Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Key won't work

Old 10-10-2024 | 11:23 AM
Default Key won't work

Hi!

Writing on behalf of my father and his car. A while ago he had the car at the mechanics and they replaced the car battery. After that the key won't unlock the car, nor the boot of the car, and the the roof won't come down.
We have tried two different ways of synchronizing the key to the car, one where you press down unlock and lock, then double click unlock, and then turn the key in the ignition while pressing unlock.
The other way was starting the car, turning it off, pressing five times on unlock, turning the key and pressing five times again. Both ways have been unsuccessful.
Any ideas?

Michael

Old 10-10-2024 | 11:41 AM
Default Re: Key won't work

Originally Posted by Michael Crossfire
Hi!

Writing on behalf of my father and his car. A while ago he had the car at the mechanics and they replaced the car battery. After that the key won't unlock the car, nor the boot of the car, and the the roof won't come down.
We have tried two different ways of synchronizing the key to the car, one where you press down unlock and lock, then double click unlock, and then turn the key in the ignition while pressing unlock.
The other way was starting the car, turning it off, pressing five times on unlock, turning the key and pressing five times again. Both ways have been unsuccessful.
Any ideas?

Michael
I'm guessing the mechanic might have connected the negative cable first, then the positive cable. This may have messed up the electronics.
When removing a battery or working on the car, always disconnect the negative cable first.
When installing a new battery, always connect the positive first and the negative second.

I don't know if this will work, but you can try these:
Disconnect the negative cable and let the car sit for 30 minutes. This should drain the systems and make the electronics go to sleep. Then reconnect the battery, wait a few minutes, then try to start the car and test the functions.
If that doesn't work, disconnect the negative cable first, then the positive cable. Wait 5 minutes then touch the positive and negative cable together. Don't let them touch the battery. This will reset everything in the car and you might have to do some driving to get the car to re-learn itself. You might also have to do easy procedures like the throttle reset, reset the clock, do the steering reset, etc... or it might just work fine.
These are just suggestions. If you use the search, you might find other solutions. Good luck!

Old 10-10-2024 | 01:01 PM

Where did you get those procedures for programming a Chrysler Crossfire key?

For everyone's convenience, here are the procedures from the Service Manual. I just got my second key and it worked perfectly after I did the following:

Keyless Entry Transmitter - Standard Procedure - Transmitter Programming.

The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Transmitter(s) can be programmed by the customer without special tools. Transmitter programming by the customer is done by performing the following steps:

1. Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.

2. Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.

Last edited by ZERACER; 10-10-2024 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zip439 (10-10-2024)
Old 10-10-2024 | 01:30 PM

In the under hood fuse box, drivers side, check fuse number 9. If that fuse went bad because of battery swap your key FOB buttons won't lock/unlock the car.