Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

where do you find the time Rudy....HP, this doesn't produce HP....but, now that I got a "touch" for xmas....this may have to happen....lol

Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
where do you find the time Rudy....HP, this doesn't produce HP....but, now that I got a "touch" for xmas....this may have to happen....lol
Sorry Doc, I've been working on getting this done since dirt was new. LOL Hopefully there is enough interest that I can do more of these but it doesn't work to only do a few. Need quantity to justify everything.

Perhaps we start another list of people? They'll be $225+ shipping this time around if I do them.

Take care

Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rudy,
Thanks for packing the control unit in the bubble wrap. It took longer to "POP" all of the bubble wrap than it did to install the control unit. Thanks again for a great job. It works perfect!

GuyWagon

Old 02-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Rudy, great product, great job!!!!
I installed the unit this morning and the installation was pretty easy (even for me). After the installation, I plugged in my new Ipod Touch and heard beautiful music. I was pretty happy. Shortly after coming back into the house, Fed Express delivered the ipod holder I had ordered just 2 days ago. I went back into the garage, installed the holder, plugged in the ipod and once again I heard beautiful music. Now I am very happy...
Thanks for giving this Crossfire owner an opportunity to keep the factory radio look while adding some "modern" functionality. I can't wait for a road trip.
Ray

Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by t_ediz
Great!

Thanks for the update GuyWagon!

Anybody has a picture what this thing looks like out of the box? I want to get one of these but dunno if I want to wait 5 months to get it.

So from your post I am understanding that this device introduces a USB port from the radio to use for whatever you want to use it for.

It's upto you whether you connect a USB thumb drive, an external USB powered hard drive, or an Ipod, IPhone. And controls the Ipod and the flash drive or hard drive for song navigation too from the factory radio.

Is that true? If that is its awesome!

Ediz
I posted some pictures I took during my install. For the life of me I cannot figure out how some get pictures into their postings. Hopefully this link will work ok. Nothing fancy like some postings just pictures to show what is included and what it looks like going in.

Picasa Web Albums - 10264007280132074... - 2010-02-13#

Install took about 30 minutes pulling all the old stuff out and putting my stock head unit back in with the adapater and aux, usb, and Ipod cable fished through the dash beside the glove box. All seems correct with the uninverse now my stock head unit is back in my CrossFire. The adapter works great. I really like using 6th CD position allowing control back to the Ipod to select what I want to play. To me this was well worth the money spent for it.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Forum Regular

No iPhone output, though?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:56 PM

When I installed mine I first just hooked to the back of the radio, put in a USB flash drive and shoved it all into the center console. Then reinstalled the radio and all worked well. Today I thought that I would revise what I did. I realized that the main wire that goes from the control box to the radio is long enough to reach to the rear center console storage bin. (The one between the seats with the flip up lid) I drilled a hole in forward floor of the storage bin and ran the control box wire into the bin. I used a rubber grommet to close up the hole around the wire. I then put the control box in the storage bin and the associated other lead lines on the control box. Presto now all leads 1. IPOD line 2. AUX in 3. USB are all within easy reach for whatever I want to hook up. Thanks Rudy for making the main control box wire long enough to reach. Works Great!!!

GuyWagon

Old 02-14-2010, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by RBlythe332
I installed the unit this morning and the installation was pretty easy (even for me). After the installation, I plugged in my new Ipod Touch and heard beautiful music. I was pretty happy. Shortly after coming back into the house, Fed Express delivered the ipod holder I had ordered just 2 days ago. I went back into the garage, installed the holder, plugged in the ipod and once again I heard beautiful music. Now I am very happy...
Thanks for giving this Crossfire owner an opportunity to keep the factory radio look while adding some "modern" functionality. I can't wait for a road trip.
Ray
Glad you like it and hope the installation went alright.

Originally Posted by dkerns
I posted some pictures I took during my install. For the life of me I cannot figure out how some get pictures into their postings. Hopefully this link will work ok. Nothing fancy like some postings just pictures to show what is included and what it looks like going in.

Picasa Web Albums - 10264007280132074... - 2010-02-13#

Install took about 30 minutes pulling all the old stuff out and putting my stock head unit back in with the adapater and aux, usb, and Ipod cable fished through the dash beside the glove box. All seems correct with the uninverse now my stock head unit is back in my CrossFire. The adapter works great. I really like using 6th CD position allowing control back to the Ipod to select what I want to play. To me this was well worth the money spent for it.
Thanks for posting pictures. Mind me asking what radio you had in there previously? I saw the EuroDIN to Motorola antenna adapter in one of the pictures.

Originally Posted by GuyWagon
When I installed mine I first just hooked to the back of the radio, put in a USB flash drive and shoved it all into the center console. Then reinstalled the radio and all worked well. Today I thought that I would revise what I did. I realized that the main wire that goes from the control box to the radio is long enough to reach to the rear center console storage bin. (The one between the seats with the flip up lid) I drilled a hole in forward floor of the storage bin and ran the control box wire into the bin. I used a rubber grommet to close up the hole around the wire. I then put the control box in the storage bin and the associated other lead lines on the control box. Presto now all leads 1. IPOD line 2. AUX in 3. USB are all within easy reach for whatever I want to hook up. Thanks Rudy for making the main control box wire long enough to reach. Works Great!!!

GuyWagon
Glad you're happy with everything. Looking forward to some install pictures.

Originally Posted by Veloce
No iPhone output, though?
What do you mean by iPhone output?

Old 02-15-2010, 02:16 AM

Rudy

I saw the epictures posted by dkerns.

Dkerns thanks alot for taking the time doing this. I am really suprised that this thing has Ipod connection, as well as 2USB and AUX outputs. This means I should be able to put a USB p[owered HD in the glove box for permament music library. I didnt understand exacty what you did with the set up in the center console. But seems like you are enjoying your new ipod music collection in your XFire.

Rudy
Can you let me your info so I can order one for myself?

Thanks

Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 AM

Rudy

Dkerns thanks alot for taking the time doing this. I am really suprised that this thing has Ipod connection, as well as 2USB and AUX outputs. This means I should be able to put a USB p[owered HD in the glove box for permament music library. I didnt understand exacty what you did with the set up in the center console. But seems like you are enjoying your new ipod music collection in your XFire.

Rudy

Thanks
The iControl adapter only has one USB port and I recommend against a USB powered HDD as the extra current draw could burn up the iControl adapter.

Like I said in earlier posts, everything will depend on demand. Put your name on the list and hopefully we get 10-20 people in on round two and quickly

Old 02-15-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by rcompart
Well everyone, they went out today and you should have them in the next few days. They're not going out with instructions since they ended up in the snow and slush and all the ink bled. I will email you all a PDF though so you know how to install and operate your new gadget.

Again, I want to thank you all for your patience with this. I know it was a long time coming but worth it all the same.

Take care
Rudy,
Thank you for the great engineering and product. I can't wait to install it. It appears I may have inadvertantly deleted your email with the pdf instructions. Apologize for the inconveinance, but I would appreciate you resending when you can to raystapf@charter.net
Thank you & Kind regards, Ray

Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 AM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Like I said in earlier posts, everything will depend on demand. Put your name on the list and hopefully we get 10-20 people in on round two and quickly
Rudy put me on the list of the next buy group.If there is one...

Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Here is the list I know so far.

Please add here unless there is already another list.

1) t_ediz
2) fb
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Old 02-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Rudy

Rudy

Thanks
In the pictures of the hardware I took prior to install I had a silver 4 port hub connected that I ended up not using. I thought the same thing Rudy had mentioned about pulling to much current. So I ended up just connecting a short usb cable with a gender changer on it so I could plug in a USB jump drive.

As far as running the cable, I do not know how to explain this very well but you can flex the center console panel beside the glove box at the top. Then poke the cables into the center consol cavity beside the radio. I just tied them up and put them in the web holder on the right side of the center console.

I am glad the pictures had some value.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:40 PM

Glad you like it and hope the installation went alright.

Thanks for posting pictures. Mind me asking what radio you had in there previously? I saw the EuroDIN to Motorola antenna adapter in one of the pictures.

Glad you're happy with everything. Looking forward to some install pictures.

What do you mean by iPhone output?
Rudy, the head unit I removed was the JVC KD-S100. The one that had the Bonjovi Acoustic button and the CD that would tune the accoustics to the interior of your car (joke). This was a very expensive radio ($600) at one time. Cruchfield was selling them for $120 a few months ago. I also purchased the JVC adapter for the IPod. It sounded pretty good, but I never likedthe looks of it compared to the Infinity Head Unit.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Portguyofva
Rudy,
Thank you for the great engineering and product. I can't wait to install it. It appears I may have inadvertantly deleted your email with the pdf instructions. Apologize for the inconveinance, but I would appreciate you resending when you can to raystapf@charter.net
Thank you & Kind regards, Ray
I emailed a copy of what Rudy had sent me.....

Old 02-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Forum Regular

Hi
I installed the product in five minutes and love it. Don't know why you did not sell a hundred of them.
Thanks
Bart

Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 Minutes? Is it that easy? the phots do not look like 5 mins.? Also, what about the sound of the head-unit? I heard so may complaints about the sound and how other head units would improve the sound.
I'm a little confused. I's like to keep the stock nav unit, but if i'm going to spend money, I want the best bang for the buck.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe later Rudy, but HP comes first....and my list just keeps growing....

Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there ever going to be one of these for a non-GPS radio?

Quick Reply: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!