Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Help With Bulb Replacement

Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Bulb Replacement

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum, but I know my question will garner the largest exposure here.

Succinctly, the small bulb at the outside top of my headlight module has burned out.

It appears to me, given my marginal mechanical skills, that the fitting is inaccessable. Short of removing adjacent pieces of body parts, is there a simple approach to my dilema????

Thanks............

Don

Old 01-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts
Default Re: Help With Bulb Replacement

As I have searched the threads it appears to be a difficult task that I have not yet been faced with. Do a search on "Bulb Replacement" to see what others had to do.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Cool Re: Help With Bulb Replacement

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
As I have searched the threads it appears to be a difficult task that I have not yet been faced with. Do a search on "Bulb Replacement" to see what others had to do.

Hi Guys - I have just replaced both these bulbs - its a bit of a fiddle but only took about 15 mins total. The car manual tells us to remove the headlamp units to gain access to the bulbs, which are indeed difficult yo get at. However, it can be done without doing this. With great care and patience, use a flat screwdriver to push against the moulded ridge of the bulb holder to gently rotate it, one quarter of a turn anticlockwise. Then pull it from its socket using the wires which are easy tolocate. The bulb holder is secured with just a bayonet fitting. Pull the bulbs from the sockets and push in the new ones. (I fitted some cool ice blue ones) Again, holding the wires, coax the bulbs into their sockits, and while holding them in place, rotate them with your screwdriver to secure. Good Luck !
Steve

Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Help With Bulb Replacement

If you have small hands and a lot of patience, you can reach the bulbs through the engine compartment. If you have large hands then you will have to remove the headlamp unit, again not easy and will require a little patience. I believe there are instructions in the owners manual that will tell you how to remove the headlamp unit.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:00 PM

Hi, Don!

It depends on what side of the car the burnt-out bulb lives on. The drivers side isn't too bad to get to using UK Steve's idea (which works!). The passenger side is tougher & will require small hands to get to. Know any kids with beefy forearms?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Hiltz
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum, but I know my question will garner the largest exposure here.

Succinctly, the small bulb at the outside top of my headlight module has burned out.

It appears to me, given my marginal mechanical skills, that the fitting is inaccessable. Short of removing adjacent pieces of body parts, is there a simple approach to my dilema????

Thanks............

Don
Read the first post here...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=20775

Old 01-06-2008, 01:22 PM

Hey Steve-UK........

I did it!!!!! I deviated from your strategy somewhat in that I initially rotated the fitting with a 1/2" open end wrench. It was too large, but I managed to get enough purchase on the fitting to allow me to rotate it. I finished with small screwdriver as you suggested.

One final thought: If the passenger side is more difficult than the driver's side, I hope the bulb outlives me.

Thanks to all............

Don

Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM

I just did the passenger bulb on the wife's SRT-6. After much consternation (my hands are medium sized), used a small pair of rough-toothed pliers (gently, slowly, counterclockwise viewed from engine compartment) while pushing on end of bulb socket with other hand. It worked and used similar procedure to reinstall.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the response(s). I found that the re-installation was much more difficult than the removal.

What were the engineers thinking?????

Don

Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Don Hiltz

Thanks............

Don

Don, I sent you some instructions however incomplete...i have asked a friend to send you the complete instructions....I hope it works out for you. I'm about to remove the headlamp switch,and deciding where to put the "Powered by Mercedes Benz" emblems....It should be fun squeezing under the dash pivoting my back across the door sill....