Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

How in the F do you change the headlight bulb? Broken thumb edition.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts
Default How in the F do you change the headlight bulb? Broken thumb edition.

I have been trying now for an hour to get my drivers side low beam bulb out. There is a metal clip and then I tug on the bulb and it keeps running into the metal clip. Now its just hanging there and I can't get it back in or out. Nice design.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How in the F do you change the headlight bulb? Broken thumb edition.

Disconnect the the plug from the bulb first then push the bottom of clip in a little and move it to the left or right depends which light it is. Then when you unclip it you can lift it up out of the way to remove the bulb. It might be easier if you have a long curved pair of needle nose pliers. It makes it a lot easier than trying to do it with your fingers.

Last edited by robby363; 10-17-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: How in the F do you change the headlight bulb? Broken thumb edition.

As RayRich said at our last DFWXfire GTG, get a dental mirror and needle nose pliers. He read about it here in the forum and went to Walmart and got um. Popped it on in about ten seconds. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 PM

The part with the wires won't seperate from the bulb.

Holy crap I think I'm stuck with one headlight. It won't come loose, I tried pliers and I don't have a dental mirror.....

Halp

Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's the first time the plug has been removed it's on there tight. It will come off if you wiggle and pull on it hard at the same time.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by robby363
If it's the first time the plug has been removed it's on there tight. It will come off if you wiggle and pull on it hard at the same time.
I pulled on it so hard that the entire housing seems to have come loose from the assembly!!!! I won't budge! DAMN IT TO HELLL!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAYAman
I pulled on it so hard that the entire housing seems to have come loose from the assembly!!!! I won't budge! DAMN IT TO HELLL!

Yeah, grab the plastic with your hands and wiggle / pull as hard as you can.. the harness HAS to come off...

Then push in the metal tab and push to the side, then pull the metal spring up and remove the bulb..

Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 AM

If you think that one is hard wait till you have to change the one on the passenger side.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
If you think that one is hard wait till you have to change the one on the passenger side.
lol this is something to really look forward to.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went to the dealer and paid 20 bucks to get them to change them well worth every f,ing penny

Old 10-18-2008, 07:59 AM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by manisusmc
i went to the dealer and paid 20 bucks to get them to change them well worth every f,ing penny
I have to agree. Not worth doing yourself after reading the threads of how hard it can be to do and the risk of breaking that clip. That's the only reason I didn't do my own HIDs.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:37 PM

If you go to the dealer to have them change the bulbs, like I have 4 times, and I forgot this last time......make sure that you have them point the car into a dark wall and look how they have the one they just put in pointing. I have to go back again sigh...and have them lower the one they just installed. Sure is a waist of my time again! I can see an owl in a tree at night, it points that high in the sky, lol

Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done it twice on both the Crossfires. Fourth time is no easier but REFUSE to take it in just for the principle of the thing. I have kinda come to accept it as a sword in a stone, a Wterloo or maybe a sqare peg in a round hole kind a thing.
What's really nice is when you get them back in but first time you drive down the highway at night you discover they're not in the socket correctly so you get to do them again. Oh well I guess it's no different than marrage to some...
Mike

Old 10-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by manisusmc
It was driving me nuts too and ended up taking it to the dealer.

Of course my stealership charged me a 100 bucks. I greatly despise them more and more everyday.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cruiser
If you go to the dealer to have them change the bulbs, like I have 4 times, and I forgot this last time......make sure that you have them point the car into a dark wall and look how they have the one they just put in pointing. I have to go back again sigh...and have them lower the one they just installed. Sure is a waist of my time again! I can see an owl in a tree at night, it points that high in the sky, lol
This could be two things. MOST LIKELY the bulb is not seated right... not the headlight aiming...

Anyways, I don't have that much of a problem anymore.. I can do it within a few minutes.. Anyone near sterling heights michigan want to pay me to change the bulbs for them?!!?

(Also accepting home cooked meals)

Old 02-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now have the pleasure of fixing my improperly seated bulbs.

I noticed that the drivers side low beams did not even have a metal clip in there! It must have been bouncing around while driving. I'm stealing the high beam clip as its not as important.

Anyone know where to get another clip(s)?

Old 02-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I found that if you take the headlights out, or at least un-mount them, it is really easy. It's only 4 bolts that are a lot easier to get too. (maybe the bolt up top by the grille for the bumper too).

I would also rather take the bumper of and the headlights out than fight with them the way they have them mounted if I couldnt do it by un-mounting the headlight.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MAYAman
I have been trying now for an hour to get my drivers side low beam bulb out. There is a metal clip and then I tug on the bulb and it keeps running into the metal clip. Now its just hanging there and I can't get it back in or out. Nice design.
See my posts in the following thread. That should help. It really isn't that hard if you use a mirror and needlenose pliers. Should take 30-60 minutes or so to change all of them. I found it easier to totally remove the clip, but you do run the risk of dropping them. Some say you wiggle the plug to get it off. I would use the word 'pry'. It can take quite a bit of force to get it off. Almost a twisting motiion.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-question.html

Last edited by corfire; 02-13-2010 at 10:13 PM.