit from behind) and make a loud banging sort of noise. The shifter would come backwards and I'd have to engage the clutch again to get it back into gear.

Is it me or has a problem been previously identified?

Thanks. I'm still thrilled by the car though.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:31 AM

thrilled...... It sounds like it could be one of 2 things to me..... First and easiest is that the shifter linkage could need to be adjusted. Second and more serious is it could have a bent shifting fork (transmission internal problem). If the fork is the problem it would have to be replaced.

By the way.... The problem you have described is called "popping out of gear" Not "shifting it's self" into neutral.

How many miles do you have???

Old 12-22-2003, 10:45 AM

It has about 400 miles of which perhaps 150 was on the car at the time of pickup. I have no idea who test drove it and how it was driven. What are the common causes of a bent shfting fork?

Thanks for the clarification on the terminology. When it pops out of gear, should I feel as if I have been rear-ended?

Old 12-22-2003, 10:53 AM

You will deffinately feel and hear a POP when it pops out of gear.

To answer you guestion about how a shifting fork gets bent.... The most common way for a fork to get bent is by linkage not being adjusted properly and then excessive force being used to muscle it into gear. Another way shifting forks can get damaged is during the transmission build.... not as common though.

If I were you I would take it to the dealer ASAP. If it is just a matter of the linkage needing adjustment, if it's not done right away you could end up some serious damage.

Old 12-22-2003, 11:55 AM

Appreciate your feedback and sharing your knowledge. Will get in touch with the dealer.

Old 12-22-2003, 01:08 PM

Let us know what happens.... Good Luck!!!

Old 01-04-2004, 12:24 PM

Here is the update on the problem. Brought it to the dealer this past Friday and we spoke later in the day. They are ordering a new transmission - prboably to arrive in a little over a week. Said the fix is to go inside the tranny (didn't ask for details) but they are going to replace the whole thing. Not sure if they were unomfortable with fixing it or easier to swap the entire thing out.

May need to consider an extended warranty contract after this though I am not persuaded of their merits.

Appreciate all the other posts on this issue.