Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Cruise Control won't turn on!!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: Cruise Control won't turn on!!

Originally Posted by maxcichon

I just can't let this pass. A servo is any electromechanical device that uses an external programming signal to control another device. Trust me, a vacuum motor while a servo, is not the only servo.

In your last post, you mentioned "the throttle body motor". That, too is a "servo".

Truely.

Back on topic:

And, after I poked aruond on mbworld, the question of tire sizes came up. Are yours OEM, or have you changed the sizes?
I just quoted from the manual and I cannot, after investigation, deny what you say is true. I stand corrected. At least I am brushing up on my knowledge, which is a good thing.
For interest see the following site which states your comments as true.
http://www.picoauto.com/applications...e-control.html

After more thought I think a brake related problem can be discounted and I would focus on the speed control switch and the wires and contacts from it. The PCM being presumably OK, hopefully.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a neat article. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon

I just can't let this pass. A servo is any electromechanical device that uses an external programming signal to control another device. Trust me, a vacuum motor while a servo, is not the only servo.

In your last post, you mentioned "the throttle body motor". That, too is a "servo".

Truely.

Back on topic:

And, after I poked aruond on mbworld, the question of tire sizes came up. Are yours OEM, or have you changed the sizes?
All OD's are different from OEM. Same wheels & tires all the way around. All 4 are 18" wheels. All 4 are 225 width. The front OD is oversized from OEM, and the rear OD is slightly smaller from OEM. I don't remember how much though. And i don't remember the aspect ratio off the top of my head either. Maybe 35? Either way, I'm sure only one ratio out of 30, 35, and 40 will yield OD's where the front is slightly bigger and the rear is slightly smaller.

You guys rock. Thank you SO MUCH for helping me out with this. You are leaps & bounds smarter than me!!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Brake pedals are returned to a stop by a spring, the brake pedal height is not influenced by the wear on the pads, any extra fluid required to make up the volume that has been increased by the pistons position is made up automatically by the reservoir on the return stroke of the master piston in the reservoir. Failure of this spring would allow the pedal to drop and imitate the pedal movement that switches off the speed control, that would be a doubtful reason though, but who knows.
As the speed control switch appears to accellerate the car, I would think that what is stopping the system from setting the speed is something to do with a signal that says the brakes are in use, the minimum speed has not been reached, or that the car is in park. Is there something amiss at the throttle body motor which presumably is the component that holds the speed? I shall keep looking, but I can see it is a real puzzle.
To be honest, I have no idea. Haven't looked.

Funny story though. I was putting my intercooler back on my SRT4 one day. The IC was sitting in the garage for months. I didn't even think to look in it. I spent 11 hours putting the car back to stock. IC was last component. I even test drove it after I did everything except the IC. Worked great. So I swapped the IC at 10:30 at night (had to work at 7am the next day). I tried to start it at 11:30pm and bam. stalled immediately. Wouldn't stay started. Had to get a rental car for the next work day and have the car towed to the dealership. I'm sitting talking to the sales guy about a new car and the service tech comes up to me with a dirty packing peanut in his hand. It hit me before he even said something. "Any idea how this got wedged into the throttle body's idle motor?" "Uhhhh... Nope! Must have sucked it in while driving!" "You mean you sucked it THROUGH THE AIR FILTER!!?? Gee! How'd ya do that!?" Yeah, I looked like an idiot.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I just quoted from the manual and I cannot, after investigation, deny what you say is true. I stand corrected. At least I am brushing up on my knowledge, which is a good thing.
For interest see the following site which states your comments as true.
http://www.picoauto.com/applications...e-control.html

After more thought I think a brake related problem can be discounted and I would focus on the speed control switch and the wires and contacts from it. The PCM being presumably OK, hopefully.
Should be fine. No noticable issues. Drives like a European charm (revs much higher than my SRT8).

Old 03-26-2009, 11:20 AM

OK, looking through these last few posts, I might rule out the throttle position motor as it seems to work OK when driving normally.

The MB forum suggests that if the front/rear rolling ratios are off, it might exite/confuse the traction control which, for safety/obvious reasons will disengage or prevent the cruise control from working.

Do you still have the OEM tires and wheels to put back on for a test?

Just a thought...

Last edited by maxcichon; 03-26-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:14 PM

And this is a Mercedes TSB:

Cruise Control - Inoperative _ P-30-30-61 _ 30-Dec-04

Maybe? You'll have to check it out...

Old 08-18-2019, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by all_Bran
2005 Crossfire Limited Roadster

I'm having an issue with the cruise control. Am I correct to assume that all you need to do to turn on cruise control is either move the lever up or down to SET it at the speed you're currently at? I did that, and it never SET. When I moved the lever UP to the ACCEL/SET position, and you could feel the car try to speed up (ACCEL). But it never locked in the speed.

The only thing I can think of is that I currently have my winter wheels/tires on which don't have pressure monitors. So technically the car thinks it has 4 flat tires, right?

Anybody seen this before? I have seen it work before, but havent' tried it in months. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I don't know if you have fixed your cruise control issue or not. I have a 2004 Crossfire and I finally fixed mine today. I feel kind of stupid, but it was simple.
The cruise lever does go up for accel set, and down to decrease and set. Now look at the very top and it says off. With or without the key on pull the lever toward you. Now try your cruise control again. I pulled the lever 2 or 3 times mine works fine now. I'm a dummy but it works. Good luck and let me know. 2005 C F Ken

Old 08-18-2019, 11:06 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by kendsmith
I don't know if you have fixed your cruise control issue or not. I have a 2004 Crossfire and I finally fixed mine today. I feel kind of stupid, but it was simple.
The cruise lever does go up for accel set, and down to decrease and set. Now look at the very top and it says off. With or without the key on pull the lever toward you. Now try your cruise control again. I pulled the lever 2 or 3 times mine works fine now. I'm a dummy but it works. Good luck and let me know. 2005 C F Ken
This is a ten year old thread.

He hasnt posted since 2010: