Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

program

Old 07-08-2019, 05:07 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default program

I wonder how difficult it would be to have these programmed to match a vehicle?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mop...A/223576786595

Old 07-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: program

To do it requires the Chrysler DRBIII or Starscan scanner, depending on what year car you have, to copy the secret "handshake' code from the PCM and write it into the new blank SKREEM.

Here is a relevant related thread: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-module-2.html

cojoman had significant problems with a Chrysler dealer not being able to do this. I don't think he was ever able to get his car running.

Last edited by Toolman; 07-09-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:32 PM

Genuine Mopar OEM NEW Ignition Lock Set Assembly 2004-2008 Crossfire 5101014AA

New OEM Factory Part

Condition:

New

Compatibility:

Quantity:

Price:

US $464.06

Old 07-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

I contacted them about programming (SKREEM and FOB are VIN Specific) and was advised that programming is be conducted by the local dealer.

I think most of us know that local dealers can’t do anything remotely close to programming. Or service or whatever on our cars.

Caution in on buying this item. If you cannot have it programmed to your VIN it will be a nice door stopper.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER

Genuine Mopar OEM NEW Ignition Lock Set Assembly 2004-2008 Crossfire 5101014AA

New OEM Factory Part

Condition:

New

Compatibility:

Quantity:

Price:

US $464.06
That looks like a steal at that price...

Old 07-11-2019, 09:11 PM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

A great deal if you can get it programmed to your car

looking forward to someone other than me jumping into the pool first

Old 07-12-2019, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Oh, so they say "just get the dealer to program it............."

Oh, BOY is that another "Dr. Phil" moment!

Old 07-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Forgive me for asking BUT, I thought these came as a MATCH for a car. That all you needed to do was install it. Believed that was why you bought all the parts as shown.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Administrator

THey do, GG, no dealer can program the SKREEM to your VIN.

Scam or misunderstanding on part of the seller.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:33 PM

"The SKREEM retains in memory the ID numbers of any ignition key transponder that is programmed into it. For added system security each SKREEM is programmed with a unique secret key code. This code is stored in memory, sent over the CAN data bus to the PCM, and is encoded to the transponder of every ignition key that is programmed into the SKREEM. In the event that a SKREEM replacement is required, the secret key code can be transferred to the new SKREEM from the PCM using the DRB III scan tool and the ignition key system replacement programming procedure. Proper completion of the ignition key system initialization will allow the existing ignition keys to be programmed into the new SKREEM so that new keys will not be required. In the event that the original secret key code cannot be recovered, SKREEM replacement will also require new ignition keys. The DRB III scan tool will alert the technician during the key reprogramming procedure if new ignition keys are required."

Last edited by Toolman; 07-13-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parts guy at Bob Williams Dodge Chrysler says they can program them. They did sell and service Crossfires.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:32 AM

I purchased one but still have to check on the programming. It's too bad none of the Crossfire Technicians, that understand and do this process, are not on this forum to share their knowledge. This should be old technology by now. I would honestly like to wait for programming until I need it and save it in case I acquire another Crossfire with issues. I would also like to be able to have one of the keys programmed now for a backup?

Old 07-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I purchased a couple sets, hopefully to keep my Crossfires running when SKREEMS become no longer available. Or get another one running if both keys went missing. Maybe they will just turn out to be expensive door stops...at this point IDK...but I would think there was an avenue open to make these sets work in any car (with programming) which is why they were packaged by Mopar with two keys and a door lock, ign lock, and glove box lock, and SKREEM. ???

ZERACER if you find out anything about this, I'm all ears!

Old 07-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Toolman
"The SKREEM retains in memory the ID numbers of any ignition key transponder that is programmed into it. For added system security each SKREEM is programmed with a unique secret key code. This code is stored in memory, sent over the CAN data bus to the PCM, and is encoded to the transponder of every ignition key that is programmed into the SKREEM. In the event that a SKREEM replacement is required, the secret key code can be transferred to the new SKREEM from the PCM using the DRB III scan tool and the ignition key system replacement programming procedure. Proper completion of the ignition key system initialization will allow the existing ignition keys to be programmed into the new SKREEM so that new keys will not be required. In the event that the original secret key code cannot be recovered, SKREEM replacement will also require new ignition keys. The DRB III scan tool will alert the technician during the key reprogramming procedure if new ignition keys are required."
I quoted that some some ago and was told it was not accurate.

And it IS suspicious:, " In the event that the original secret key code cannot be recovered, SKREEM replacement will also require new ignition keys. "

We know that is wrong, when you order a SKREEM, the manufacturer programs it with the code associated with the VIN from the manufacturing records.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:52 PM

Why would they manufacture these kits if they could not be programmed and are worthless? It just doesn't make sense.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:35 PM

Why, year after year, did they put the "new" SKREEM and KEY programming instructions in their service manuals?

Having the option to get a SKREEM already programmed to match a car, for a plug and play installation, does not preclude the option to get a blank SKREEM and program it using the factory supplied tool.

Last edited by Toolman; 07-19-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Why, year after year, did they put the "new" SKREEM and KEY programming instructions in their service manuals?

Having the option to get a SKREEM already programmed to match a car, for a plug and play installation, does not preclude the option to get a blank SKREEM and program it using the factory supplied tool.
Look, if you want to, order one and see what happens. I'm just reporting what I've gathered from others.
Just be careful - if you order a SKREEM from Rob at Needswings, it will work and be right. THAT much I know.

Go ahead, SHOW me someone who has made a SKREEM work OTHER than one from a dealer or Rob.

I'm not saying I WANT it to be this way, I'm saying that it IS this way, as far as I know. I'd love it if the "SKREEM" issue could be fixed easier, hell, I may have a dead SKREEM some day myself.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott M
I purchased a couple sets, hopefully to keep my Crossfires running when SKREEMS become no longer available. Or get another one running if both keys went missing. Maybe they will just turn out to be expensive door stops...at this point IDK...but I would think there was an avenue open to make these sets work in any car (with programming) which is why they were packaged by Mopar with two keys and a door lock, ign lock, and glove box lock, and SKREEM. ???

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Look, if you want to, order one and see what happens. I'm just reporting what I've gathered from others.
Just be careful - if you order a SKREEM from Rob at Needswings, it will work and be right. THAT much I know.

Go ahead, SHOW me someone who has made a SKREEM work OTHER than one from a dealer or Rob.

I'm not saying I WANT it to be this way, I'm saying that it IS this way, as far as I know. I'd love it if the "SKREEM" issue could be fixed easier, hell, I may have a dead SKREEM some day myself.
Josh can clone a working SKREEM by all accounts here for $300.
Surely a nation that can go from putting a man on the moon to electing The Donald can do anything one would think.
I have The Technicians for the DRB III Crossfire Diagnostics. Maybe I should read it.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Scott M

I also purchased two of these sets/kits. I own both factory scan tools for these cars the Starscan and DRBIII. Both have SKREEM module replacement as a menu option.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:59 PM
Administrator

I also purchased two of these sets/kits. I own both factory scan tools for these cars the Starscan and DRBIII. Both have SKREEM module replacement as a menu option.
That's fine. Now once you use a kit and restore a car to running condition, get back to us!

(That won't be easy, if the car is 1200 miles from you - so I know that we may end up waiting a long time...............)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-19-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: program