Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

leaking oil '05 crossfire

Old 10-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy leaking oil '05 crossfire

Just located some oil leaking from my crossfire, and found a small oil in the oil pan. I do remember hitting something on the expressway about 3-4 days ago, so i'm sure this is what happened. It's a small leak and will be going to the shop on tuesday. Just need to know if anyone has had a problem such as this, and what should the expected cost range to repair this at the dealer. I do have a 7/70 warranty on my car, but not sure if this would be covered, and since my deducible is only $100 would it even be worth it to file. Any information would be helpful before dropping my car off at the dealer for repair.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Default Re: leaking oil '05 crossfire

Has anyone paid for this type of repair at their dealers. How much did it cost?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you hit something on the road causing a hole in your oil pan, it should not be covered by your warranty. Sorry.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by xfire2005
If you hit something on the road causing a hole in your oil pan, it should not be covered by your warranty. Sorry.
It should be covered by your auto insurance though...if there is indeed a hole.

So, is there a hole, or no? Or just a leak from an undetermined source?

Unless they can prove you hit something in the road, I wouldn't mention it. Sounds like a normal oil leak to me...let them warranty it.

SQ

Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
So, is there a hole, or no? Or just a leak from an undetermined source?

Unless they can prove you hit something in the road, I wouldn't mention it. Sounds like a normal oil leak to me...let them warranty it.

SQ
There is a small hole, and I do remember hitting something 3-4 day ago while on the expressway. What should the estimate cost to replace the oil pan with estimate labor charges.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 638 Likes on 436 Posts

Don't all Crossfires have the big plastic panel below the engines to protect against objects hitting the bottom of the engine and to help prevent basic road dirt and water from directly splashing the engine ?
My '04 Coupe has a pan under the entire engine.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Don't all Crossfires have the big plastic panel below the engines to protect against objects hitting the bottom of the engine and to help prevent basic road dirt and water from directly splashing the engine ?
My '04 Coupe has a pan under the entire engine.
I was wondering the same thing.
Kardiac, are you sure it's not just coming from your oil drain bolt. Maybe it's not tight, or it needs a new washer.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I was wondering the same thing.
Kardiac, are you sure it's not just coming from your oil drain bolt. Maybe it's not tight, or it needs a new washer.
There is a plastic shield there protecting that area, however there is also a small (gash) in the plastic, and when placing my finger there I get oil... Just spoke with my service advisor and he states that if there was a hole in the oil pan, there would be oil all over the place, and the low oil light would been on a long time ago. I guess i'm please to here that news and hope the problem is not that serious. I will be taking it in tonight. I will keep you posted.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by kardiac
There is a plastic shield there protecting that area, however there is also a small (gash) in the plastic, and when placing my finger there I get oil... Just spoke with my service advisor and he states that if there was a hole in the oil pan, there would be oil all over the place, and the low oil light would been on a long time ago. I guess i'm please to here that news and hope the problem is not that serious. I will be taking it in tonight. I will keep you posted.
Kardiac, I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but the plastic shield comes off real easy. (just 4 screws). I change my own oil the old fashion way and I've had it off at least 6 times, and I don't even jack my car up to do it.
Taking my car back to the dealer is a last resort option as far as I'm concerned because of all the "horror" stories that I've heard about most of them. So I usually try to diagnose a problem, and fix it myself before I'd let them get their greasy mitts on my car.
All you really need to do after you take the shield off, is look to see where the oil is dripping from (there should be a dirty trail) and maybe put a socket wrench on the drain plug bolt to see if it's tight. I'm betting that's where your oil leak is coming from, since you said that you detected just a small amount .

Old 10-29-2007, 10:27 AM

I had an oil leak from the driver side Valve Cover, at about 13,000 miles. The oil was coming from the upper gasket, running down the engine and being caught by the plastic splash pan. I didn't know about the leak until I brought the car in for an oil change.

The dealer replaced the entire Cover Assembly at zero cost to me. However, it did take several days to get the part.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:51 AM

I'm wondering if it wasn't a valve cover leak, drain plug leak, or just residual 'spill' from an oil change that was caught underneath in the pan.

Then the thing you ran over 'cut' the pan and let the oil drip out of the engine underside cover, but not the oil pan.

Check your oil level - tell tale sign (do it digitally). Read the manual to figure out how to do this, it is pretty simple but I don't remember how off the top of my head.

SQ

Old 10-29-2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Kardiac, I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but the plastic shield comes off real easy. (just 4 screws). I change my own oil the old fashion way and I've had it off at least 6 times, and I don't even jack my car up to do it.
Taking my car back to the dealer is a last resort option as far as I'm concerned because of all the "horror" stories that I've heard about most of them. So I usually try to diagnose a problem, and fix it myself before I'd let them get their greasy mitts on my car.
All you really need to do after you take the shield off, is look to see where the oil is dripping from (there should be a dirty trail) and maybe put a socket wrench on the drain plug bolt to see if it's tight. I'm betting that's where your oil leak is coming from, since you said that you detected just a small amount.
Thanks, but after talking with the service guy, and checking my oil in which it is still at the normal level, I looked for the source and found it!!! It coming from what i think is the oil filter type structure. I notice it had a curved arrow showing which way to tighting it, and so I did. Do these things loosen up from time to time, I have been driving on some bad atlanta roads. I cleaned the oil off and with test it to see if any more pour from under the black cap before taking it back to the dealer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0002.JPG (178.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0004.JPG (192.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-29-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by kardiac
Thanks, but after talking with the service guy, and checking my oil in which it is still at the normal level, I looked for the source and found it!!! It coming from what i think is the oil filter type structure. I notice it had a curved arrow showing which way to tighting it, and so I did. Do these things loosen up from time to time, I have been driving on some bad atlanta roads. I cleaned the oil off and with test it to see if any more pour from under the black cap before taking it back to the dealer.
If it should happen to continue to leak, then I would check to see if the top O-ring on your oil filter bayonet is in the wrong position.
I'm glad you were able to find it yourself.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM

thanks for the troubleshooting info.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:31 PM
RPM

I would take that cartridge out and replace the filter and gaskets. Something is not right.
This link will help:
http://www.slk32.com/pages/oilchange/oilchange.html

Old 10-29-2007, 07:13 PM

Good advice RPM, here's what I'm concerned about.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ead.php?t=8172

Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with RPM. Replace the filter & gaskets. Its easy to do. While you have the filter cap off, look closely at the plastic threads and make sure they haven't been damaged. That cap is only supposed to be torqued to 25nm, which translates into 18.5 ft-lbs. That's not much more than hand tight. If you see any damage at all, spend the $60 or so and buy another one.

My guess is that the last mechanic forgot the top o-ring and just cranked the cap down nice and tight.

Edit: Use the appropriate sections of this link to get the cap off and re-torqued.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pgmikes
I had an oil leak from the driver side Valve Cover, at about 13,000 miles. The oil was coming from the upper gasket, running down the engine and being caught by the plastic splash pan. I didn't know about the leak until I brought the car in for an oil change.

The dealer replaced the entire Cover Assembly at zero cost to me. However, it did take several days to get the part.
PGMIKES,

I have the exact same problem. Oil leaking from small cover above the valve cover...but part of the valve cover with 2 breather hoses going in. They told me the small cover is not serviceable...and therefore the entire valve cover needs to be replaced.

Dealer is going to replace both valve covers. I had leaks on both sides.

In your case, do you know if they drained the oil and then replaced it after the new valve cover was put on? If so...did they use the same oil, or did they put brand new oil in?

Thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by BRappaport
PGMIKES,

I have the exact same problem. Oil leaking from small cover above the valve cover...but part of the valve cover with 2 breather hoses going in. They told me the small cover is not serviceable...and therefore the entire valve cover needs to be replaced.

Dealer is going to replace both valve covers. I had leaks on both sides.

In your case, do you know if they drained the oil and then replaced it after the new valve cover was put on? If so...did they use the same oil, or did they put brand new oil in?

Thanks
I'm not sure how it worked. But, they did not mention changing or draining the oil. I found it because I was going to change the oil. As soon as I got the car back from the dealer I changed it as planned.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by pgmikes

Dealer is replacing my valve cover gaskets on Monday and my daughters on Wednesday.. Also battery died last Tuesday night. They replaced the battery, but found out it was the alternator, which had to be ordered from Orlando on Friday. Hopefully it will be here on Monday.

I miss my SRT, I had to take Ashley's to the golf course this morning.

Quick Reply: leaking oil '05 crossfire