Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire Meets Telephone Pole

Old 02-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crossfire Meets Telephone Pole

On the way home from work yesterday my little silver saphire coupe met a telephone pole. I drive a county road home from work, this road has two back to back 90 degree curves in it. I went through the first curve witch was to the right and there is only about 100 feet to the second curve to the left. Just as I was about to start into the second curve, a car was coming in to the other end of the curve left of center, (i don't even think they seen me). Anyway it forced me to hang to the out side of the curve, I wasn't going slow but I wasn't going extremely fast either. It's been snowing and freezing rain around here for the last month and there was sand and salt from the right edge to about 3 foot toward the center. I hit that sand and it was just like marbles, lost control, hit a big ditch and then a telephone pole head on. I'm hoping it's totaled, so the insurance company can make the last four lease payments. I'm just glad I wasn't driving my SRT6 or I would be mad as hell, the people that forced me into the sand stopped between the curves just long enough for me to get out of the car and they took off. I've almost had a few accidents in this car because I don't think people see me, the car is so small and the silver saphire blends in with the color of the road.

Last edited by Steve Hellums; 03-20-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire Meets Telephone Pole

sorry to hear the news...

but on the positive side... you are ok. this is what really matters.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by andrew
sorry to hear the news...

but on the positive side... you are ok. this is what really matters.
I'm glad the drivers side air bag didn't come out, the passengers side did and the piece of the dash that it was behind hit the windshield and shattered it. I am a little sore all over, but my right arm and hand came off the steering wheel and into the dash. The backs of my knuckles got skinned up and I have a big knot an my arm where it hit the steering wheel, but it could have been a lot worse.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I'm glad the drivers side air bag didn't come out, the passengers side did and the piece of the dash that it was behind hit the windshield and shattered it.
the driver side air bag never seems to deploy with these cars. only the passenger side seems to deploy with nearly every head on accident i have seen pictures of... this is kinda scary to me.

if and when you are up tp it... please post some pics of the car.

once again... i'm glad to hear you walked away from this accident... get some rest & add some neosporin to that hand.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the driver side air bag never seems to deploy with these cars. only the passenger side seems to deploy with nearly every head on accident i have seen pictures of... this is kinda scary to me.
I have seen a few pics of accidents, you're right Andrew it seems that the drivers side air bag never deploys.
I wonder if Chrysler is aware of this.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I'm glad the drivers side air bag didn't come out, the passengers side did and the piece of the dash that it was behind hit the windshield and shattered it. I am a little sore all over, but my right arm and hand came off the steering wheel and into the dash. The backs of my knuckles got skinned up and I have a big knot an my arm where it hit the steering wheel, but it could have been a lot worse.
Do you think your injuries would have been greater if the air bag did deploy?

Old 02-24-2007, 09:47 AM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Diamond
it seems like the driver's side bag not deploying is a common theme.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve, that's terrible news. I'm very glad to hear that you came thru it with only some bumps and bruises. Cars are expendable, people aren't.
There does seem to be a pattern with our cars, front end collisions, and only the passenger side air bag deploying. I wonder if the same pattern has been established over on the SLK website (since those cars have been around longer). If so, it may just warrant an investigation (and possible recall) before some "drivers" get seriously injured. (If there hasn't been any already).
To add insult to injury, You didn't happen to get "cited" for failure to control, did you?
It might not be a bad idea to go to your family Doctor for a check up. If for no other reason than insurance purposes. Just in case some "medical" problems pops up in the future, related to your injuries.
Good Luck.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:47 AM
xfire embrace

Steve Hellums, I read the story and felt for you. For the same concern reason as others, take care.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Forum Regular

I am sorry to hear of your loss of a crossfire, but am very happy that you will be fine after a little bit of rest and painkillers.

Not to sound like a vulture, but if your car is totaled, would you consider selling off any salvageable parts?

Old 02-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Crossfire Meets Telephone Pole

Steve...glad that you are ok, the car can be replaced. If we remember back I believe that Aschrager had an accident and the drivers side air bag did deploy and really creamed him.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:45 PM

Very glad to hear that you came out walking, but was angry to hear the other car left you. Were they minors? Please keep us posted of your developments. Again, glad you are OK.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:36 PM

mine came out just fine, smacked me in the face good and hard.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:13 PM

I'm familiar with the 'color of pavement' shades - My R-1 is black/silver, and I have watched people look right through me, causing me to do evasive maneuvers! Glad you are OK - I hope the aftermath goes the way you hope, with the insurance and all...

Old 02-24-2007, 08:17 PM
RPM

You know, speaking of silver cars, it made me think of some things.

When I was in high school and before I had a car - I rode with a friend who had a silver Nissan 240. One day we got t-boned by a lady in an Aerostar leaving a stop sign. She said she didn't see us at all.

My '97 Prelude was a light silver/blue color (similar to the sapphire silver blue). We got run off the road all of the time in that car from people not seeing us.

Hmmm.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Forum Regular

That's a BAD day, Glad your ok. Hope it all works out well with your insurance company. It must take a really hard hit to deploy the drivers side bag. That or some kind of defect where on most crossfires the drivers side will not deploy at all. I'm really starting to wonder about this. If you can please post some photos. Take care.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwetoe
Not to sound like a vulture, but if your car is totaled, would you consider selling off any salvageable parts?
To all the "Vultures" out there, Steve said it's a lease car, so I don't think he'll have any "salvageable" parts of his own to sell. (Unless of course he has "organ donor" on his drivers license).

Old 02-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Forum Regular

mmm this is definitely one of the reasons i have HID systems on all my cars and run them at all times ... gives the sense of motion ... i know what you mean with people not seeing the car, its not so much the size i think, more likely the sleepy or distracted driver combined with the easy to blend color.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Black Diamond
Yeah, I think the air bag wood possibly broke my nose or put some burns or marks on my face. So I'm glad it did not deploy, the seatbelt held me in place pretty good, but I think the seatbelt retractor broke because I had to push it back into the slot that it comes out of.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 AM

if and when you are up tp it... please post some pics of the car.
I'm not real good with computers, I've been trying to get my wife to help me get a gallery started, but we never seem to get the time together at home to do it. I usually hit the boards while I'm at work, I live in the boonies and our computer lines are slow. Sometimes I can't even post from home, they are that slow, but I'll see if i can get her to give me a hand today if she gets time and post a pic or two. Part of the problem of getting her to help me is she just don't get the whole Crossfire thing, I think she looks at my SRT6 as the other woman.

Quick Reply: Crossfire Meets Telephone Pole