Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Another one bites the dust. Me

Old 09-03-2007 | 06:05 PM
Default Another one bites the dust. Me

Crossfireone

I picked up my Crossfire in Feb. An '04. I spent the next 3 months in love, biy what fun....then, for me, the fun went away, to be replaced by annoyance and aggravation. I just couldn't live with the Crossfire as a DD, and i do not have financial wherewithal to make it a toy. So i traded in my coupe on 8/31. I picked up a Caliber R/T AWD. Unlike many here, i actually do like Chrysler products. So far, i am pleased with my decision. Although the Caliber is far form fast, it will suit my needs as a DD here in W PA much better than the Crossfire. Plus, having it allows me to also sell my Jeep, which i had for the days i couldn't drive the crossfire.
I am selling my sat radio mounting bracket for my crossfire if anyone is interested.
My Caliber...

Old 09-03-2007 | 06:07 PM
Default Re: Another one bites the dust. Me

More...

Old 09-03-2007 | 06:16 PM

Sorry to see you go. I think you will probably have a bit more room in the new car. Mine is a DD and I still look forward every morning seeing and getting into the car and driving to work. Come back and visit. Your opinions are always welcome

PS The new Calliber looks great.

Last edited by RMADERMAN; 09-03-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2007 | 06:46 PM
Forum Regular

Sorry to see you go, but I fully understand and I agree that Crossfire would make a lousy DD. I know my DD takes a lot of abuse, abuse that I would never want to put my Crossfire through. I definitely think the Caliber was a good choice.

Old 09-03-2007 | 09:18 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Another one bites the dust. Me

I don't care what anyone says, but we are all going to part with our XFs sometime. Some of us sooner than later. Just come back to visit OK? Good luck with the new ride!!

Old 09-03-2007 | 09:20 PM

Thanks. I think a few years down the road, another Crossfire may be in my future. By then they will be a bit less expensive, and suitable for me as a toy. As for now, my '69 SAAB and '87 Cabrio will serve duty are the toys.

Old 09-03-2007 | 10:38 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Cool Re: Another one bites the dust. Me

the outside is unique and quite sharp in black... but the interior suffers from some inexpensive plastics.

as for a dd ... and added room, this makes much better sense.

enjoy your new car & please visit the forum regularly...

cheers!

Old 09-03-2007 | 10:43 PM

That's unfortunate - especially since I will be using my Xfire as a DD and now your comment makes me worry it won't work out - but I like the Caliber, it's sharp.

Old 09-03-2007 | 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by AimeeJ
That's unfortunate - especially since I will be using my Xfire as a DD and now your comment makes me worry it won't work out -
I bought mine March of 04' and use it as a daily driver. To work and of course shopping! Wouldn't think of getting another car. Aimee you will love it!

Old 09-04-2007 | 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cruiser
I bought mine March of 04' and use it as a daily driver. To work and of course shopping! Wouldn't think of getting another car. Aimee you will love it!
Oh thank goodness...I am rather ashamed to say I didn't research my car at all before buying it, and that comment concerned me. Good to know it is good for shopping - and yay for the big trunk!

Old 09-04-2007 | 07:01 AM
Forum Regular

Amiee, mine's daily driver too. I've had it a little over two years and it still makes me smile every time I get in. You would be surprised at how much stuff it can hold if you pack it right!

The only real disadvantage is its lousy in the snow. Chances are you have high performance SUMMER tires on your ride, so get a set of all-seasons to keep in the garage or make other plans to get around when the weather gets bad.

Old 09-04-2007 | 10:27 AM

That's unfortunate - especially since I will be using my Xfire as a DD and now your comment makes me worry it won't work out - but I like the Caliber, it's sharp.
Thanks Aimee. One of the biggest complaints i have about my Crossfire as a DD really isn't the Crossfires fault. It's the horrible condition of the roads here in W.PA. The roads here are just in such poor condition that sometimes i would feel "beat up" after driving mine. Frost heaves, potholes, poorly repaired roads with bad drainage, and the high incidence of "Oil and chip" road repair all conspired to rob me of the joy of driving my Crossfire. Also, the hilly terrain plus snow makes winter driving here treacherous. When i found the occasional smooth 2 lane back road, it was sheer joy driving my Crossfire. Also, i found the cargo space in my coupe more than sufficient. It si amazing how many bags of groceries that car can swallow.
I will not bad mouth the Crossfire, because i LOVED mine. I just couldn't stand to drive it 90 miles R/T to work everyday, and i couldn't really afford to let it sit while already having 2 'toys' that sit most of the time.
Perhaps a few years down the road (or if i hit the lottery), i will grab a high miler for a fairly cheap price and make it a sunny day only toy.
Andrew, you are correct about the interior of the Caliber. The cheap looking plastic they use did bother me, but the other positives of the car outweighed it(not the least of which is having my brother work for the dealer and getting the Chrysler employee discount). I was originally going to get a Patriot, but my wife talked me out of it in favor of the Caliber.

Old 09-04-2007 | 10:50 AM

Sorry to see you go and good luck with the new car, but living in the north east i wouldn't have bought a Crossfire for daily driving, i wouldn't want to drive it in the snow.

Old 09-04-2007 | 10:52 AM
Life is random...so am I.

and yay for the big trunk!
Obviously a coupe owner!

Old 09-04-2007 | 11:23 AM

Good luck to you with your new Caliber.

I purchased my XFire in October of last year and use it for a daily driver every day except for snowy or icy days when I drive my 5.9 G. Cherokee.

Last edited by xfire2005; 09-04-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2007 | 05:25 PM
Administrator / Senior Member

Originally Posted by bobs
Amiee, mine's daily driver too. I've had it a little over two years and it still makes me smile every time I get in. You would be surprised at how much stuff it can hold if you pack it right!

The only real disadvantage is its lousy in the snow. Chances are you have high performance SUMMER tires on your ride, so get a set of all-seasons to keep in the garage or make other plans to get around when the weather gets bad.
Aimee,
I don't imagine snow is a frequent thing in New Mexico if ever is it ??
Using your car as a DD will be great. I plan to drive mine as often as possible and I live near the "windy city" Chicago and winters here can be brutal. I do have a 4X4 if we get snow and I will keep my Crossfire in my heated garage.

Old 09-04-2007 | 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Aimee,
I don't imagine snow is a frequent thing in New Mexico if ever is it ??
Using your car as a DD will be great. I plan to drive mine as often as possible and I live near the "windy city" Chicago and winters here can be brutal. I do have a 4X4 if we get snow and I will keep my Crossfire in my heated garage.
I would say NM never gets snow but...the last two years we have had horrendous snow storms. My poor ZX2 had street performance rims and tires...NOT snow ones. It sucked. So here's hoping my Xfire manages, cause I won't afford snow tires for awhile!

Old 09-04-2007 | 11:21 PM

From your signature, it looks like you have plenty of other cars that could pose as daily drivers (2000 Forester, Scion XB, Jeep Grand Cherokee). Why was the Xfire a DD? Confused...

Old 09-05-2007 | 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by cgocifer
From your signature, it looks like you have plenty of other cars that could pose as daily drivers (2000 Forester, Scion XB, Jeep Grand Cherokee). Why was the Xfire a DD? Confused...
I could see where you would wonder that.
The Scion is my wife's DD. She works for a bank and travels all over the district. The Forester is her winter car. The Grand Cherokee is a nice vehicle, but is not fuel efficient enough for my 90 mile a day commute. plus it currently has 116K miles on it. Simple economics was that i could not afford to have a car that cost that much sitting around for most of the time.

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:49 AM

Ah, I see what you mean. My DD is my 2000 F150 with 110,000 miles and also gets terrible gas mileage. I'll keep driving until it dies though. :-) Have you thought about further streamlining by replacing both the Forester and Scion with a vehicle that does the job of both? Maybe an all wheel drive Highlander or a newer Forester?

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust. Me