Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Automatic or Manual?

Old 01-11-2007 | 02:33 PM
Default Automatic or Manual?

Hi guys, have just got rid of my TT roadster and will hopefully be a XFire coupe newbie come a few weeks time but just deciding whether to go for manual or automatic - have test driven an automatic and it was damm fast! Having a go with a manual on Saturday - any advice as to which is quicker/a better drive - like the tiptronic option but worried I will get bored in the long run with an auto........

Old 01-11-2007 | 03:40 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Automatic or Manual?

Manual.
It's the only way to go.

Old 01-11-2007 | 03:52 PM

Automatic
Best of both worlds.

Serriously you have to evaluate how and where you want to drive your car. I personaly have to deal with lots of traffic and hills so did not want to be tied to the clutch and shifter.

Old 01-11-2007 | 04:26 PM

I'm also shopping and trying to decide. Drove sticks for 25 years, then my last car was an auto (Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible). I spent 5 years explaining why I finally got my red sportscar convertible - and had an auto in it.

About a week ago, I found a dealership with multiple crossfires on the lot - and was able to drive auto and stick back-to-back. Auto really takes off - it certainly doesn't make the car any less responsive. But having the stick feels more like I'm driving that fine machine, rather than going out for a ride - however exhilarating that ride may be.

I'm in Central Illinois, so I won't be driving anything like Chicago rush-hour traffic very often. Doing that on any kind of regular basis with a stick would take all the fun out of it.

I also tinkered with the auto-stick feature, to see whether being able to select my own up and downshifts on the auto made up for lack of a stick. Didn't do a thing for me.

So, it still comes down to the kind of driving you'll do. I'd have to agree with RowdyRoadster: if you've got lots of traffic and hills, the auto may make the difference between enjoying the drive, and working too hard.

But for me, its gonna be a stick this time.

Old 01-11-2007 | 04:45 PM

Buy the SRT it is only a tad more expensive and the performance difference is HUGE... it only comes in autostick so that is the way to go

as someone already mentioned its the best of both worlds and the crossfire was never ment to be a "sports car" it is more of a touring car.. and the auto is perfect for that reason, but as you mentioned if you find that auto is boring or that you already have another car with auto then by all means get the standard with manual

my 2 cents
-Sidez

Old 01-11-2007 | 08:12 PM
Forum Regular

Manual. Your left foot will get bored if you get an auto. Plus, who wants a computer deciding which gear is best for you?

Old 01-11-2007 | 08:26 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brhertel
Manual. Your left foot will get bored if you get an auto. Plus, who wants a computer deciding which gear is best for you?
Mi left foot never gets bored,mon I just wiggle my toe to the music. speaking o,f cant wait to hear your speakers, I have the perfect CD. WELCOME TO JAMROCK

Old 01-11-2007 | 08:50 PM

I would have to go with the SRT6 if I had to get an Auto, otherwise it's all about the 6 speed manual baby!

Old 01-11-2007 | 10:08 PM

Roadrunner6656, You've been given some excellent advice, and of course, alot of conflicting opinions. In the end, you're the one who's going to have to sort it all out, and decide just exactly what type of driving you "mostly" do, and just what it is you're looking for, and expect to get out of, the Crossfire.
Everybody has their own idea of what contitutes a true sports car, and what it takes to be called a "GT". Quite often the lines get crossed, and the real diffinition gets blurred. But the way I see it, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, well........you get my point.
The automotive magazines have reported 1/4 mile times of nearly a 1/2 a second faster for a Limited with a 6spd. vs an automatic. My own personal "seat of the pants" opinion? The manual tranny just makes the car "feel" more responsive.
The Limited goes thru the slalom as fast or faster that alot of "true" sports cars costing 1000's more.
The Crossfire can cover vast distances at a very high rate of speed over a multitude of road conditions while its passengers stay comfortable, just like any good "GT" should do.
And the SRT-6 accomplishes all of the above, with an automatic trans, and true "muscle car" performance for those in need of an even greater adrenalin "rush".
I think I have a pretty good idea what a "sports car" is, and I think a Limited with a 6spd. covers all the neccessary bases to be called a sports car.
But with an automatic, I would consider it more of a GT.
An SRT? I would have to say is more of a sports/musclecar/GT, and probably the only way I would ever be truly satisfied with the Crossfire with an auto shifter.
Good Luck with what ever choice you make. All things considered, it's a Win,Win,Win, situation.

Old 01-11-2007 | 11:52 PM

I just got rid of an Automatic car due to the tranny breaking. I try to stay away from Autos because of the maintenance factor involved if you really want it to last, no matter what your driving style.

If something breaks after the 7/70,000, the manual will be easier to fix than the auto. I plan on keeping this car for a while and know I'll be breaking the 70,000 mark sometime so getting a manual was an easy choice for me.

Old 01-12-2007 | 05:41 AM

Cheers guys for all your comments - very helpful stuff - I've actually only got 15K to spend on a used model so the SRT-6 is definitely out! I'm from London in the UK so hills aren't much of a problem and my folks live in the country with windy roads, which I guess leads me down the road of a manual - I shall let you all know what I decide!!

Thanks again!

Old 01-12-2007 | 07:36 AM

Hi Road runner I'm UK based too, we have a manual Roadster and to be honest the engine probably lends itself better to the auto, in hindsight I think that's what I would have done, but obviously you will get a little less mpg from the auto.

Hope you enjoy your new car, not a lot about here in the UK, especially the roadster.