Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

Originally Posted by Traveler
Hi Rudy, I'm confused. I have 2006 Roadster with Factory Infinity Radio w/NAV and wanting to play my mp3 player into the system as I don't own an Ipod. Are you simply bulk purchasing these units from a German Company SOLISTO and then reselling here in the US or have you developed the box with them? Your initial posts sounded as if you were building these units. Looking on the site Home | Solisto I see they offer a Solisto Pro, clasic and basic model in addition to a single cable connector allowing direct mp3 player connection to the radio for about $20.00 with player control manually not using the Radio buttons. Have you tried this cable and do you bulk purchase them as well for savings. I was going to order direct from SOLISTO but not sure if the cable works with the Infinity Radio. Any help would be appreciated.
Now I can get the instructions on how to use it as you can download them from the Solisto site.
I have always wondered why we never got the User Instructions with this unit, wonder no more.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if there's any updates on the last group buy.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just waiting for one of the parts to get in and then they will be shipped out.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
I'm going to fulfill the previous orders and cover units until the end of their warranty periods and cease selling them.

Take care
You cant stop now. I'll be needing one.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM

Hi Rudy,
I received my NAV Radio interface today -- thanks! I looked for the radio removal tools in the package and didn't see them. Should I have gotten them as part of the package or do I have to buy them?
Thanks
Tom

Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by talbertin
Hi Rudy,
I received my NAV Radio interface today -- thanks! I looked for the radio removal tools in the package and didn't see them. Should I have gotten them as part of the package or do I have to buy them?
Thanks
Tom
The radio tools can be found at pretty much any retailer like Walmart, Sears or BestBuy. A picture of the ones you're looking for is below.

Take care

Old 10-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Mercedes Radio Removal Tools s C E SL CL ml CLK SLK AMG | eBay

Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Thanks Rudy. I got my package over the weekend. I can't wait to get it installed & working. You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:56 AM

Thank you. I got the package and installed the device. Audio sounds great However I'm having a problem with my spoiler. It's actually this problem https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...wire-help.html I had it once before when I installed the Nav radio but I don't remember how I fixed the problem. Any ideas?

I've checked all of the connections and they appear to be connected. The GPS is working as well.

Last edited by J-Walk; 11-10-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 PM

I got it all fixed. I left the spoiler up and shut the car off. Then I started it up and got the car up to spoiler deploying speeds and brought it back to a speed where I could manually put it back down. No more issues.

Kind of strange though that this was the fix.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 PM

Hi Rudy,

Perhaps you or other members have run across this problem and have a solution. I use the Aux In interface for XM Radio and USB interface for a memory stick with my favorite MP3's. The "Talk Over" function (explained below) of the "I-pod Control keeps interrupting the USB play back even thought the XM Radio is off. This only happens when the engine is running. Apparently there is enough electrical "noise" with the engine running that a signal is seen at the Aux In and interrupting the USB play back.

When using the USB, I can physically unplug the XM Radio from "Aux In" to eliminate the problem. Not the ideal solution though. Is the a way to disable the "Talk Over" function? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

The “Talk Over” functionality is especially aimed at connecting mobile satnavs to the "I-pod Control". In normal operation the interfaces for iPod and USB have a higher priority than the Aux In interface. E.g. if a USB drive is connected to the Solisto, music is played from that and not the Aux In. A feature of the "I-pod Control" is that the Aux In interrupts the music played over the iPod or USB interface when there is an audio signal at the Aux In. After the signal is gone, the "I-pod Control" switches back to the iPod or USB interface. Example: music is being played from the USB drive, the audio output of the satnav is connected to the Aux In of the "I-pod Control". Whenever there is a message from the satnav, the music from the USB drive is interrupted and the message is put through to the head unit and the speakers of the car. After the end of the message, the "I-pod Control" will automatically switch back to the music on the USB drive.

Other audio devices can be connected to the Aux In the same way. The basic principle remains the same.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM

...As for the iControl, Solisto provides the hardware and I provide the support...
Rudy, Rudy - I'm very disappointed with your action.
You could save us a great deal of time and headache, but you didn't.

For about 2 years I was struggling with copying 7-8 albums into each CDx folder and dealing with almost a hundred of files in each folder. Sorting them there and renaming files certain ways, were I could just use the Playlist files and have a better understanding how this box works.

I thought you're just one guy who created the device in a garage, so I stuck with limited functionality and NO user's guide, but turned out you were just reselling those boxes to make a few bucks, which is totally FINE, except for the fear of revealing your "business model" secret you were concealing the original User's Guide from us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset that you made a few bucks with it. I'm upset that you did NOT provided the full documentation with it. After all you did mentioned that you provide the support, but apparently you wasn't doing it very well.

As most Crossfire owners I have another car that can play MP3's from USB's. So I have dozens of folders on each USB drive named with artist and album names for easy navigation. But I thought I could NOT use those folders with this box because they are named CD1 through 9, so I had to move/copy some of the files into CDx folders which is not convenient when you have 80-90 songs per folder.

Turned out, I could just create Playlist files according to the manual and refer to files in any folders.

Why Rudy, why you wasn't honest with us? You could at least copy-n-paste the user's guide here and remove any reference to the Original Equipment Manufacturer of iControl.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by NetChain
Rudy, Rudy - I'm very disappointed with your action.
You could save us a great deal of time and headache, but you didn't.

For about 2 years I was struggling with copying 7-8 albums into each CDx folder and dealing with almost a hundred of files in each folder. Sorting them there and renaming files certain ways, were I could just use the Playlist files and have a better understanding how this box works.

I thought you're just one guy who created the device in a garage, so I stuck with limited functionality and NO user's guide, but turned out you were just reselling those boxes to make a few bucks, which is totally FINE, except for the fear of revealing your "business model" secret you were concealing the original User's Guide from us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset that you made a few bucks with it. I'm upset that you did NOT provided the full documentation with it. After all you did mentioned that you provide the support, but apparently you wasn't doing it very well.

As most Crossfire owners I have another car that can play MP3's from USB's. So I have dozens of folders on each USB drive named with artist and album names for easy navigation. But I thought I could NOT use those folders with this box because they are named CD1 through 9, so I had to move/copy some of the files into CDx folders which is not convenient when you have 80-90 songs per folder.

Turned out, I could just create Playlist files according to the manual and refer to files in any folders.

Why Rudy, why you wasn't honest with us? You could at least copy-n-paste the user's guide here and remove any reference to the Original Equipment Manufacturer of iControl.
Sorry you feel that I didn't offer good enough support for this product as I tried very hard to do just that. As for the features you're referencing, not every radio has the same software and thus some of these features work on some while they do not on others. There have been several revisions of both hardware and software and not one unit has shipped that hasn't been compatible with all software versions. It would be pretty tough to sell someone on a feature that isn't compatible with their radio, especially since there is no way to really know without plugging it in and trying them all out so for the sake of not promising things that may not be available, only the features and file system guidelines that were compatible with every radio where talked about. Also note that until I started working with the manufacturer, there was no support for the radios in these cars and as a few members that knew about this when I first started messing around with it, out of the box, the units had VERY limited functionality and were far from the products that were sold to everyone here on the forum.

I guess the only thing I can do is apologize that you felt I dropped the ball with support but I hope that you at least enjoyed having something to play your music through the factory radio and understand my rational for how I handled everything.

Take care

Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 PM

...I guess the only thing I can do is apologize that you felt I dropped the ball with support but I hope that you at least enjoyed having something to play your music through the factory radio and understand my rational for how I handled everything.Take care
Thanks for the respond Rudy. It's OK. I did (and still am) truly enjoying the controller thanks to you.

And I do see how prompt you are with all the responds in this form, so I have to correct my self - I do appreciate your support

So, no hard feelings. I'm just glad that I finally found a solution to this long-standing problem.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:42 PM

Solisto/Rudy iPod control users manual.
English version only.

Report back if you have any problems due to software related problems as Rudy has indicated will happen.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Solisto/Rudy iPod control users manual.
English version only.

Report back if you have any problems due to software related problems as Rudy has indicated will happen.
Just for reference, NetChain is talking about the USB stick functionality. Not the iPod part. The ipod part is pretty cut and dry. You either have 6 playlists or you have 10 but I never advertised all 10 because some peoples radios won't see them all. There is no other change but since we're on the subject, some radios only see 6 CDs and use CD 6 as for direct access if there isn't a CD 6, while others see 10 but use CD6 or CD10 for direct access.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 PM

Just for reference, NetChain is talking about the USB stick functionality. Not the iPod part. The ipod part is pretty cut and dry. You either have 6 playlists or you have 10 but I never advertised all 10 because some peoples radios won't see them all. There is no other change but since we're on the subject, some radios only see 6 CDs and use CD 6 as for direct access if there isn't a CD 6, while others see 10 but use CD6 or CD10 for direct access.
Frankly I know nothing about this bit of gear, I got it for my son to play with on our way to Woodward. I have not used it since as I have nothing to plug into it. The limit of my knowledge on this radio is how to plug in and use the CD changer in the trunk and the nav function ... sort of.

My son of course knew how to use it instinctively.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:05 PM

For the talk over function, is it possible that the alternator/battery is putting too much Of a charge for the function to work? If I turn the volume up while trying to use the function and speed up, the frequency of the static whine will increase as well, matching the accel/decel of the engine.

Just tryin' to spitball ideas. My theory is to put a resistor or capacitor between live and the radio to see if this would solve the issue.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by J-Walk
For the talk over function, is it possible that the alternator/battery is putting too much Of a charge for the function to work? If I turn the volume up while trying to use the function and speed up, the frequency of the static whine will increase as well, matching the accel/decel of the engine.

Just tryin' to spitball ideas. My theory is to put a resistor or capacitor between live and the radio to see if this would solve the issue.
My recommendation would be to either disconnect the wire at the iControl so you don't have what essentially becomes an antenna for electrical noise or to connect it to something that has an operating ground on the audio circuit (GPS that is turned on, MP3 player that is turned on, ect.)

Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM

I will try that, thanks. And to clarify the (minor) issue, it's the same one Mirenic described in post #431

The function works perfectly when the engine is off and the radio is drawing a charge from the battery. But the second you turn the key over, it keeps the talk over function active. That, and the increase in the static whine when the engine is accelerating is what brought me to my alternator conclusion.

Quick Reply: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!