Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the finished product?
Unacceptable, I want my money back ASAP
78.26%
I can make it work
21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

WARNING SIDE SKIRTS "BUYER BEWARE" - AMG SLK STYLE Side Skirts for the crossfire

Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: AMG SLK STYLE Side Skirts for the crossfire

so much for direct replacement...we supposedly had a car to be fitted to, and somehow it all ended up with Dan...Dan never was in the picture, and I don't know when Dan came into this venture, but there was supposed to be a car available for fitment, so this product would be direct replacement, not bolt over, not the a cheap ricer bolt on...I will not cheapen my car guys, these will be sold to whoever wants them for whatever I can get...I knew it to be a risk, but Dan and his group were never in it as far as I knew. Quality seems to be an issue...and I don't think Jon or you Rudy like the product, so why would we....if there isn't a fix, ship them, I'll find someone to work on them...or I'll be the first to shove them up Dan's @ss....when ever I get the pleasure...venting...makes me feel better...but this is BS...

Old 05-19-2009, 07:13 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Please vote and add your comments.

I say make Dan return all the money, and let him sell them on his INTERNET site. He's the culprit here.

Last edited by FP; 05-19-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:23 PM

a comment from my body shop owner, says it best, is that when installing these kinds of products, he likes to work directly with the manufacturer so when there is a fitment problem, he has his option to ship them back for fitment...he doesn't like to have to make something work, it should work, when he recieves it. He will bill per hr while trying to make them look factory, but won't know that until he sees them...his guess will be 3 hrs a side...unless he has to add material, then more hrs + materials. At $110 an hr, this can add up...obviously, I won't pay that rate, but half that is still too much to make them work....

Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
a comment from my body shop owner, says it best, is that when installing these kinds of products, he likes to work directly with the manufacturer so when there is a fitment problem, he has his option to ship them back for fitment...he doesn't like to have to make something work, it should work, when he recieves it. He will bill per hr while trying to make them look factory, but won't know that until he sees them...his guess will be 3 hrs a side...unless he has to add material, then more hrs + materials. At $110 an hr, this can add up...obviously, I won't pay that rate, but half that is still too much to make them work....
I just don't get it Doc. The whole purpose of having a local car for fitting was to do just that, and test them for a straight bolt on placement before being massed produced. What part of this was confusing to Dan

Old 05-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had I known our old friend Dan was involved in this, I never would have invested. I suspect many others feel the same way. Why was his involvement concealed? <guess I just answered my own question>

Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did not order but I do have a suggestion. Get someone from the company to come out and fix it.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option is to deliver the part and a partial refund to make the proper repairs.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually do not complain about doing a little additional work to make something work the way I want it to, but this is a whole different ball game. There was plenty of time and money invested in this ordeal for a near direct replacement part to be made. JR spent the money to purchase factory SLK AMG skirts to be sent down and retro-fitted for prototype. I spoke with Jonny multiple times on the phone before this project started trying to find skirts from any dealer who had them. If the facility who took on this project knew there was going to be an issue, they should not have taken on the project in the first place. I refuse to put that on my car.
Thanks to the guys at JRconcepts,
Bryan Tracy

Old 05-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by FP

I say make Dan return all the money, and let him sell them on his INTERNET site. He's the culprit here.

I agree 100% with this idea... if he thinks the quality is good enough, let him sell them.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A pessimist might say: Not being up on all the issues with "Dan" who appears to be one of the principals of the project; is there fraud involved?

Using our money to finance a project and perhaps intentionally completing the project in a manner that will be unsatisfactory to the financial backers...makes an inexpensive, planned modification to repair the problem... and after alienating all the financial backers, who demand and receive refunds of all the money... An unscrupulous businessman then sells them for higher price on EBay and never had to put up any money himself?

Is this possible? Didn't I read somewhere these popped up on Ebay?

Last edited by parawxman; 05-19-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bhays
Had I known our old friend Dan was involved in this, I never would have invested. I suspect many others feel the same way. Why was his involvement concealed? <guess I just answered my own question>
Dan's involvement was concealed because he concealed it through the use of the name Cliff and username CWSRT6. We had no idea he was our test fitter and had we known, for obvious reasons, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now because either A) we would have found a different test fitter, B) we'd have gotten one of our cars out there for test fitting or C) never went through with the group buy. It wasn't until about a month or so ago that we knew he was the one involved, well after everything had gone underway.

We're just as unhappy (if that would be the right word to use) about all of this as everyone else on here.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 PM

the prototype was the key here...if you can make a direct replacement, the project moves forward...if you can't then the projects dead. It's that simple. My friend use to build boats, you wouldn't believe how many failed molds sit on the back of his lot until he reached perfection on the mold he wanted. Its part of the process of building a very good product, vs a cheap immitation...for a quick buck...this I know Jon nor Rudy was after...too bad...this old boy is peeved to no end...trust me...

Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im on my way to the hotel sit tight for an earfull I'm not gonna type it on this iPhone

Old 05-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
I agree 100% with this idea... if he thinks the quality is good enough, let him sell them.
and let unsuspecting Ebay buyers deal with the poor fit? especially when they may end up here afterwards and find out they were duped...

Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. F
and let unsuspecting Ebay buyers deal with the poor fit? especially when they may end up here afterwards and find out they were duped...
That would be for the seller to decide.... I dont think these should be sold to anyone.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rcompart
After initial fitment of the sideskirts, I personally am rather displeased with the overall design of them. I want everyone to post on here their opinion in this thread, not via PM or email as this is all information that both Dan and the company that manufactured these need to see and I want it all public record.

The fitment of these sideskirts have a few issues, some of which I feel are very detrimental to the overall satisfaction of everyone that has purchased them. Some people may not find these things objectionable while others will agree with me that this is simply not acceptable and needs to be dealt with accordingly.

The first problem with the sideskirts comes from the actual manufacturing of them. The mold was made in a way that the sideskirt needs to be pushed up against the chassis in a rather aggressive manner. It does not follow the same design of the original sideskirt as you can see in the image below. This causes the sideskirt to have a natural tendency to try and push away from the vehicle either on the top and sides, the bottom or both. This is also a problem from the standpoint that these need to be fitted prior to paint and when removed from the vehicle will take on their original shape which will again have to be bent to be isntalled. I equate this with instead of being an "L" shape, it's is more like a "(" shape that you squish together to make it into an "L" shape.

The second problem with these is the lack of the mounting tabs on the front of the sideskirt to attach it to the car. Dan has insisted that this isn't a problem and some of you may agree but Jon and myself find this is a very important part that is necessary to the proper fitment of the sideskirts and that the solution Dan wants to implement to correct this is simply not a viable option considering how these were supposed to be made. Below you will see images of the mounting tabs on the factory sideskirt vs the lack of them on the other one, how the lack of these tabs affects the fitment of the sideskirt and what Dan has proposed to fix this problem.

Now per Dan's request because he feels that all this is completly acceptable, I want everyone's opinions posted to this thread. Yes, no or indifferent, I want to know. Don't hold back and be honest as I'm not going to be offend by what is said.
On the third photo (shows the skirt mounted but has a gap towards the front) would this be corrected by using the L brackets shown screwed to the car. Or are there other areas not showing in the photo that also have a gap. Would the excessive pressure needed to mount these once they are painted be enough to crack the paint when reinstalling. It has been my experience installing other kits on other cars that adjustments (reasonable adjustments) are pretty much standard. Although I have found the German made pieces fit perfectly. They are the only ones. I have one of these new CF side skirts. I don't mind making some minor adjustments, but I don't want to make major adjustments. I will be installing these myself. More information now and when it becomes available would be greatly appreciated. I bought these from Dan after a purchase I made on his web sight.
At the time I did not know that he was associated in any way with this forum as a member, or this project. I received mine today.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 PM

man, I don't know...I'll leave it up to my body shop...he's very good, but I don't want to have to do that kind of thing to my car...in order to make them work...they should've been close...they obviously didn't hold shape when taken out of the molds...there could have been a lot things that caused that...just have to wait until I see them I guess...but I won't put on something that looks like a cheap bolt on...or stressed to point they want to break the fastener holding them on...skirts take a lot of hits when running in the rain and such....let alone the stress of the car flexing, even though it doesn't flex much, it still moves...

Old 05-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FP

Being that I have yet to receive mine, can I get a refund instead? I can buy the SLK skirts and modify them. This really sucks man. I was really looking forward to seeing these on my car. Oh well, I TAKE THAT REFUND on the grounds of false advertisement. Johnnie and RC', not your fault at all. We were all misled. Unless YOU, cliff, can give me a solid product like you promised, I want a refund by May 29, 2009! I can find other things to waste $465 on.

Last edited by BORICAN; 05-19-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Forum Regular

After looking at the photo's of Dan's car I noticed "for the sake of the photo" they were in position on his CF and it doesn't look like there is any stress. Enough to pull the masking tape off anyway. It seems to me if you had to force or stretch these to fit very aggressively the tape would not hold the panel to the body. I won't have time to dry fit mine until Friday. I'll find out then.
On the other hand if they are distorted in terms of shape, then it's not going to happen.
As I stated before when customizing a car with fiberglass panels you always have to do some bondo work and grinding. It's just a fact of life. Of course within reason.
These are things that need to be found out before panic sets in.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 PM

I did not pre-order these, but did anyone think it would come out differently than it did. I mean, waiting all these months, all of those promises, and all of that deposit money. These should have been made, fitted, and THEN sold. Buyer beware. This is bad for all of you, but if by chance you get them to work, after lots of money spent, then maybe they might look great.

Quick Reply: WARNING SIDE SKIRTS "BUYER BEWARE" - AMG SLK STYLE Side Skirts for the crossfire