Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the finished product?
Unacceptable, I want my money back ASAP
78.26%
I can make it work
21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

WARNING SIDE SKIRTS "BUYER BEWARE" - AMG SLK STYLE Side Skirts for the crossfire

Old 05-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AMG SLK STYLE Side Skirts for the crossfire

Now I have to get off my *** and buy a SRT bumper, paint both parts and install these sweet puppies.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
BTW, those that weren't part of the group buy, please PM me if you are interested in getting more information about the sideskirts.

Thank you
BTW, I got your PM and look forward to seeing them at my front door tomorrow.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

sitting in your rocker on the front porch waiting inferno???? How 'bout by the end of the wk....LOL>..I can wait that long...but not any longer...LOL....I bet these babies go for 4 figures after all this...rt Rudy...???

Old 05-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

Has delivery been confirmed yet? Did anybody get theirs? I took the week off work waiting but no delivery showed up.

Am I confused?

Old 05-15-2009, 09:06 PM

I hope you all get those skirts because I really want a set but i'm skeptical to invest in a set.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:11 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

They are getting them this week. They will fit them to test and ship to us hopefully by end of next week. That's how I understood it.

Keep your pants on guys. We're all antsy.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I think that would be keep your skirts on....speaking of skirts FP...I like the one on the end , we need a close up of her....

Old 05-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
They are getting them this week. They will fit them to test and ship to us hopefully by end of next week. That's how I understood it.

Keep your pants on guys. We're all antsy.
FP is right. We're almost there guys. Just an FYI, Jon won't even let me put a set on my car until everyone's skirts are sent out. We're busting our tails trying to get these out to everyone as fast as we can.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any shipped out yet?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:06 AM

We received the skirts yesterday to our shop and we are going through them to make sure everything is correct.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:37 PM

We received the skirts yesterday to our shop and we are going through them to make sure everything is correct.
Pick me out the Best ones! I can't wait to see these on our cars! Hope everyone post pics, would like to see the diff colors.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Forum Regular

I have no doubt these will be top quality, I was wondering just how close the fit will be, however. In other words, would I be safe taking the skirts directly to my painter to be scuffed and painted then installing them or will they need to be test fit and some body work done prior to paint?

Thanks.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 PM

After initial fitment of the sideskirts, I personally am rather displeased with the overall design of them. I want everyone to post on here their opinion in this thread, not via PM or email as this is all information that both Dan and the company that manufactured these need to see and I want it all public record.

The fitment of these sideskirts have a few issues, some of which I feel are very detrimental to the overall satisfaction of everyone that has purchased them. Some people may not find these things objectionable while others will agree with me that this is simply not acceptable and needs to be dealt with accordingly.

The first problem with the sideskirts comes from the actual manufacturing of them. The mold was made in a way that the sideskirt needs to be pushed up against the chassis in a rather aggressive manner. It does not follow the same design of the original sideskirt as you can see in the image below. This causes the sideskirt to have a natural tendency to try and push away from the vehicle either on the top and sides, the bottom or both. This is also a problem from the standpoint that these need to be fitted prior to paint and when removed from the vehicle will take on their original shape which will again have to be bent to be isntalled. I equate this with instead of being an "L" shape, it's is more like a "(" shape that you squish together to make it into an "L" shape.

The second problem with these is the lack of the mounting tabs on the front of the sideskirt to attach it to the car. Dan has insisted that this isn't a problem and some of you may agree but Jon and myself find this is a very important part that is necessary to the proper fitment of the sideskirts and that the solution Dan wants to implement to correct this is simply not a viable option considering how these were supposed to be made. Below you will see images of the mounting tabs on the factory sideskirt vs the lack of them on the other one, how the lack of these tabs affects the fitment of the sideskirt and what Dan has proposed to fix this problem.

Now per Dan's request because he feels that all this is completly acceptable, I want everyone's opinions posted to this thread. Yes, no or indifferent, I want to know. Don't hold back and be honest as I'm not going to be offend by what is said.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Alignment.jpg (131.4 KB, 306 views)
No-mounting-tabs.jpg (123.4 KB, 301 views)
Front-fitment.jpg (160.9 KB, 303 views)
Brackets-attached.jpg (348.6 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by rcompart; 05-19-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Rudy,

All I can say is this is disappointing. To have waited this long and have such a knowledgeable person such as yourself come back with this feedback really blows!

I don't care what Dan says it isn't what we were sold. So what are our options at this point? If we accept the product as is how will this affect us in the long term? What do these fitment issues mean for us when they are installed on our cars?

I have to admit I was concerned with how these were going to fit especially in the front under the fender. Do you or Jonny see anyway that these can be made to work? I really hate to think that after all of this time that we can't make them work now.

Thank you for your continued support and advice.

Stay safe...

Respectfully,

Paul (MisterTaz)

Old 05-19-2009, 03:48 PM

I would like to make a request of the folks who have posted pictures in this thread. Can you please go back in your post and either resize them or remove them. It is extremely frustrating that I cannot read the end of the sentences in a post because the pictures resize the view in the browser and cut off the end of each full line.

/rant

All stay safe...

Respectfully,

Paul (MisterTaz)

Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM

I don't want to have to put more money into getting these things to work. I mean it would be fine if you guys can find an easy and cheap permanent fix because we have been waiting forever and it would be really shitty to get nothing out of all this patient waiting but at the same time I don't want to have to put another $100-$200 besides painting to have to get these skirts fitting correctly. Just my feelings about it all. I don't blame you guys because I know you two are as pissed as we are but it doesn't change the fact that I and the rest of the guys in the group buy were promised top quality products that wouldn't need additional work to be fitted. After waiting so long I'm really not ready to compromise for a substandard product.
Brandon

Last edited by Bubba89; 05-19-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular

Damn it! Somehow I expected this. I will defer to those with more expertise as to a possible solution..

Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I find it completely unacceptable. Maybe for those DIY folk who don't mind the twisting and forcing, but for us who are having them installed, it just won't work and would give the installers an excuse for the crappy installation.

Thanks, I think Dan who was the local guys coordinating and supervising the product failed to deliver AGAIN...

Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 PM

Rcom from the pics you displayed does it seem to you that it's the mounting hardware supplied that needs to be trimmed a little to make these a smoother fit or is the skirt itself the big issue?

FP a shop may actually be able to make those fit better if they've seen the problem before or have alternate mounting hardware, depends on how good they are. Not that they should have to but hopefully you can still make them work.

Really sucks to see this thread as long as it was to hear they don't fit properly after all the wait. They should been tested before they were shipped in my opinion.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 PM

Regarding the potential fix for the front of the skirt attachment... Speaking as a driver in the northern - salt -climates, drilling additional holes into the sheet metal of the car doesn't interest me. Especially as dirt and rust collects in this area and is hard/impossible to clean out behind the skirt. Not securing the skirt at the front to the car isn't an option, at high speed the air flow is going to rip these right off the car.

My understanding was these were a direct replacement, hence my investment. The offers in the past few months to refund all our money does not make up for our investment; Simply handing back $xxx dollars when we've collectively allowed our funds to finance this product and is more like a loan at zero interest that allows the seller to turn and charge a higher price to a new buyer. With my disapproval of the currently advertised fix and as an investor in this, I'd rather receive the skirts along with an agreed upon and appropriate amount of funds returned to pay a body shop to design an attachment I approve of, and all this without further delay receiving my resources

Quick Reply: WARNING SIDE SKIRTS "BUYER BEWARE" - AMG SLK STYLE Side Skirts for the crossfire