Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

Rudy, will iPhones work with this set up?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bout the new I-tablet?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GDC-SRT
How bout the new I-tablet?
Sweeeeeeet.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

So far I've tested it on an iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano and iPod classic. Not sure if it will work with the iPad but since it has a dock connector and uses the same SDK as the iPhone, I don't see why it wouldn't. The one iPod it won't work on is the shuffles because they don't have a dock connector.

As for where I'm at with them, they're in the boxes ready to go, I'm just working on the documentation and testing packaging. I know everyone wants them now now now and could care less about that stuff but I want to make sure they all get there in one piece and that everyone can install them without any hassle. I'll have them out by next weekend.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's patience with the time it took to make all this happen. The wait will have been worth it though because those of you that got them, you're gonna to love them!

Take care,

Rudy

Old 01-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to undersand why is so great about using the factory stereo unless your married to it.

I am not trying to be sarcastic, but I want to understand the motivations.

Are people choosing this option because
1) They have an infinity system and getting a after market radio cost too much to get it installed due to additional wiring. Or cumborsome to do it yourself?

2) They are no sure they can/ should use the factory amp with subwoofers that cames with the factiry radio on infinity systems?

3) Or they just simply like the look of the factory radio?

I am trying to find these answers because I didnt make it to the first ten people and have been asking around to get a nice after market radio installed and locak shops are trying to rip me off by telling me i need to by pass the factory amp, becasuse I have sub woofers and I need to buy and amp and a cross over.

Does this make sense?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 PM

1) They have an infinity system and getting a after market radio cost too much to get it installed due to additional wiring. Or cumborsome to do it yourself?
This is plug and play. You buy this and an ipod and you're listening to your MP3s in a matter of minutes

2) They are no sure they can/ should use the factory amp with subwoofers that cames with the factiry radio on infinity systems?
This has nothing to do with the speaker/amplifier setup in the car other than you don't need to replace the factory radio.

The uniqueness of the silver finish on our console makes most aftermarket radios look out of place and in addition to this, the radios that do have a silver finish on them that resembles the stock console are often very cluttered and hard to operate compared to the stock radio.

I am trying to find these answers because I didnt make it to the first ten people and have been asking around to get a nice after market radio installed and locak shops are trying to rip me off by telling me i need to by pass the factory amp, becasuse I have sub woofers and I need to buy and amp and a cross over.

Does this make sense?
You don't need any of this. The factory radio sends high-level (speaker-level) audio to the factory amplifier. The only thing you lose with the factory amp and an aftermarket head-unit is the ability to fade front to back which you cannot do with the factory head unit as the rear speakers are low-range anyways.

Hope this clears things up.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Forum Regular

I think the price is right.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys! I just got the new itrip for My iPhone 3gs. It uses an application to find the most suitable fm-channel. Works a treat! Cost only 40 bucks no distortion whatsoever, have smartsound as well as mono/stereo function. I give it 10/10 in all areas. It's even better than the iPad.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
So far I've tested it on an iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano and iPod classic. Not sure if it will work with the iPad but since it has a dock connector and uses the same SDK as the iPhone, I don't see why it wouldn't. The one iPod it won't work on is the shuffles because they don't have a dock connector.

As for where I'm at with them, they're in the boxes ready to go, I'm just working on the documentation and testing packaging. I know everyone wants them now now now and could care less about that stuff but I want to make sure they all get there in one piece and that everyone can install them without any hassle. I'll have them out by next weekend.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's patience with the time it took to make all this happen. The wait will have been worth it though because those of you that got them, you're gonna to love them!

Take care,

Rudy
Rudy, thanks for the update. It is worth the wait. I really appreciate you developing this upgrade for our stock head unit.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by t_ediz
I am trying to undersand why is so great about using the factory stereo unless your married to it.

I am not trying to be sarcastic, but I want to understand the motivations.

Are people choosing this option because

Does this make sense?
My motivation falls in line with number three. I installed a new head unit and the silver matches pretty well and it sounds fine. It was a piece of cake to install. It just looks out of place. While I really like our interiors they may be considered dated or a little retro in appearance so my modern looking head unit just doesn't look right to me.

Also the back lighting in the radio is a bluish green and does not match the exisiting green back lighting in our console and dash.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by dkerns
My motivation falls in line with number three. I installed a new head unit and the silver matches pretty well and it sounds fine. It was a piece of cake to install. It just looks out of place. While I really like our interiors they may be considered dated or a little retro in appearance so my modern looking head unit just doesn't look right to me.

Also the back lighting in the radio is a bluish green and does not match the exisiting green back lighting in our console and dash.
You already had the answers to why this even came to be. I'm very picky about this kind of stuff.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
You already had the answers to why this even came to be. I'm very picky about this kind of stuff.
Oops, Sorry did not mean to step on anything. I thought the person who posted was directing the questions to all of us for our opinions.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBU
Hi guys! I just got the new itrip for My iPhone 3gs. It uses an application to find the most suitable fm-channel. Works a treat! Cost only 40 bucks no distortion whatsoever, have smartsound as well as mono/stereo function. I give it 10/10 in all areas. It's even better than the iPad.
I am glad that you like it. I have yet to find an FM transmitter that is adequate for my needs, and not a total waste of money.

To be fair, here are the results of Amazon ratings for iTrip:

5 star: (74)
4 star: (90)
3 star: (43)
2 star: (78)
1 star: (124)

Old 01-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had several fm transmitters and this one together with the iPhone 3gs is spectacular! Have a nice Saturday!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 PM

Rudy,

Thanks for answering my questions. Appreciate the response. Is there an ETA on when people will start receive their units?

And will you work on the second batch of orders and what's the price?

Thanks
Ediz

Old 01-31-2010, 05:45 PM

They will ship this week. As for more units, demand will tell. If there are lots of people interested in them after the first 10 people get them, I may do this again but it took more than 2 months to line up 10 people that wanted these.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Well everyone, they went out today and you should have them in the next few days. They're not going out with instructions since they ended up in the snow and slush and all the ink bled. I will email you all a PDF though so you know how to install and operate your new gadget.

Again, I want to thank you all for your patience with this. I know it was a long time coming but worth it all the same.

Take care

Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Has anyone installed this in the XFire?

Just curious

Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 PM

Installed mine today! Works great. I don't have one of those fancy smancy IPOD thingies but I do have USB jump drives. Just plugged in the wire from the control box to the radio, plugged jump drive in control box, shoved control box and extra wire back into the console with the radio and presto! I was playing my own music in the Xfire. In the future I will be adding an external USB port to the pasenger side of the console so it will be very easy to get to. The Kit was very well explained and installation was a snap. ALL XFIRES should have this...IMHO.

Thanks Accelerated Industries!!!

GuyWagon

Old 02-10-2010, 09:04 PM

Great!

Thanks for the update GuyWagon!

Anybody has a picture what this thing looks like out of the box? I want to get one of these but dunno if I want to wait 5 months to get it.

So from your post I am understanding that this device introduces a USB port from the radio to use for whatever you want to use it for.

It's upto you whether you connect a USB thumb drive, an external USB powered hard drive, or an Ipod, IPhone. And controls the Ipod and the flash drive or hard drive for song navigation too from the factory radio.

Is that true? If that is its awesome!

Ediz

Quick Reply: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!