Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

Awesome, payment sent!

Hmm I wonder if this would work with my ipad as well... could finally find a use for that thing.

Could tether my 4g phone and stream some netfilx on the go as well!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sheldon
Awesome, payment sent!

Hmm I wonder if this would work with my ipad as well... could finally find a use for that thing.

Could tether my 4g phone and stream some netfilx on the go as well!
The iPhone, iPod and iPad all have the same output pins in the dock connector so it should work fine!

-Dan-

Old 04-09-2011, 10:51 AM

I bet that this is an older thread, and admittedly I did not read it all. I am looking for a primarily a bluetooth interface with the car, the Parrot MKi9200 offers that, and I can get them on ebay for less. Now I am not trying to give anyone a hard time, because I like to ke the original nav radio, but I can acheive the same thig with a $20 FM interface, and velcro the iPhone to the dash, or spend another $15 for a suction mount that I can move from car to car.

Sorry this seems like a lot of cash for something that doesn't offer you that much in return. I only paid $200 for my Phone!

If you like the PArrot, and want to replace the XFSatNav: tak a look at this: Parrot Asteroid I found that on Amazon for $345.00

Sorry Rudy, but the cost/coolness factor is too high for me.

Now I am looking for an iPhone App/hardware that will let me unlock/lock and start the car!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottw60
I bet that this is an older thread, and admittedly I did not read it all. I am looking for a primarily a bluetooth interface with the car, the Parrot MKi9200 offers that, and I can get them on ebay for less. Now I am not trying to give anyone a hard time, because I like to ke the original nav radio, but I can acheive the same thig with a $20 FM interface, and velcro the iPhone to the dash, or spend another $15 for a suction mount that I can move from car to car.

Sorry this seems like a lot of cash for something that doesn't offer you that much in return. I only paid $200 for my Phone!

If you like the PArrot, and want to replace the XFSatNav: tak a look at this: Parrot Asteroid I found that on Amazon for $345.00

Sorry Rudy, but the cost/coolness factor is too high for me.

Now I am looking for an iPhone App/hardware that will let me unlock/lock and start the car!
It's OK Scott, this isn't for everybody due to the cost but for those that want to retain their stock radio and the overall cosmetics of the interior, it's really the only choice. As for achieving the same thing for $20 using an FM transmitter, some will argue that the sound quality isn't as great and I would have to agree but to each their own. All that matters though is that you are happy with whatever route you take.

Take care

Old 04-14-2011, 06:16 PM

A few corrections:
Parrot Asteroid I found that on Amazon for $345.00
No, you did not. Model Asteroid may be available later this year, or maybe even later. What you have found on Amazon was just another car stereo made by Parrot, has nothing to do with their Android-based model "Asteroid". A year ago they said it will be in 2010. I was waiting, and waiting, and now they promised in 2011.
...but I can acheive the same thing with a $20 FM interface
Again, you can not. Normally I would never use a phrase like "all of those adapters work like a crap", never. I mean how can I possibly know about every single device sold in this country? That wouldn't be a fair statement, correct?

Well, in this case that's incorrect. I can actually honestly say that all of those adapters can not possibly work reliably, and it's not because I'm such a smart ašs and tested every single brand. No. I can say that because every single device sold in the US suppose to be approved by FCC (Federal Communication Commission). And they (FCC) have a regulation that all those little adapters can NOT broadcast your music with the output power higher than certain number. A very small number. Now, that's why all of those, which sold legally in the US can not possibly produce a good quality signal.

Of course, if you live a hundred miles away from a nearest city, then this device may work very well for you, because of no interference with other radio stations. But I for instance live in San Diego, and I can't use those. We have a free channel, but the interference from other near by channels makes some noises. I tried about 10 different models and finally gave up.

Even if you get a decent "clean" signal, without a noise, you still wouldn't get the quality of a regular FM radio station, which doesn't even come close to the CD quality. (trust me, radio station equipment cost more than 20 bucks).

Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by NetChain
A few corrections:

No, you did not. Model Asteroid may be available later this year, or maybe even later. What you have found on Amazon was just another car stereo made by Parrot, has nothing to do with their Android-based model "Asteroid". A year ago they said it will be in 2010. I was waiting, and waiting, and now they promised in 2011.
Again, you can not. Normally I would never use a phrase like "all of those adapters work like a crap", never. I mean how can I possibly know about every single device sold in this country? That wouldn't be a fair statement, correct?

Well, in this case that's incorrect. I can actually honestly say that all of those adapters can not possibly work reliably, and it's not because I'm such a smart ašs and tested every single brand. No. I can say that because every single device sold in the US suppose to be approved by FCC (Federal Communication Commission). And they (FCC) have a regulation that all those little adapters can NOT broadcast your music with the output power higher than certain number. A very small number. Now, that's why all of those, which sold legally in the US can not possibly produce a good quality signal.

Of course, if you live a hundred miles away from a nearest city, then this device may work very well for you, because of no interference with other radio stations. But I for instance live in San Diego, and I can't use those. We have a free channel, but the interference from other near by channels makes some noises. I tried about 10 different models and finally gave up.

Even if you get a decent "clean" signal, without a noise, you still wouldn't get the quality of a regular FM radio station, which doesn't even come close to the CD quality. (trust me, radio station equipment cost more than 20 bucks).
Quick and easy trick to make those 0.3 watt FM transmitters work - Disconnect the antenna! As long as the device does not transmit, it is safe to do that. In fact I do it all of the time in all of my vehicles to listen to XM or an iPod. All this $250 device is giving you over some of my suggestions is the control on the radio, while cool, not worth it in my book.

I was not aware of that unit being on back order, I am not interested in it anyway, I am looking at the Jensen with a 7" motorized touch screen and a Mac Mini in the glove compartment with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, but the iPhone was a gift to myself for getting a new job, and now I am trying to figure how to make that work (I wanna see the display of the iPhone on the 7" display) without spending more than I paid for the phone ($200 - trade in with Verizon)

Sorry Rudy =)

Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 PM

How many more orders of these do you need to get this round shipped?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:27 PM

I will have these units out hopefully sometime this week but definitely everyone will have theirs before June.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
I will have these units out hopefully sometime this week but definitely everyone will have theirs before June.
Oh, very nice! Thanks for the update Rudy!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by rcompart
How's it going?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Here is an update for the group buy. Everything is set and units will be shipping this week. I apologize for the delay but I have been running running running for the last month and finally am having a chance to catch up on things.

Everyone will receive a tracking update when your package ships via the email address you used with PayPal.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to get in contact with me via phone or email.

Thanks and take care

Old 06-12-2011, 08:44 PM

Sweet got mine yesterday, can't find somewhere in town that has the euro radio removers though

Is it better to mount the box unit inside the console or outside on the passenger side? I see the wires somehow have a way to get out over there?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sheldon
Sweet got mine yesterday, can't find somewhere in town that has the euro radio removers though

Is it better to mount the box unit inside the console or outside on the passenger side? I see the wires somehow have a way to get out over there?
I got mine as well, thanks Rudy! Sheldon, as a test i put my box in the net on the passengers side of the tunnel, it fits nicely. The wire will fit between the carpet and plastic of the console with a little persuasion. I plan to do a custom install with jacks in the center console once I get some time.

For everyone else who got these as well, make sure you have a playlist called CD1, CD2, etc. on your iPod/iPhone in order to use the playlist control of the NAV receiver. I had to read through the thread in order to find out what to name them in order to work properly.

-Dan-

Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 PM

Got this installed today after my radio removal tools came in... I love it!

Great product, worth every penny!

Works perfect with my old iphone! Tried the usb and it kept going out on me, but I really only wanted it for the ipod cable anyways.

Will try it with my iPad tonight, since it seems my fiance has held it captive

Old 06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Thumbs up Re: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I just installed it.

WOW...

I didn't expected extra features. The device works with 10 (not 6) folders (CD1 through CD10) via USB.

Also, there's a text scrolling on the screen in the "Artist Name - Track Title" format, again via USB.

Navigation is fast, the quality is great, I couldn't be any happier.

I haven't tried yet 8GB flash drives, to take the advantage of all space, but I hope it'll work.

The device is very nicely done in the metal case, all cables, everything is professionally made and wrapped.

Thanks Rudy! I'm very happy with my purchase.

Last edited by NetChain; 06-24-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:15 PM

Do you have anymore of these iPod connecters available or will you be starting another production? Just got an 07 Crossfire Roadster a couple of months ago and I need one of these connecters. I don't want to change the appearance of the car's interior. Waiting to hear good news I hope!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM

Rudy, Thanks for the iPhone controller. Works like a Pro! So far though, I seem to get the most fun out of a 32gig flash drive in the USB port! 10 folders @ 99 songs per ... that could take me to ... just about anywhere!

Beaner will help me with the QT module this weekend. Can't wait for it!

What a great setup that controller is. I just set it in the space behind the airbag side cover on the pass sied of the dash and ran a USB extension cable into the glove box. The other two connections are tucked into the map pocket net on the tranny hump.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted. What a treat that you developed this for everyone. Coupled with the Best Bang for your stereo buck mod, it makes driving with the top down a blast!

Great design, high quality. I love it!

I'll guess I better stop humpin' your leg and let you get back to designing the backup camera (nudge nudge).

Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 PM

I had bought used ipod unit from Kerry bought orginaly through this fourm, and I am getting good sound from left side but rignt side I have to turn the balance completly to right to get some sound ,tried diffferent ipods ,and get the same results. The radio and CD work fine with the sound, and yes still trying to figure out the navigation.
Which wires should I check to see if the ipod they are connected?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Billy D
I had bought used ipod unit from Kerry bought orginaly through this fourm, and I am getting good sound from left side but rignt side I have to turn the balance completly to right to get some sound ,tried diffferent ipods ,and get the same results. The radio and CD work fine with the sound, and yes still trying to figure out the navigation.
Which wires should I check to see if the ipod they are connected?
I apologize that you got one that does not work. Please get in touch with me so I can get you out one that works and see what failed on the one you have. My number is 952-681-1000.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Rudy,

Do you have the iPod control units on hand? Would I just use the PayPay link on the previous page to order?

Thanks,

Steve

Quick Reply: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!