Canada Serving Canada.

Need : Canadian version Headlight switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010 | 02:02 PM
|
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Default Need : Canadian version Headlight switch

Looking for a headlight switch from a Canadian Crossfire.
ASAP---- Please PM me.

NOTE - I will buy or trade with any Ontarians with Daytime running lights looking for non DRL module.

Thanks.

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 03-07-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2010 | 10:46 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Need : Canadian version Headlight switch

Canadian Tire 30 buck

Old 03-09-2010 | 05:35 AM
Banned

Canadian Tire 30 buck
I'm curious...what does $30 get you?

Old 03-09-2010 | 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by tonygg
I'm curious...what does $30 get you?
It gets you a hammer. Makes removing the old switch fast!

Old 03-09-2010 | 07:57 AM
|
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by Sandgrounder
Canadian Tire 30 buck
Please share your expertise on this?

Old 03-09-2010 | 09:34 PM
Forum Regular

Is this the relay to give you the Day Running light, or the main switch for all your lights?
Relay is 30 buck and well documented with the search engine

Old 03-09-2010 | 09:53 PM
|
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by Sandgrounder
Is this the relay to give you the Day Running light, or the main switch for all your lights?
Relay is 30 buck and well documented with the search engine
Actually I have searched and it is not well documented at all. There is alot written about DRL relays being installed but no documentation, wiring diagrams or explanation of which circuits they were connected to. Also, some people who have added universal DRL relays are living with "Bulb out" lights on their dash. The complexity of wiring a universal DRL relay into a lighting system that has individual fuses for each light is further complicated because the lights are also controlled through the Body Control Module and the Security System module.
This is why I am looking for a OEM Canadian version headlight switch and not a universal relay.

Old 03-10-2010 | 08:28 AM
Banned

This is why I am looking for a OEM Canadian version headlight switch and not a universal relay.
Installing a Canadian switch will also give you headlights off when the parking brake is engaged and will also ensure your fog/marker lamps light up (courtesy lamps) after turning off your engine at night. In other words, it's the "proper" way to install DRL's IMO. OEM all the way....

Old 03-10-2010 | 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Actually I have searched and it is not well documented at all. There is alot written about DRL relays being installed but no documentation, wiring diagrams or explanation of which circuits they were connected to. Also, some people who have added universal DRL relays are living with "Bulb out" lights on their dash. The complexity of wiring a universal DRL relay into a lighting system that has individual fuses for each light is further complicated because the lights are also controlled through the Body Control Module and the Security System module.
Have you tried your local scrap yard? these guys do not operate the way they did in the old days, they have networks and a search can be done across the land.
Knowing the MB number would help as I am sure that the switch is used on some of them as well as the Xfire.

Old 03-10-2010 | 03:47 PM
|
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by tonygg
Installing a Canadian switch will also give you headlights off when the parking brake is engaged and will also ensure your fog/marker lamps light up (courtesy lamps) after turning off your engine at night. In other words, it's the "proper" way to install DRL's IMO. OEM all the way....
Tony,
I agree completely......OEM.

Old 03-10-2010 | 03:55 PM
|
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Have you tried your local scrap yard? these guys do not operate the way they did in the old days, they have networks and a search can be done across the land.
Knowing the MB number would help as I am sure that the switch is used on some of them as well as the Xfire.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did check with local wreckers who are network linked across Canada and US. Unfortunately the only one they found in Canada...they want $325 plus shipping from Alberta. I told them not to check US obviously. I ordered a new one from my local dealer for $426 and it will be here tomorrow. Thanks though.

Old 03-11-2010 | 12:10 AM
Cool Re: Need : Canadian version Headlight switch

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check with local wreckers who are network linked across Canada and US. Unfortunately the only one they found in Canada...they want $325 plus shipping from Alberta. I told them not to check US obviously. I ordered a new one from my local dealer for $426 and it will be here tomorrow. Thanks though.

This is probably not the time to tell you this but I communicated with a fellow out west that brought a US Xfire into Canada and went to Crappy Tire for the inspection. He had the dealer do the bumper change (that was required at that time a couple of years ago) and when Crappy Tire checked the car, they never really looked to see if the bumpers had been modified; then when they went to do the headlight inspection, he turned on the car and at the same time flipped on the headlight switch and they said OK. That was that.

Now not all Crappy Tires are going to be that good but I'm not sure why you are bothering to spend $425. for something that probably won't even be needed.

That is my opinion.

Old 03-11-2010 | 08:55 AM
|
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

They were very thorough and would not let it go through. Installing a universal relay was only going to be a compromise just until I could locate a used OEM switch. This car is in PERFECT condition, inside and out and was meticulously maintained by the previous owner and although I don't plan on ever selling the car.....you never know......so I may as well spend the money I had budgeted to wiring a relay, toward a new switch now and be fully compliant and less hassle in the future.

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 03-11-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2010 | 02:54 PM
Forum Regular

My dealership is having a problem getting a newly installed switch to function. I would be interested in knowing if your dealership has any expertise in this repair and could offer some insight.

Our problem started with the foglights and side market lights staying on no matter what position the headlight switch and the ignition switch was set to. They determined the switch was faulty, but I wonder (expert that I am) if it is software related.

I wonder if the new switch has to be formatted or something.

If would be glad to call your dealership and find out more if you think they can add anything to our search for the solution.

Okay, I'm done hijacking this thread.

Old 03-11-2010 | 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by fastfunfor2
My dealership is having a problem getting a newly installed switch to function. I would be interested in knowing if your dealership has any expertise in this repair and could offer some insight.

Our problem started with the foglights and side market lights staying on no matter what position the headlight switch and the ignition switch was set to. They determined the switch was faulty, but I wonder (expert that I am) if it is software related.

If would be glad to call your dealership and find out more if you think they can add anything to our search for the solution.

Okay, I'm done hijacking this thread.
Try asking Beaner and bluecoupe, they did the swap in bluecoupe's car and it was over and done in no time flat.
Just a simple exchange I thought
Beaners really good at this stuff, he is very very smart, I know because he told me.

Old 03-11-2010 | 03:41 PM
Banned

The headlamp switch is simply plug and play. I have removed my Canadian switch (DRL's) in the past and replaced it with an American version and it was as simple as uplugging the switch module from the wiring harness and plugging in the alternate switch. With DRL's the headlamps do light up along with your markers, regardless of where the switch position is, however your fog lamps should only work if the switch is pulled as per the instructions in your owners manual. Looking at your profile, you are in South Carolina, so I'm going to assume you are working with an American model, if so, what you are describing is indeed a fault, and my guess would start with the switch. There is no software intervention that I know of.

Old 03-11-2010 | 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Beaners really good at this stuff, he is very very smart, I know because he told me.
Easy there Dave! I think your Alzheimer's is kicking in

Old 03-11-2010 | 07:57 PM
|
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by Beaner
Easy there Dave! I think your Alzheimer's is kicking in
Beaner,
I need to tap that brain. Need help with removing lower dash panel.
Sent you a PM.

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:10 PM
|
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Beaner,
I need to tap that brain. Need help with removing lower dash panel.
Sent you a PM.
Beaner,
Thanks for the guidance. Got it all "switched" over.

Hey, I need to mitigate my losses.......does anyone want to buy a US version headlight switch??