Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Fuel filter need help!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel filter need help!

Hey all... I have my service B light coming on so next week I am planning on doing some work on my car. This would include oil/oil filter change, air filter change, cabin filter change, topping off fluids... so on. My tires are new so I won't be rotating.

I am at 50,000 miles and I am thinking about changing out my fuel filter... first, where is it!? I covered the entire owner's manual last night but to no avail... it only shows where fluid tanks are. I also covered the forum searching and searching but couldn't find much relevant info. besides upgrades and mods.

Secondly... do you think this is a good time to change it? I figured it probably still has the factory part in there! But after looking under the hood for 30 minutes I ended up clueless. In advance, is the fuel filter in the rear of the car near the gas tank?

Is there anything else I should be doing with all these other maintenance items? Thanks!

Old 06-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel filter need help!

Hope this helps.

Description and Operation

The combination Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator (4) consists of a housing with an integrated filter element. The fuel flows through the filter from the outside to the inside. As a result, any impurities are trapped inside the filter.

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

The combination Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator (2) is located along side of the fuel pump as part of the fuel filter assembly. It is transversely mounted to a chassis crossmember (left-to-right).

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

Fuel Pressure Regulator
The Fuel Pressure Regulator is a mechanical device that is calibrated to maintain fuel system operating pressure of between 3.7 - 4.1 bar (54 - 60 psi ) at the fuel injectors.

Fuel is supplied to the Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator by the Electric Fuel Pump directly.

The fuel pump assembly contains a check valve to maintain some fuel pressure in the system when the engine is not operating.

If fuel pressure at the pressure regulator exceeds a set amount, an internal diaphragm closes and excess fuel pressure is routed back into the tank through the pressure regulator.

The Diaphragm Pressure Regulator (2) regulates the fuel pressure by means of the return flow (10) quantity to the fuel tank.

If the pressure rises above the set pressure, the diaphragm (6) is pressed further against the compression spring (4).

The valve (7) attached to the diaphragm opens the passage for the return flow further. If the pressure drops below the set pressure, the valve is closed again by the compression spring (4).

FUEL FILTER
The fuel flows through the Fuel Filter (1) trapping any fuel impurities that may lie in the bottom of the tank. The Fuel Filter can not be serviced separately from the pressure regulator, the entire Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator must be replaced as an assembly. For complete Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator removal procedures.
Service and Repair
  1. Remove the fuel filler cap from the fuel filler neck.
  2. Remove the fuel pump fuse from the relay control module (3) located next to the PCM.
  3. Start and run engine until it stalls.
  4. Attempt restarting engine until it will no longer run.
  5. Turn ignition key to OFF position.
  6. Return the fuel pump fuse to the relay control module.
  7. One or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes may have been stored in PCM memory due to fuel pump fuse removal. The DRB III(R) scan tool must be used to erase any DTCs.
Service and Repair
REMOVAL

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the fuel pump splash shield. WARNING: THE FUEL SYSTEM IS UNDER CONSTANT FUEL PRESSURE EVEN WITH THE ENGINE OFF. BEFORE DISCONNECTING ANY FUEL LINES, THIS PRESSURE MUST BE RELEASED.
  3. Release the fuel system pressure. NOTE: Place a shop towel around fuel lines to catch any excess fuel during disassembly.
  4. Remove the fuel filter/pressure regulator fuel line (1).
  5. Remove the fuel rail supply line (3) at the fuel filter/ pressure regulator.
  6. Remove the fuel delivery hose.
  7. Remove the fuel return hose at the fuel filter/pressure regulator.
  8. Remove the clamp retaining screw and remove the fuel filter/pressure regulator.
INSTALLATION

1. Position the fuel filter/pressure regulator into the clamp, install the retaining screw and tighten.
  2. Install the following hoses/lines in order:
  1. The fuel return hose.
  2. The fuel delivery hose.
  3. The fuel rail supply line (3).
  4. The fuel filter/pressure regulator fuel line (1).
  1. Tighten the hoses/lines to the fuel filter/pressure regulator.
  2. Install the fuel pump splash shield.
  3. Lower the vehicle.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message Deleted

Last edited by AMGLover; 09-05-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot guys. (Oh and I am also bumping this to the top) That was very helpful... but also very confusing. I am an amateur mechanic I can teach myself some things but that post above on how to replace the fuel filter and the pressure regulator was very ominous looking to me. Would replacing the fuel filter best be a job left up to a professional mechanic? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Forum Regular

Bumping this back to the top...

Has anyone attempted this job? Or had it done at the dealership?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

It was done at the dealership on my SRT about a month ago. It was really very simple to change the filter. I wouldn't want to do it without having the car on jack stands or a rack.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming this is recommended for a trip to the dealer seeing as how you'll need the DRB III(R) scan tool to erase any DTCs.

Or is there a way around using the DRBIII(R)?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:29 PM

the fuel filter is beneath the car, near the right rear wheel. I changed mine at 40K. its put on with some one-way crimps; i used regular hose clamps to replace the crimp-ons.

jack up the car (you can use the differential, just remember your chocks for the front wheels) and remove the right rear wheel. then remove the plastic tray / splash guard that hides the filter. remove and replace. just be ready for some gasoline to drip out when you remove it.

hope this helps more than the electrical diagrams (?) above

Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM

everytime i refresh this thread i get new pics in xfire2005's post... anyone else?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mrobinso
[Is there anything else I should be doing with all these other maintenance items?
how about changing your brake fluid and antifreeze?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lmao the pics do keep on changing and i dont even think they are for the fuel system rofl thats a strange glitch

Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Forum Regular

Yeah I am really glad this thread got booted back up to the top, I think I wrote this in august or july. That diagram was pretty much useless to me... so is it a relatively install/removal? How does it rate compared to a regular oil change? Tools needed and such? This would be awesome if I could learn to do it myself. I am pretty sure the dealer would charge an arm and a leg. Changing brake fluid... whats the best way to drain?

Old 10-31-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
everytime i refresh this thread i get new pics in xfire2005's post... anyone else?
I have seen that happen before No clue why and very frustrating.

Today when I first looked at it, the correct fuel system diagram came up and then when I back paged a diagram of the starting system came up which I had just looked at on AllData. What the H*ll is going on?????????

Last edited by xfire2005; 10-31-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Forum Regular

One more question... my autoparts store sells two filters. A WIX and purolator fuel filter. Which one do you guys think will be the better choice? I am not mentioning the difference in price because I know people will automatically give me the... price shouldn't be an object with these cars routine. Let me know which one you think is better? Any experience?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Purolator is a known good brand that has been around for years...

I would go with that most likely as I'm not one to skimp on price when I know the product manufacturer has a solid reputation.

Cheers!

P.S. - I would do a search on the "Documentation" (It's a sticky thread) and you can download the factory SRT6 service manual which has correct diagrams and procedures in it. Posting something from AllData is probably some kind of copyright violation.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 PM

i went with the OE fuel filter, FWIW...

Old 10-31-2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mrobinso
Changing brake fluid... whats the best way to drain?
http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.j...xt=brake+fluid

Old 04-23-2010, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by xfire2005
Hope this helps.

Description and Operation

The combination Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator (4) consists of a housing with an integrated filter element. The fuel flows through the filter from the outside to the inside. As a result, any impurities are trapped inside the filter.

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

The combination Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator (2) is located along side of the fuel pump as part of the fuel filter assembly. It is transversely mounted to a chassis crossmember (left-to-right).

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

Fuel Pressure Regulator
The Fuel Pressure Regulator is a mechanical device that is calibrated to maintain fuel system operating pressure of between 3.7 - 4.1 bar (54 - 60 psi ) at the fuel injectors.

Fuel is supplied to the Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator by the Electric Fuel Pump directly.

The fuel pump assembly contains a check valve to maintain some fuel pressure in the system when the engine is not operating.

If fuel pressure at the pressure regulator exceeds a set amount, an internal diaphragm closes and excess fuel pressure is routed back into the tank through the pressure regulator.

The Diaphragm Pressure Regulator (2) regulates the fuel pressure by means of the return flow (10) quantity to the fuel tank.

If the pressure rises above the set pressure, the diaphragm (6) is pressed further against the compression spring (4).

The valve (7) attached to the diaphragm opens the passage for the return flow further. If the pressure drops below the set pressure, the valve is closed again by the compression spring (4).

FUEL FILTER
The fuel flows through the Fuel Filter (1) trapping any fuel impurities that may lie in the bottom of the tank. The Fuel Filter can not be serviced separately from the pressure regulator, the entire Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator must be replaced as an assembly. For complete Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator removal procedures.
Service and Repair
  1. Remove the fuel filler cap from the fuel filler neck.
  2. Remove the fuel pump fuse from the relay control module (3) located next to the PCM.
  3. Start and run engine until it stalls.
  4. Attempt restarting engine until it will no longer run.
  5. Turn ignition key to OFF position.
  6. Return the fuel pump fuse to the relay control module.
  7. One or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes may have been stored in PCM memory due to fuel pump fuse removal. The DRB III(R) scan tool must be used to erase any DTCs.
Service and Repair
REMOVAL
  1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the fuel pump splash shield. WARNING: THE FUEL SYSTEM IS UNDER CONSTANT FUEL PRESSURE EVEN WITH THE ENGINE OFF. BEFORE DISCONNECTING ANY FUEL LINES, THIS PRESSURE MUST BE RELEASED.
  3. Release the fuel system pressure. NOTE: Place a shop towel around fuel lines to catch any excess fuel during disassembly.
  4. Remove the fuel filter/pressure regulator fuel line (1).
  5. Remove the fuel rail supply line (3) at the fuel filter/ pressure regulator.
  6. Remove the fuel delivery hose.
  7. Remove the fuel return hose at the fuel filter/pressure regulator.
  8. Remove the clamp retaining screw and remove the fuel filter/pressure regulator.
INSTALLATION
  1. Position the fuel filter/pressure regulator into the clamp, install the retaining screw and tighten.
  2. Install the following hoses/lines in order:
  1. The fuel return hose.
  2. The fuel delivery hose.
  3. The fuel rail supply line (3).
  4. The fuel filter/pressure regulator fuel line (1).
  1. Tighten the hoses/lines to the fuel filter/pressure regulator.
  2. Install the fuel pump splash shield.
  3. Lower the vehicle.

You got a nice and descriptive resources! Have you tried it before to your car? I haven't seen it before.

Last edited by firemen; 04-26-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
It was done at the dealership on my SRT about a month ago. It was really very simple to change the filter. I wouldn't want to do it without having the car on jack stands or a rack.

Good luck!
Can you tell me how much the dealer charged you for a fuel filter change? Thanks!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
ME TOO! What the Hell????????

Quick Reply: Fuel filter need help!