Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Mark up!!!!

Old 07-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark up!!!!

I have had a lot of interest in the Crossfire every since I first saw the car.
And then the other day, I got a very quick look at one on the road....it looked nice from what I could see.

So yesterday I visited my local dealers website to see if they might have a unit in stock which they did. It was a black one which is the color I was interested in and it had the MSRP price listed for it. I sent them a email to ask about it and when I could come in to take a look.

They wrote me back....the car has a $4000 "market value" mark up on it!!!

WARNING: STAY AWAY FROM NEWPORT NEWS, VA. IF YOU WANT TO GET A DEAL ON THE CROSSFIRE COUPE!!!

Is this happening in other areas? :x :x :evil: :twisted:

Old 07-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Forum Regular

Check some of the other posts. Range is MSRP (or below MSRP, I got 3% over invoice) to 10K over. There are enough dealers out there to negotiate with. I spoke to about 30 and found 6 at MSRP (with little hassle). Call and negotiate and be willing to drive to get your car.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2003, 11:57 AM
Forum Regular

I would agree with Texex91, shop around, ask around.

You are in the ballpark average with $4k over from all the prices I've seen deals close on. Standard range is MSRP to 10K. I know there is a crazy one in the NY area that closed $15k over, crazy IMHO.

Invoice price is supposed to be around $2,500 below list, so that gives you a reference point to work with.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:16 PM
imported_mightyjlr

I will only pay MSRP for the Crossfire. I have found a dealer that will sell for MSRP, but he isn't sure when the second Crossfire will come in. I'm second on the list. All of these dealers with cars marked up 5-6k are dumb because according to my dealer Chrysler will only ship a Crossfire to a dealer if they have already sold the previous one they have. So there is a dealer near me that has had one for about 3-4 weeks because they refuse to sell for less than 8k above sticker, and they aren't going to get another until sometime after they sell that one. Their loss. At least my dealer already has sold their first Crossfire coming in for MSRP, so hopefully mine won't be too far behind. We'll see. I hope I don't have to wait until sometime in August...

Old 07-09-2003, 06:37 PM

We were first on our dealer's list with $1,000 down. Dealer is selling for MSRP.

We're looking for Red, 5 speed auto, but the one that came in is Black, 6 speed manual. The dealer located several Red automatics within 100 miles or so and is contacting them to try to do a swap. Our dealer said they won't have anything to do with markups above MSRP. They said their "zone" rep says if they can't do a swap we can now order what we want. Same deal MSRP. We'll see.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:42 PM

Bought mine today for MSRP..no add-ons, no rust proof, no extended warantee...
$34,495 Sapphire 6 speed, two-tone interior.
Lots of fun so far!

Old 07-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular

Leon:

Congrats! Please post pics as of us waiting for ours like to oogle.

Give us your impressions after a week or two. Tell us about all of the attention you are drawing :lol:

Old 07-09-2003, 07:45 PM

Ahhh,the dreaded "fair market value" mark up.Dealers do this in MANY cases as standard practice on new,hard to get models.

Ask any first year PT buyers.....in Florida,one went for 36 grand in 2000.New T-Bird owners faced the very same thing in many cases....saw one locally for 56 grand early on when they first arrived.

Not all dealers by any means do this practice.It is an unfortunate effect of the buisness.What was discovered very early on in the great PT battle was this,Chrysler Corp does not view the end driver as the "customer".The Customer is the licensed franchise DEALER...this is how all major car companies work.Even if you have a special order in and are waiting for it....if the dealer decides to sell it out fom under you when it comes in(say another customer offers 6 grand more than you!)he/she can!!!!Now,you can fight in court to get the car IF you have met certain criteria.If you have a true written and signed contract.Or if the dealer cashed a deposit check BEFORE the car arrived...for by law,they cannot.Once again,this happened to an early PT customer in California.....she won her court case against her dealer,who sold her PT that she ordered out from under her,and they had to produce the car.

Basically,the dealers of any brand are in the driver's seat as far as price setting goes.And in many cases they can do so because somewhere,someone will pay whatever ridiculous price they are asking.A recent example....one of the first 25 Chevy SSRs went for 137,000 dollars.Now granted,this was through a charity auction BUT the base price is listed as 42 grand.And many dealers are already asking 50 plus for a vehicle they don't even have on lots yet.

InfernoRed

Old 07-11-2003, 03:10 AM
Default Re: Mark up!!!!

This is definitely happening in other areas. My husband and I have been #1 on a waiting list here in Missouri since around February. We got a call earlier this week that the car was coming in and that we should come in to talk about it. The dealer asked for $43,170 for the car! His justification? Someone has to pay for the special tools, inventory and mechanics training for this car. We turned it down, even when he said that this car would be the only car they are getting for the rest of the year. Well, they called us back the next day saying they managed to find another one (in the color I originally wanted no less!). They asked us to make an offer. We did. $38,000. They are THINKING about it. Talk about greedy! $2,500 profit for the first car (plus all tools, inventory and training paid for by the customer), and $5,000 profit for the 2nd car (assuming they agree to our offer). This is ludicrous.

Old 07-11-2003, 06:17 AM

Tools are not paid for by the customer...nor is training!!!!!That is complete B.S.Special tools are provided by Chrysler to the Dealer for any new models...and there are probably very few if any new tools.You still use the same things to swap batteries...do diagnostics,change filters...so on so forth.Also,any special training required for a new model is provided to dealers through set up scheduled classes by Chrysler.

InfernoRed

Old 07-11-2003, 08:23 AM
Forum Regular

rrush:

Why not call around. Why did you offer above sticker? Tell them that you have another dealer at MSRP, and be willing to walk if they do not bite. Not sure where you are located, but I called 30 dealers and found a bunch at MSRP (I'm actually getting mine for below MSRP.) Ask for a GM or Sales MAanger don't deal w/ floor guys--they cannot make decisions.

Do your homework and you can get MSRP.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:47 AM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by InfernoRed
Tools are not paid for by the customer...nor is training!!!!!That is complete B.S.Special tools are provided by Chrysler to the Dealer for any new models...and there are probably very few if any new tools.You still use the same things to swap batteries...do diagnostics,change filters...so on so forth.Also,any special training required for a new model is provided to dealers through set up scheduled classes by Chrysler.

InfernoRed
The tools that a DEALER needs to pay for cost over $8000. Plus the difference between what the dealer pays and MSRP is only about $3000, so I can understand why some cars are getting market up. Doesn't mean I like it though, and the better dealers will sell it for MSRP.

Old 07-11-2003, 12:28 PM

Well, 1st impression is that it is definately a fun car to drive..great handling and very comfortable..as for the looks??? It gets lots of notice...most people don't know what the heck it is and the ones that do are thrilled to see one on the road. I'm very fortunate to have a few lookers..2001 Prowler, 2002 Mini Cooper S, 2003 H2..chromed and chromed! and a 2002 TBird..I do lots and lots of aftermarket stuff to all of my cars..but this one, other than getting some kind of XM satellite radio, FM modulated or change the head unit..not sure yet..will remain as is for now.
This is a teriffic car and once you get yours you'll see. A very good friend of mine is on his way (90 miles from his home) to purchase a white automatic for MSRP..his local dealer was about to sell him their white but was ripping him off on the document charges....so..within 1 day he found another for the right price.
I dont know how to load pics here but here is a site to the Prowleronline forum that my pics are on..
http://www.prowleronline.com/ubb/For...ML/003187.html

Old 07-11-2003, 12:36 PM
Forum Regular

Inferno, you're are correct that the customer shouldn't need to pay for tools or training but Chrysler didn't give them away either.

Mightyjlr gave the rundown and he's right on all the numbers. You can't do diagnostics on the Crossfire without an additional "adapter" and a seperate card on the handheld. The Crossfire gives out non-uniform Mercedes codes, not the Chyrsler codes.

All engine parts are Mercedes and required engine oil is synthetic, with Pentosin or Mobil 1 recommended, so expect your oil changes to cost more as well unless you've always asked for synthetic by name.

Read this article which is linked to at the home page:

Autoweek Article

I've verified the numbers, they are correct at least for this model year.

You should ask for MSRP and not pay over sticker, but let's not knock dealers with inaccurate facts either.

Old 07-11-2003, 05:49 PM

I found a dealer in central NY that is willing to sell it to me at sticker. I can even pick the colors I want (exterior, interior).

Old 07-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Forum Regular

Alienz:

Try and get under stick. I got mine for $1370 below MSRP. Picking her up tomorrow :wink: :lol:

Old 07-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Forum Regular

Get it in writing Alienz and have them give you an estimated date of arrival. Put down a penality clause if you can get away with it before you put down any deposit.

Old 07-12-2003, 12:54 AM

Yes Leon, I picked it up today in Orland Hills IL at MSRP and had a great ride home. Very comfortable and handles and rides great. Very pleased. Better than I expected.

Old 07-12-2003, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by texex91
Alienz:

Try and get under stick. I got mine for $1370 below MSRP. Picking her up tomorrow :wink: :lol:
How the hell did you get it under sticker? Yu lucky bastard hehe. @ dealers over here are selling them $10k over sticker. The dealer I found that is willing to sell it to me over sticker is 35 miles away. According to what I've read on this forum, the main reason dealers are seeling them over sticker is becuase they have to train their mechanics to be able to service the car. One dealer I called told me that they can't aford to sell the X-fire now becuase they won't be able to service it. The dealer that is willing to sell it to me at sticker doesn't have any crossfires yet but is willing to order one for me. THe salesman just called me 2day and asked me to come over and place the order. Too bad I can't do it for now becuase I have to get my **** together and get my finaces in order. Plus I'm still thinking about the 350z which has more hp and can be bought at invoice.

Old 07-12-2003, 07:06 AM
Forum Regular

Alienz:

The only reason I was able to get below MSRP is because I called about 30 places, played one dealer against the other and was patient. Believe me, I'm driving it back today from the dealer 5 hours away (flying out, driving back) but that is well worth it to save almost $1400 off MSRP. Also the fact that I negotiate for a living (I've been in Enterprise Software sales for 14 years) helps :lol:

As far as the Z you are thinking about--I did the same with the Z and G35. The bottom line for me was that while the Z has more HP, I was more into the wow factor, and I see Z's and G's everywhere now. The production number for 03 are going to be in the neighborhood of 60K combined, vs 8 k for the Crossfire. Also, my friend bought a Z when they first came out, and the cheap interior is already breaking apart. Either way let us know what you decide and have fun!

Quick Reply: Mark up!!!!