Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Hidden radar detector?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden radar detector?

So when I first test drove my 04 NA, the car was making these really annoying beeps and other electronic chirpy sounds. The dealer had no idea what it was, or how to shut it off.
I knew nothing about Crossfires then and didn't know if it was normal or not, and frankly, didn't care.
Not long after owning it, I had the bottom of the dash apart for the seat relay replace. On the bottom panel under the steering wheel, I found a dial control, and a speaker the size of a dime, well mounted, and secreted.
Near my headlight switch there are three white plastic dots that appear stock, and they turn green, red, and yellow, and usually to the chirpy sounds I mentioned earlier.
This evening I set out to find the head unit to this radar detector, I'm guessing, and found a small pointy thing sticking out one of the diamond shaped holes in the lower, driver side grill. It looks like a golf tee, upside down, painted to perfectly match the grill.
I'm convinced that it must be the "eye" for the radar detector.
I hunted hard, inside and under the hood and I cannot find any wiring that looks out of place, or anything even resembling a radar detector, anywhere on the car.
The volume control **** I mentioned earlier works perfect, and the chirps definitely coincide with those construction zone radar speed reminders on the highway.
I'm convinced that there's a hot wired, and extremely well hidden radar detector in the car, but I CANNOT find it. .....
Any ideas? ?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Hidden radar detector? ?

Originally Posted by caseydeankopp
So when I first test drove my 04 NA, the car was making these really annoying beeps and other electronic chirpy sounds. The dealer had no idea what it was, or how to shut it off.
I knew nothing about Crossfires then and didn't know if it was normal or not, and frankly, didn't care.
Not long after owning it, I had the bottom of the dash apart for the seat relay replace. On the bottom panel under the steering wheel, I found a dial control, and a speaker the size of a dime, well mounted, and secreted.
Near my headlight switch there are three white plastic dots that appear stock, and they turn green, red, and yellow, and usually to the chirpy sounds I mentioned earlier.
This evening I set out to find the head unit to this radar detector, I'm guessing, and found a small pointy thing sticking out one of the diamond shaped holes in the lower, driver side grill. It looks like a golf tee, upside down, painted to perfectly match the grill.
I'm convinced that it must be the "eye" for the radar detector.
I hunted hard, inside and under the hood and I cannot find any wiring that looks out of place, or anything even resembling a radar detector, anywhere on the car.
The volume control **** I mentioned earlier works perfect, and the chirps definitely coincide with those construction zone radar speed reminders on the highway.
I'm convinced that there's a hot wired, and extremely well hidden radar detector in the car, but I CANNOT find it. .....
Any ideas? ?
Nope. That's your outside air temp sensor.

Keep lookin'...

Old 10-25-2015, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Nope. That's your outside air temp sensor.

Keep lookin'...
Wow, ok....
I looked at many pics of Crossfire front ends and I couldn't see it on any other one. ....
Thank you very much!

Old 10-25-2015, 09:21 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by caseydeankopp
Wow, ok....
I looked at many pics of Crossfire front ends and I couldn't see it on any other one. ....
Thank you very much!
As said above keep looking, I see you have started two threads and they are in the New Member Introductions, they would be better of in a more suitable forum.
This forum is for the "Hi, I'm Tom from .... " type of posts.

Intriguing problem you have, it is prohibited to have radar detectors up here in Ontario so I have no idea where you might look. Is it possible that the head unit has been taken out, leaving the hard wired items behind? Maybe they are sensitive to some signals still.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
As said above keep looking, I see you have started two threads and they are in the New Member Introductions, they would be better of in a more suitable forum.
This forum is for the "Hi, I'm Tom from .... " type of posts.

Intriguing problem you have, it is prohibited to have radar detectors up here in Ontario so I have no idea where you might look. Is it possible that the head unit has been taken out, leaving the hard wired items behind? Maybe they are sensitive to some signals still.
Ok, I didn't realize that there were different, more specific forums to start related threads. ....
Thanks for that information. ....=)

Old 10-25-2015, 11:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heck, maybe ask the local state police to help. Or trace the wires on the stuff you have found.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep in mind that it most likely doesn't LOOK like a radar detector for the inside of the cabin. Just a black box.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This might give you an idea of what to look for under your hood. They are usually mounted near the center post. VWVortex.com - FS: K40 radar and laser jammer

Old 10-27-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by SRQfun
This might give you an idea of what to look for under your hood. They are usually mounted near the center post. VWVortex.com - FS: K40 radar and laser jammer
Ok, thanks for the pics, that's a big help. ....
I also noticed that the volume control has two functions, the inner **** only turns from 9 to 3, I'm guessing it's the city highway selector, and the smaller outer **** is just volume. ....