Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

HELP! Transmission Fluid?

Old 03-24-2009 | 07:16 PM
Exclamation HELP! Transmission Fluid?

Hi guys.

I have a transmission leak on my '05 Xfire, and I was wondering how and where I can add transmission fluid (this is just to buy me a few days before taking it to the dealer).

I thought there was a transmission fill tube somewhere, but I'm not sure (and if there is one, is it capped off)?

Can someone please let me know where and how I can add a little tranny fluid?

Thanks much!

~Richelle

Old 03-24-2009 | 07:24 PM
Default Re: HELP! Transmission Fluid?

There is a filler tube................there is NO dipstick in the tube to check the level. On my SRT the filler tube is just below the passenger side airbox(needs to be removed) and I bought the M-B "special tool" to check my level. Basically it's a giant dipstick that is used for all M-B transmissions that don't have a factory installed one(which is pretty much everything made in the last decade).

Old 03-24-2009 | 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
There is a filler tube................there is NO dipstick in the tube to check the level. On my SRT the filler tube is just below the passenger side airbox(needs to be removed) and I bought the M-B "special tool" to check my level. Basically it's a giant dipstick that is used for all M-B transmissions that don't have a factory installed one(which is pretty much everything made in the last decade).
Is there a cap on the tube? What does it say, if so?

Old 03-24-2009 | 07:35 PM

Yes there is a cap on it.... it says.. DONT OPEN

Okay.... it really says... "MB Workshop Only" on it..

Old 03-24-2009 | 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by OC Xfire
Is there a cap on the tube? What does it say, if so?

I never looked to see if it actually says anthing on it. Mine was a plain black plastic "lock on" cap that just covered/sealed the end of the tranny tube. They went with such a design to try to keep you from doing your own work............and taking it to the stealership instead.

Old 03-24-2009 | 07:40 PM

What about "MB Workshop Only?" -- Not sure if the SRT6 is different. I have a Limited and I only see something that says "MB Workshop Only."

Anyone, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-24-2009 | 07:43 PM

It means that one the MB Workshop is supposed to go in there....

You can pop the cap off and use a LOOOOOONG tie wrap as a dip stick. You just have to know how to measure it correctly.. right temp...how much...

Old 03-24-2009 | 07:52 PM

Awesome...thanks for your help guys. Figuring out the capacity without a dipstick is going to be fun, I'm sure.

The transmission slips off the line a bit when it's cold. Max capacity is 8.5 quarts, so I'm just going to add 1/2 quart of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF (which is the equivalent to the MB crap) to hold me off from paying my $100 deductible at the stealership. LOL

P.S. I saw a couple older posts from people who had to break their cap...mine popped right off, no breaking/replacing needed!

Thanks again, I appreciate it!

~Richelle

Old 03-26-2009 | 03:44 PM

The leak is probably the "O" ring in the electrical connector. The transmission fluid is Shell 3403 which you may find at a Shell Distributor or you can stop at any Mercedes dealer or possibly at a Chrysler dealer and buy it. It is a unique ATF so don't put just anything in it. There is no dipstick because the level is critical and, in addition to the dipstick tool, something is needed to measure the trans temperature when you fill it. I use an infrared thermometer that I aim at the oil pan but the dealers, I was told, plug the car into their computer and it tells them the temp. I don't recommend fooling with the transmission unless you have a lot of extra cash to cover your errors!

Old 03-26-2009 | 04:35 PM
Talking Re: HELP! Transmission Fluid?

THis may be of assistance for you to see, ENJOY,WOODY

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...smission+video

Old 03-26-2009 | 04:39 PM
Wink Re: HELP! Transmission Fluid?

Woopsie found another one for ya

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ssion+dipstick

Old 03-28-2009 | 09:30 AM
Forum Regular

The leak is common for the Crossfire. It's the "O" ring in the electrical connector. Dealer will charge you around $100.00 to repair. Not a big deal. Don't worry about the dipstick. Electronic warning system will warn you before it's serious. And it is a bit of a hassle to get back in there anyway.

Old 03-29-2009 | 02:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by howvood
The leak is probably the "O" ring in the electrical connector. The transmission fluid is Shell 3403 which you may find at a Shell Distributor or you can stop at any Mercedes dealer or possibly at a Chrysler dealer and buy it. It is a unique ATF so don't put just anything in it. There is no dipstick because the level is critical and, in addition to the dipstick tool, something is needed to measure the trans temperature when you fill it. I use an infrared thermometer that I aim at the oil pan but the dealers, I was told, plug the car into their computer and it tells them the temp. I don't recommend fooling with the transmission unless you have a lot of extra cash to cover your errors!
What I don't understand is that if the level is so critical, wouldn't you rather be able to check it and make sure it's not low? One thing I don't understand about new German cars is that they don't even give you a dipstick to check the oil. Don't you think that some people would want to be able to SEE how their oil or transmission fluid looks as they check it? I sure like to see it to make sure something bad isn't going on in there.

Wouldn't you think the required temp to check the transmission fluid pretty much be normal operating temp like any normal car anyways?

Old 03-29-2009 | 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by No Warning Shot
What I don't understand is that if the level is so critical, wouldn't you rather be able to check it and make sure it's not low? One thing I don't understand about new German cars is that they don't even give you a dipstick to check the oil. Don't you think that some people would want to be able to SEE how their oil or transmission fluid looks as they check it? I sure like to see it to make sure something bad isn't going on in there.

Wouldn't you think the required temp to check the transmission fluid pretty much be normal operating temp like any normal car anyways?

Manufacturers and dealerships don't want "common folks'' to be messing with anything under the hood. Go out and buy a NEW M-B and there's not even a dipstick tube...........you have to plug in a Star Scan computer to read out the digital level and there's a special fill plug in the tranny. New BMW's(at least the E92 M3) don't even have oil dipsticks either!!! These aren't your old pushrod V8 Cheverolet, they are VERY advanced and precise machines that require special attention that most do not know about.

Old 03-29-2009 | 04:30 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
Manufacturers and dealerships don't want "common folks'' to be messing with anything under the hood. Go out and buy a NEW M-B and there's not even a dipstick tube...........you have to plug in a Star Scan computer to read out the digital level and there's a special fill plug in the tranny. New BMW's(at least the E92 M3) don't even have oil dipsticks either!!! These aren't your old pushrod V8 Cheverolet, they are VERY advanced and precise machines that require special attention that most do not know about.
Sounds pretty "special" to me lol. DURRRRRR. How am I to know my oil is low or my tranny is going to grenade because this uber-engineered German mechanical work of art is just not well-engineered enough to not blow an o-ring and leak fluid.

Old 03-29-2009 | 04:45 PM

Sounds pretty "special" to me lol. DURRRRRR. How am I to know my oil is low or my tranny is going to grenade because this uber-engineered German mechanical work of art is just not well-engineered enough to not blow an o-ring and leak fluid.

Take it to you friendly stealership.

No car is, was or ever will be perfect. All have flaws(just like people) and you have to pick which one has the kind of flaws you can deal with.

Old 03-29-2009 | 08:02 PM
Forum Regular

It's just things like this that irk me about modern society like people can't do things for themselves either because they're too lazy or are prohibited in some way from doing something so simple and have to get someone else to do it. No one can think for themselves anymore. Even a auto-illerate person like grandma could get a competent person to pull out a dipstick and not have to take it to some dealership to get some person to hook it up to a computer to read the oil level when even the mechanic himself couldn't just pull out some sort of dipstick and be able to see themself what sort of condition the oil is even in. It's better than relying on some sensor. If my engine or transmission is soooo sophisticated why can't I make sure myself that I'm preventing the demise of something so well-engineered and expensive. How could I consider something so well-engineered it doesnt even have a dipstick? That's ridiculous!

Think with your dipstick Jimmy! lol

Last edited by No Warning Shot; 03-29-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2009 | 06:39 PM

Think with your dipstick Jimmy! lol

I LOVE that commercial!!!