Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Torn and Confused

Old 06-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torn and Confused

I'm ready to get another car, but I can't seem to make up my mind and pull the trigger. I thought I wanted another Crossfire (yeah, it'll be my 3rd), but then under the suggestion of a friend I went and test drove a loaded RX-8. I really liked the handling and the fit and finish. Not to mention a usable back seat. In fact I loved everything about the RX-8 except when I was on the interstate, I pushed the gas and it just didn't go like the crossfire did. Which is something I could live with. Hell, I don't need to be doing over 80 anyway. Everything else was great, the steering was tight and very responsive. Plenty of power up to 80.
So you all might be thinking well I guess Nick (13dog) is going to get an RX instead of another Crossfire, well that's where I start having issues. I love the Crossfire Family, the Get togethers, the cruises, and the feeling of driving something special.
Other than that I'd go with the RX, see I'm back and forth again.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Torn and Confused

On a scale of 1 to 10 - what's the perma-grin factor with the RX-8 as opposed to the perma-grin factor of the Crossfire ?
Hell it's only money ! Get one of each !

Old 06-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he covered the perma-grin factor
I pushed the gas and it just didn't go like the crossfire did,
try a SRT-6 first , but sounds like you are looking for room or a back seat try a GTO ,
i like those also....
RX8 are ok i test drove one also not much power ..
go with the GTO ..

Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 AM

I actually looked at a GTO, but they don't have the fit and finish that I'm looking for. I think one of the big reasons I like the RX-8 is the back doors. They really make getting in and out of a back seat easy. I've also already had a SRT-6. I didn't keep it for more than 6-7 months. They are very fast, but I didn't think they were as much fun as the limited crossfires. I found that the paddle shifters on the RX were alot of fun and very responsive. The RX had a very video game feel to it.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 AM

calling what the RX-8 has a "useable back seat" is a loose definition and very relative to the fact that the crossfire has no back seat. i rode around in a 40th anniversary edition RX-8 for a week and the backseat really can't hold any people... it is incredibly much a waste of space and seems like an afterthought in the design of the car.

Read this article on the RX-8. It was written by a long time friend of mine...Who also happens to own a crossfire. So he has some insight into what you may be thinking.

http://www.ourtribune.com/article.php?id=3288

Old 06-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Forum Regular

Does the new challenger have a backseat?? Put your name on that list.

The RX8 has a rotary engine right? I love the crossfire so obviously I'm biased, but gor fo an SRT. I never thought I could love a car this much-haha...

Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the RX-8 have a 4-cylinder rotary engine? I read a review that said despite producing high output for the engine it kills the gas mileage. I think it was like 18-19 mpg. For a little car like that I would expect more. I have always liked the looks of the RX8 however, though it could probably due to lose the back seat--but in a pinch I guess it would do the job.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
I'm ready to get another car, but I can't seem to make up my mind and pull the trigger. I thought I wanted another Crossfire (yeah, it'll be my 3rd), but then under the suggestion of a friend I went and test drove a loaded RX-8. I really liked the handling and the fit and finish. Not to mention a usable back seat. In fact I loved everything about the RX-8 except when I was on the interstate, I pushed the gas and it just didn't go like the crossfire did. Which is something I could live with. Hell, I don't need to be doing over 80 anyway. Everything else was great, the steering was tight and very responsive. Plenty of power up to 80.
So you all might be thinking well I guess Nick (13dog) is going to get an RX instead of another Crossfire, well that's where I start having issues. I love the Crossfire Family, the Get togethers, the cruises, and the feeling of driving something special.
There are two things about the RX8 I like:

1. The rotary engine. It's very, very small and so the engine compartment has tons of room.
2. The rear seats.

Other than that, it's all just personal preference.

Last edited by sonoronos; 06-20-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:09 AM

I've also already had a SRT-6. I didn't keep it for more than 6-7 months. They are very fast, but I didn't think they were as much fun as the limited crossfires.
WHAAAAAAAT????!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Forum Regular

The rx8 if fun when you drive it hard ( and its suppose to driven hard) but fuel mileage will kill your wallet.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nick, I've owned 5 Mazdas, my Father-in-Law had one, and I've known several people who had RX-8's. From my experience with Mazdas, I'd say nothing else drives like a Mazda, but I feel they are the least dependable of all the Japanese cars. Every single one I had needed some kind of mechanical work performed, even though I never kept any of them for a very long time. It was always some issue that I never needed to address with any other Japanese car that I owned. The 3 people who owned RX-8's all loved them, but hated the gas mileage (and this was when gasoline was a lot cheaper than now). All three of them kept the RX-8 for less than a year.
If having a (useable) back seat is important to you, as is fit and finish, with performance close to that of a Limited XF, I'd say go test drive a Civic SI. You may be surprised.
I had one all over my a$$ at the Dragons Tail, so don't tell me front wheel drive cars don't handle, and I'm sure HDDP can tell you stories of other front wheel drive cars he's tangled with on the track too.
There are tons of aftermarket parts and it's been my experience that Hondas are the most reliable cars on the planet.
But my first recommendation would be buy another Crossfire. Try a model or color you haven't had yet.
Personally, I can't think of any new car that's come out since I purchased my Crossfire that I want more. I like the new Challenger, but not enough to replace my XF with it.
No matter what you wind up with, don't worry about being ignored by the forum, we'll still talk to ya.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Forum Regular

I was readyto by a Civic SI when I ran into the XF.
Then I decided that fun beat practicality.
(and I still have a pickup when I need to haul something)

I remember reading where the Civic Si ran up more miles than any other car in Road & Tracks test pool.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:59 AM

Decisions, decisions.............
Close your eyes, Nick, & repeat after me: "'04 Alabaster Coupe, 58,000 miles located in N.E. Wisconsin, inexpensive, well-cared for, trouble-free". Treat this as your mantra & keep repeating it over & over again.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:01 AM

The civic Si is a great car. Not as good as the "JDM" Civic Type-R, but it is a quick car in its own right.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrobinso
Doesn't the RX-8 have a 4-cylinder rotary engine? I read a review that said despite producing high output for the engine it kills the gas mileage. I think it was like 18-19 mpg. For a little car like that I would expect more. I have always liked the looks of the RX8 however, though it could probably due to lose the back seat--but in a pinch I guess it would do the job.
Rotary engines don't have "cylinders". They're more analgous to having "little pockets" where the fuel & air is mixwed. I you wanted to think a rotary motor had "cylinders," then they have about 700 2cc cylinders that the apex seals slide across in I guess one would call a gyrograph kind of way?? (the toy that you'd stick a pencil in and it'd draw circles.

Rotary motors are very efficient as far as space vs. power. A 2.0L rotary can make 300HP easy, it's just that they burn oil and are rather complex. Probably why they don't enjoy market share like reciprocating engines both gas & diesel.

Justin

Old 06-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Nick.......I'll see you at the dragon in October........in your new Xfire..

Old 06-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Forum Regular

good one dan dan

Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I checked, there is an RX8 Forum and Club so make up your mind, just make sure you stay with Crossfire. Like Stogey said, have one of each.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irafatsar
good one dan dan
LOL....Nick knows me enough to know that I'm serious. And the dragon is in his back door, so if I can make it, he darn sure can.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Well?? What did you decide?

Quick Reply: Torn and Confused