Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Need Help Fellas

Old 08-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Need Help Felllas

Let me throw in here.. Using the front channel to drive the tweeters.. since most new HU's have crossover settings.. couldn't you just adjust that to compensate?

And as Pizza stated this should solve your problem.. unless you have done the "Mod" to make the amp input a true "four channel" input..

And if your not confused enough yet.. Just let us know.. LOL...

Last edited by Mrmiata; 08-18-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

I don't see the crossover settings in the manual I downloaded, but that WOULD be a good way to set up the sound.

I've got to go read about that four channel mod... I THINK I see it on page 8A-19 of the service manual. I'd have to play around to see what pin is what, unless it's called out in the pin outs of the plugs in the back of the manual. Somewhere. In the +3000 pages.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I don't see the crossover settings in the manual I downloaded, but that WOULD be a good way to set up the sound.

I've got to go read about that four channel mod... I THINK I see it on page 8A-19 of the service manual. I'd have to play around to see what pin is what, unless it's called out in the pin outs of the plugs in the back of the manual. Somewhere. In the +3000 pages.
There's a "marked up" image of the inputs to the amp.. Basically the two channels from the HU that are used get split into four inputs at the amp. You just cut the "correct" inputs at the amp and run new wires from the HU to the amp inputs. This gives you Front/Rear control with the Right/Left balance control.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Administrator

See page 8W -80-49 DAMMIT, the polarity designations there don't agree with what the manual for the factory head says.

Iv'e got to find that diagram, I don't know which print I'm looking at is right. If someone worked this out already, I will borrow their notes and correct my post to about how to wire it up.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-18-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Here you go.. some light reading for today.. LOL.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-channels.html

Old 08-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here we go. This is how I'd do it, looking at the diagrams, I know the output of the FACTORY head is floating. That is, you cannot connect one side of the speaker output to ground. Fine. But will the AMP object to having one side grounded? If so, then we cannot use the preamp outputs on the right side of the Kenwood (as viewed from behind) because they are phone/rca jacks and are grounded to the chassis. I WISH Boiler or someone else was here to comment on that aspect.

Going on that assumption, I'd try this (and my wire colors in the car are based on the 2005 SRT manual, the only one I have, but I do NOT believe anything changed.)

In the wiring harness coming from the rectangular connector on the Kenwood:
Connect (kenwood) white to left door tweeter + terminal.
Connect (kenwood) white/black to left door tweeter - terminal.
Connect (kenwood) Gray to right door tweeter + terminal.
Connect (kenwood) Gray/Black to right door tweeter - terminal.
(These are the wires you have got to run yourself.)

Now the tweeters are on the front outputs of the Kenwood.

Connect (kenwood) Green to car harness black.
Connect (kenwood) Green/Black to car harness Black/Brown.

This connects the left rear speaker output of the Kenwood to the left speaker behind the seat and the Left Kappa, by way of the amp.

Connect (kenwood) Purple to car harness yellow.
Connect (kenwood) Purple/Black to car harness Yellow Violet.

This connects the right rear speaker output of the Kenwood to the right speaker behind the seat and the right Kappa by way of the amp.

Now, you are powering the every speaker in the car with the amp - except the tweeters, which are being driven by the Kenwood directly. Using your front to back fader in the Kenwood, you can customize how hard you want to drive the tweeters versus how hard you drive the Kappas and woofers behind the seats.

There is little power in the high frequencies in music, so the 20 watts per channel of the Kenwood is fine for driving tweeters. And the amp's 140 watt output is driving the Kappas and Woofers.

I PREFER to use the preamp output to drive the Amp, but, again, I've not tried it and never paid attention to the guys who have done this.

Also, connecting a non-polarized 270uF capacitor in each + line to the tweeters will probably make them sound better. This will block a lot of the bass and low frequencies going to the tweeters (which can't reproduce lows well anyway), and make them sound better. This cap can be added and left accessbile by placing it behind the little pop-out panel at the front of the door (this panel is hidden by the dash when you close the door, nice place to hide the cap and you can easily get to it to change it if you want to, without tearing the door apart). This is part of the "Most bang for your buck" audio mod mentioned elsewhere on this forum.
Wow, now that got real complicated! Makes me think that perhaps I need to take this car to a custom shop!

I am a little confused. Why would I go thru and completly rewire the woofers in the rear. Already they are playing fine with the way I have them hooked up directly to the amp. Then, I am running the Kappas directly to the amp, without using the pre outs. Why couldn't I simply detach the kicker tweeters from the amp and run some wires from the tweeters (kickers) directly to the preout hartness wires in the Kenwood. Wouldn't that take the tweeters out of the amp equation and only have the amp pushing the door woofers and the rear woofers, which is what I was doing before with no problem

I quess what I am missing Pizza is why would it not be possible to run some wires from the Kisker tweeters to the preout harness block of the Kenwood and keep everything else as is

Old 08-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Administrator

And that confirms that my original pin-out I gave the OP was right after all.

Gotta tell ya, I'm considering BOTH a four channel mod AND a new head now.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:07 PM

I am sorry Pizza, the brevity of your last post lost me. I did not understand what you posted. Sorry, I could not make out what you were relaying in your last post

Old 08-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
I am a little confused. Why would I go thru and completly rewire the woofers in the rear. Already they are playing fine with the way I have them hooked up directly to the amp. Then, I am running the Kappas directly to the amp, without using the pre outs. Why couldn't I simply detach the kicker tweeters from the amp and run some wires from the tweeters (kickers) directly to the preout hartness wires in the Kenwood. Wouldn't that take the tweeters out of the amp equation and only have the amp pushing the door woofers and the rear woofers, which is what I was doing before with no problem

I quess what I am missing Pizza is why would it not be possible to run some wires from the Kisker tweeters to the preout harness block of the Kenwood and keep everything else as is
Well, this is what I am saying. I ASSUMED you had everything already running off the amp, all you need to do is run the wires from the tweeeters to the back of the Kenwood and use the front speaker outputs. Then, use the rear speaker outputs to drive the amp which then drives the door speakers and woofers in behind the seats.

Stay away from the preamp outputs. I just did read up on it, and the amp is expecting to be driven by a SPEAKER OUTPUT, not a preamp output. THe preamp outputs on your head are useless in this car. (Which is no big deal.)

Old 08-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Administrator

I am sorry Pizza, the brevity of your last post lost me. I did not understand what you posted. Sorry, I could not make out what you were relaying in your last post
I was talking to MrMiata... the pinouts in the "four channel" thread confirmed that my long post to you was right after all.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:11 PM

It took a little time and head scratching.. but being able to set the front/rear balance has made the stock amp-speaker setup a pretty decent system.

And a note to OP.. the pre amp outputs don't carry a stand alone speaker hookup.. Your system (based on what you've written).. You are using an OEM harness adapter to the OEM wiring. This will only utilize the left/right channels of ONE output.. most likely the front channel from the HU. Your diagram from the HU will confirm this. You should have tapped off a set of speaker leads with this. You can run those leads to your tweeters by pulling new wires to the door. Hope this helped somewhat.. LOL.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Administrator

I am not sure my long post reads right. If you follow it, this is what happens:

The rear left speaker output line of the Kenwood drives the amp which then drives your new speaker in the driver's door and the speaker behind that seat.
The rear right speaker output line of the Kenwood drives the amp which then drives your new speaker in the passenger door and the speaker behind that seat.

The front left speaker output line of the Kenwood drives the driver's tweeter directly.
The front right speaker output line of the Kenwood drives the passenger's tweeter directly.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:16 PM

Stay away from the preamp outputs. I just did read up on it, and the amp is expecting to be driven by a SPEAKER OUTPUT, not a preamp output. THe preamp outputs on your head are useless in this car. (Which is no big deal.)
Have not looked up the HU specs.. but based on this I'm going to wager 2V outputs, Which is why the 4V outputs are basically "mandatory" for using the RCA outs.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:51 PM

I am not sure my long post reads right. If you follow it, this is what happens:

The rear left speaker output line of the Kenwood drives the amp which then drives your new speaker in the driver's door and the speaker behind that seat.
The rear right speaker output line of the Kenwood drives the amp which then drives your new speaker in the passenger door and the speaker behind that seat.

The front left speaker output line of the Kenwood drives the driver's tweeter directly.
The front right speaker output line of the Kenwood drives the passenger's tweeter directly.
Pizza:

I see what you are saying and that is absolutely sound advice. What I am thinking is I need to take the tweeters out of the output side of the amp, causing the amp to overheat and overload. I am going to then run a direct line from the tweeters and hook into the wires coming out of the kenwood harness, while not using the preouts that do not power the speakers. However, the wire leads from the head unit can both power and send a radio signal to the tweeters at 50 watts. This way I will only have the amp powering the door speakers and the rear woofers, which they have been aboe to do with no problem.

So, Pizza, I think I am following your lead, as you correctly laid out in your original post. It i just taking me a while and some education to catch on

Now watch I go and blow the whole system UP!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Administrator

You should be ok. And after all of this, now I'm actually thinking of replaced the head unit in my car!
Reading the manual for that Kenwood head has me wondering if I am not missing out on a lot with the factory head in there.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:00 PM

Pizza:

I see what you are saying and that is absolutely sound advice. What I am thinking is I need to take the tweeters out of the output side of the amp, causing the amp to overheat and overload. I am going to then run a direct line from the tweeters and hook into the wires coming out of the kenwood harness, while not using the preouts that do not power the speakers. However, the wire leads from the head unit can both power and send a radio signal to the tweeters at 50 watts. This way I will only have the amp powering the door speakers and the rear woofers, which they have been aboe to do with no problem.

So, Pizza, I think I am following your lead, as you correctly laid out in your original post. It i just taking me a while and some education to catch on

Now watch I go and blow the whole system UP!!!
Your on the right track here.. I will throw in I would use the "un used" speaker leads whether they are the front channel or rear channel... this will give you control of the tweeter outputs (using HU front-rear balance) and crossover frequency.

If you wired all the HU leads to your harness adapter.. a simple check of "no connectors" on the OEM harness will let you know which ones to use.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:05 PM

You should be ok. And after all of this, now I'm actually thinking of replaced the head unit in my car!
Reading the manual for that Kenwood head has me wondering if I am not missing out on a lot with the factory head in there.
Umm.. yes you are.. LOL. Front - Rear balance.. frequency cut offs.. usb for hours of the music you want.. multi color displays.. blue tooth interface...

But to each their own... I really think the "must have silver" is over rated.. sticker shock at first.. but after a while you don't even think about it.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
It took a little time and head scratching.. but being able to set the front/rear balance has made the stock amp-speaker setup a pretty decent system.

And a note to OP.. the pre amp outputs don't carry a stand alone speaker hookup.. Your system (based on what you've written).. You are using an OEM harness adapter to the OEM wiring. This will only utilize the left/right channels of ONE output.. most likely the front channel from the HU. Your diagram from the HU will confirm this. You should have tapped off a set of speaker leads with this. You can run those leads to your tweeters by pulling new wires to the door. Hope this helped somewhat.. LOL.
Mr M:

You are dead right. Icalled crutchfield customer support and that is exactly the direction they told me to take and they too said that the preouts are basically useless in my setup. then told me to go the route you suggested. I repled to Pizza that way trying to make him think I became educated and came up with that course, when in reality Crutchfield told me to do what you ate now suggesting

Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 PM

Pizza I was stuck on the factory silver look hard. But after putting in the black head unit in my car it made the interior look more eloquent. Also, before buying the unit I purchased the non-polarized 270uF capacitors to install. But the head unit has so many settings and controls you do not need the capacitors. On that note if there is anyone looking for a new, unused set of capacitors I am selling mine for a good price

Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 PM

Cool!

Glad between us all... we confused and educated you.. LOL.

At least now you have a clear plan of action.

Just a thought.. if you haven't unplugged the tweeters.. I would definitely do so to keep from pissing the amp off.. It just might decide it's warned you enough and say adios .. LOL.

Quick Reply: Need Help Fellas