Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

crap headlights

Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question crap headlights

Hi, everybody.

I have just bought my first crossfire coupe and I am mega impressed with it. It is certainly a headturner.

Has anybody out there had to change or upgrade the headlights or bulbs on dip beam due to them not projecting the light a useable distance. On unlit roads the headlights are so dim I have had to drive on full beam which is obviously not ideal.
Is there perhaps a legal upgrade bulb to fix this problem.

Thanks

Old 01-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: crap headlights

Do a search on HID kits. There have been many recent threads.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest you do some checking of your headlight system. While HID's are great, the OEM lights are really not that bad.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May wanna check your headlamp adjustments. An easy way to do that is to pull up about six or eight feet away from a wall, garage door, etc. with your lights on. Are the beams approx. the same height and directly ahead of the car ? If not adjust or have a technician adjust them. Another common problem is that replacement bulbs are sometimes not seated properly when installed.

Just my Dos Centavos

Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Default crap headlights

I have owned many cars yet have never had an OEM headlight system that equalled the one in our Crossfires.

You know the saying "Crap in equals crap out"!

I have to agree that it is time to get the alignment of them checked. Also make certain all bulbs are burning. Mine light up the road extrememly well and yet I have never been "asked" to dim them because they were blinding an oncoming car.

There are more powerful bulbs available (not legal in all States perhaps) but I cannot understand the need provided yours are operational and adjusted properly.

Jim

Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

Perhaps they are just foggy lenses. Obvious I know but....
Not everybody notices their lenses.

roadster with a stick

Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 AM

I was on a dark road the other night and noticed the lights seemed dim, no problem on bright. I also noticed that the exterior lens' are delaminating. does anyone know if they are expensive to replace?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sportsfan45
I'm not quite sure that HIDs are actually legal depending on where you live. From what I read if a car ORIGINALLY came with HIDs they are legal but if you swap them out then its not legal.

If you have a UK spec car you should also have a headlight adjustment in cockpit.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by facpro
I was on a dark road the other night and noticed the lights seemed dim, no problem on bright. I also noticed that the exterior lens' are delaminating. does anyone know if they are expensive to replace?
Should be done under warrentee. If not some people apply Mcguires PlasticX or the 3M equilvelent to get it off.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Crossfire has projector head lights. If the bulb is not in the proper position the light output is terrible. I would check to see that the bulb is fully in postion and once in place that the metal clip is secure. I put HIDs in my crossfire and initially didn't have one bulb in exactly the right position. Once the bulb was seated correctly there was no problem.

The following users liked this post:
jefecito (10-23-2022)
Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Forum Regular

go with hid's low beams, and fogs. I had a major problem with the headlights, and after switching to hid's no problem at all. Pm if you need any more help. chris

Old 01-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kit Fox
I'm not quite sure that HIDs are actually legal depending on where you live. From what I read if a car ORIGINALLY came with HIDs they are legal but if you swap them out then its not legal.

If you have a UK spec car you should also have a headlight adjustment in cockpit.

That's how it is in Michigan as well... but what police officer is going to pull you over and ask you if your HID's came with your car? As long as you're running 4300k to 6000k you won't have any problems...

Old 01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, the original poster could be suffering from night blindness, a common condition among older folks.

Some say fog/driving lamps help with that condition? Not sure if he has them on his car.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Forum Regular

On my 08 and the the dipped headlights are the best I've owned, however the fog lights and high beams are just average, so I'll probably tweak them to the Philips X-treme halogen bulbs once they become more available in the states.

If your lights are crap-o, besides the other suggestions, halogens lose 30-50% of their brightness towards the end of their life as the burned filament deposits residue inside the bulb.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:30 PM

I am pleased with the headlights on the Crossfire, but when my highs and lows burn out, I am going to replace them with the Hoen xenonmatch Titanium bulbs. Will also replace the fog lights. Hoen I believe makes the best direct replacement bulbs. They are very high quality and last a couple of years. http://www.hoen-usa.com/index.htm

Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kit Fox

ummm what????? that is awesome

Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Forum Regular

^^^ There is an adjustment **** next to the lights that does vertical adjustment on UKDM cars.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:47 PM

Silverstar ultras work well. I had some after market blueish lights for about a week then I swaped to the Silverstar ultras, they are the best you can get without going all out HID.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by blond xo
Silverstar ultras work well. I had some after market blueish lights for about a week then I swaped to the Silverstar ultras, they are the best you can get without going all out HID.
SilverStars are good but very short lived. You may find yourself changing them out after a few short months according to others on the forum. Do a search for other discussions on the topic.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan45
Hi, everybody.

I have just bought my first crossfire coupe and I am mega impressed with it. It is certainly a headturner.

Has anybody out there had to change or upgrade the headlights or bulbs on dip beam due to them not projecting the light a useable distance. On unlit roads the headlights are so dim I have had to drive on full beam which is obviously not ideal.

Thanks
Try the lights on the Chrysler LH cars, Concorde, LHS etc they come from the horse and buggy era, the lenses lasted though.

Quick Reply: crap headlights