All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Question about V8 Crossfires

Old 02-28-2020 | 06:39 AM
Default Question about V8 Crossfires

Hi there!

I'm interested in a V8 swap and have some questions which I would appreciate some help with.

1. It seems V8 swaps are quite popular. But some of the Mercedes V8s being swapped in these cars barely make more power than the SRT6 V6 engine. So is the goal of the swap only for the novelty of having a V8 and for the sound?

2. I would think a V8, like the M113 weighs quite a bit more than the V6? Does it also weigh more than the SRT6 supercharged V6?

3. How does a V8 like the M113 affect the handling? It's probably heavier and because it is longer it sticks out more at the front. That shifts the weight balance and weights distribution in a negative way. Does it make the car handle worse?

4. The Crossfire's probably most criticized technical weakness is the steering. And also that it understeers. One of the main complains from magazines at the time which tested the original Startech V8 was understeering. I would think the extra weight and specially shift of weight more frontwards would make the steering worse? As well as make the car understeer even more?

Thanks for your time.

Old 02-28-2020 | 08:40 AM
Default Re: Question about V8 Crossfires

Originally Posted by Xdam
Hi there!

I'm interested in a V8 swap and have some questions which I would appreciate some help with.

1. It seems V8 swaps are quite popular. But some of the Mercedes V8s being swapped in these cars barely make more power than the SRT6 V6 engine. So is the goal of the swap only for the novelty of having a V8 and for the sound?

2. I would think a V8, like the M113 weighs quite a bit more than the V6? Does it also weigh more than the SRT6 supercharged V6?

3. How does a V8 like the M113 affect the handling? It's probably heavier and because it is longer it sticks out more at the front. That shifts the weight balance and weights distribution in a negative way. Does it make the car handle worse?

4. The Crossfire's probably most criticized technical weakness is the steering. And also that it understeers. One of the main complains from magazines at the time which tested the original Startech V8 was understeering. I would think the extra weight and specially shift of weight more frontwards would make the steering worse? As well as make the car understeer even more?

Thanks for your time.
The popular swap involves a supercharged AMG V8, I have been in one. Hang onto your hat.

Old 02-28-2020 | 10:53 AM

removed by me ,,

Last edited by amx1397; 03-07-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2020 | 04:14 PM

Thanks for the links. I had actually read all 3 threads before I posted mine. I'm looking forward to lotsofspareparts update after his No Bueno comment. I hope he will figure it out.

But none of the threads had answers to my questions above.

Old 02-28-2020 | 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The popular swap involves a supercharged AMG V8, I have been in one. Hang onto your hat.
Nice. But I have also seen the standard M113 5.0 and 5,4 being swapped in.

And how is the handling after these swaps?

Old 02-28-2020 | 05:56 PM

Nice. But I have also seen the standard M113 5.0 and 5,4 being swapped in.

And how is the handling after these swaps?
Hi

I've done swaps with the 5.4L M113 NA and the M113K. The NA engine weighs about the same as the SRT6 engine and its centre of gravity is lower (it doesn't have the heavy supercharger sitting up on top of it). I've used larger H&R sway bars on the cars and they handle fine. The main difference with the V8 is the amount of torque (acceleration).

Old 02-29-2020 | 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by CL770
Hi

I've done swaps with the 5.4L M113 NA and the M113K. The NA engine weighs about the same as the SRT6 engine and its centre of gravity is lower (it doesn't have the heavy supercharger sitting up on top of it). I've used larger H&R sway bars on the cars and they handle fine. The main difference with the V8 is the amount of torque (acceleration).
Interesting to know the weight of the NA M113 5.4 is the same as the SRT6 engine. I was suspecting as much. I also suspect that the difference in weight between the NA 5.4 and the supercharged 5.4 would be similar to the difference between the V6 NA and SRT6 V6.

Are there published weights for the M113 range?

What about length? Are the cylinders the same size between the V6 and the V8 M113? So how much longer it is than the V6?

It makes sense about the center of gravity being lower in the NA M113. I had not thought of that and this is certainly an advantage. Although that goes out of the window with the M113 5.4 supercharged. It is then heavier plus as high of a center of gravity.

The power the 5.4 NA puts out is just a little over the SRT6. Between 17 and 37 hp according to Wikipedia. With the torque being considerably more in the 5.4 as you say, this is really the only advantage. Another advantage, if it's possible to have the 5.4 NA with a manual, is to have a powerful manual car for those who prefer manuals, which is my case. The SRT6 is auto only. Or is the 5.4 only possible with an auto? I didn't check, but as it's an AMG engine, I doubt a manual is possible, at least easily. If not, maybe with the M113 5.0?

If the M113 5.0 is possible with a manual then I can start seeing why anybody would swap in a 5.0, even if it makes about 25 hp less than the SRT6. But the issue here is that with a Kleemann supercharger, the V6 NA can easily output more than the 5.0 M113. Although with the higher center of gravity again. But I suspect a 5.0 swap might end up cheaper or the same price as a Kleemann supercharger install. Unless you're lucky to find an used one, which is not likely. But the 5.0 M113 would still offer more torque, lower center and a V8 sound track. So much to think about.

But the question is, is a manual transmission an option with any of the Mercedes V8 swaps?

Last edited by Xdam; 02-29-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-01-2020 | 06:42 AM

Interesting to know the weight of the NA M113 5.4 is the same as the SRT6 engine. I was suspecting as much. I also suspect that the difference in weight between the NA 5.4 and the supercharged 5.4 would be similar to the difference between the V6 NA and SRT6 V6.

Are there published weights for the M113 range?

What about length? Are the cylinders the same size between the V6 and the V8 M113? So how much longer it is than the V6?

It makes sense about the center of gravity being lower in the NA M113. I had not thought of that and this is certainly an advantage. Although that goes out of the window with the M113 5.4 supercharged. It is then heavier plus as high of a center of gravity.

The power the 5.4 NA puts out is just a little over the SRT6. Between 17 and 37 hp according to Wikipedia. With the torque being considerably more in the 5.4 as you say, this is really the only advantage. Another advantage, if it's possible to have the 5.4 NA with a manual, is to have a powerful manual car for those who prefer manuals, which is my case. The SRT6 is auto only. Or is the 5.4 only possible with an auto? I didn't check, but as it's an AMG engine, I doubt a manual is possible, at least easily. If not, maybe with the M113 5.0?

If the M113 5.0 is possible with a manual then I can start seeing why anybody would swap in a 5.0, even if it makes about 25 hp less than the SRT6. But the issue here is that with a Kleemann supercharger, the V6 NA can easily output more than the 5.0 M113. Although with the higher center of gravity again. But I suspect a 5.0 swap might end up cheaper or the same price as a Kleemann supercharger install. Unless you're lucky to find an used one, which is not likely. But the 5.0 M113 would still offer more torque, lower center and a V8 sound track. So much to think about.

But the question is, is a manual transmission an option with any of the Mercedes V8 swaps?
To answer your question I have a 5.4 AMG in my manual transmission crossfire.

Old 03-02-2020 | 09:00 AM

there are adapter kits to use a bmw GS6-53DZ and other variations of manual transmissions for the mb m113
If I remember the GS6-53DZ is the stronger one, or close to it, but they have one that is rated around 460 ft lbs and on bmw forums talking about using it on 1,000 hp cars for racing.
Adapter kit, single piece aluminum flywheel and clutch for about the same price as a oe dual mass flywheel and clutch for our m112 's

Old 03-02-2020 | 09:23 AM

Thanks guys. So no electronic problems with swapping the transmission for a manual? I had heard that swapping to manual with a SRT6 would be a nightmare.

Old 03-04-2020 | 07:31 PM

And what is the most costly part of a V8 swap, normally? I'm guessing it is not the engine itself? Thanks.

Old 03-06-2020 | 04:56 PM

When I joined the forum, I was told it was the biggest Crossfire forum on the web. But there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of traffic or replies here? Is it a case of interest in the Crossfire in general has been slowing down, or maybe I posted this in the wrong section, or is this not the biggest Crossfire forum on the web?

Another question that I have is what is the biggest headache with the electronics.

I did run some searches trying to find answer to the questions. But it seems the most common answer is, send your car to a certain fellow named Rudy. But I can't do that as I'm just too far.

Old 03-06-2020 | 05:49 PM

Drop down to engine exhaust and transmission and read the cheapest V8 swap, it will give you info. One of the reasons for the lack of response is the lack of V8 Crossfires.

Old 03-06-2020 | 07:20 PM

again removed by me

Last edited by amx1397; 03-07-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2020 | 01:40 AM

When I joined the forum, I was told it was the biggest Crossfire forum on the web. But there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of traffic or replies here? Is it a case of interest in the Crossfire in general has been slowing down, or maybe I posted this in the wrong section, or is this not the biggest Crossfire forum on the web?

Another question that I have is what is the biggest headache with the electronics.

I did run some searches trying to find answer to the questions. But it seems the most common answer is, send your car to a certain fellow named Rudy. But I can't do that as I'm just too far.

For a forum with such a poor response it sure hasn’t stopped you from posting.
you need to know;
-its a great car
-it has problems, Every car does.
-read previous posts

Don’t just troll, go and buy one. Experience it for yourself, don’t live it through all of us.

get an SRT
supercharged
Turn the key and drive 330-350hp
available in both roadster and coupe
a ton of fun

you’ll either love or hate it.

Worst case, if it doesn’t work, just sell it.

Old 03-07-2020 | 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by UrbanE
For a forum with such a poor response it sure hasn’t stopped you from posting.
you need to know;
-its a great car
-it has problems, Every car does.
-read previous posts

Don’t just troll, go and buy one. Experience it for yourself, don’t live it through all of us.
Hmm, what does all that have to do with the V8 swap questions? And are you one of those who can't take criticism of his car? It's just a car, not your wife. And I have made plenty of compliments on the car. Because I actually like it. Actually I have made way more compliments than critics. The only criticism was about the steering, which pretty much every realistic owner here agreed. Because again, it is there!

So if somebody is not agreeing with you, he is a troll?

I'm doing research. This is why I'm asking questions. Funny how in the German side, even with my broken sentences and not fluid German, I have been better received.

And if I find a solution, I will not play the mystery card and keep the secrets close to my chest to try to make money. I will share! I actually intend to publish a full how to with step by step instructions and break this BS mysterious spell. The point of communities is to help each other!

get an SRT
supercharged
Turn the key and drive 330-350hp
available in both roadster and coupe
a ton of fun

you’ll either love or hate it.

Worst case, if it doesn’t work, just sell it.
Yes, and the part where I said I want a manual?

Old 03-07-2020 | 12:23 PM

Hmm, what does all that have to do with the V8 swap questions? And are you one of those who can't take criticism of his car? It's just a car, not your wife. And I have made plenty of compliments on the car. Because I actually like it. Actually I have made way more compliments than critics. The only criticism was about the steering, which pretty much every realistic owner here agreed. Because again, it is there!

So if somebody is not agreeing with you, he is a troll?

I'm doing research. This is why I'm asking questions. Funny how in the German side, even with my broken sentences and not fluid German, I have been better received.

And if I find a solution, I will not play the mystery card and keep the secrets close to my chest to try to make money. I will share! I actually intend to publish a full how to with step by step instructions and break this BS mysterious spell. The point of communities is to help each other!

Yes, and the part where I said I want a manual?
you’ve stated that you’re doing research. If that were so, you would have already discovered that it’s not going to happen. Better yet, prove me wrong.

Good luck on installing a manual. We are all looking forward to you buying and building one.
show us you can do it. We’ll all applaud you for your efforts.

Im just calling out what I see as “all hat and no cattle”

I have not received much in the way of negative feedback, possibly due to the fact that when I wanted to start a project. I just did. I didn’t talk about what I was going to do, I just did it and shared progress all along the way.

I’ve been extremely fortunate to have been able to purchase my NA and convert it into something else. Granted it’s not a TRUE SRT, the VIN calls it out. But I bought and commenced with the conversion. It’s taken 4-5 years but it’s done.

I didn’t hide anything, actually I’ve been really transparent. Probably to the point where many forum readers may be saying “stop posting images of your damn car”

AMG rocker panel fabrication, shared that
Double din fabrication, shared that
Repair OEM illuminated sill, shared that
Repair SRT Fixed wing, shared that
Oh I almost forgot, I wanted a little more HP than what I experienced with the NA, so I swapped the powertrain. With Rudy's talented ECU programming skills, I was able to complete that, shared that too.

When I was young and wanted to meet girls, I didn’t ask a forum what was possible, I just jumped in with both feet. It took a while but I found the perfect wife. Just do it.

You’re getting worked up over nothing other than being called out.

But, do I have a Crossfire, (and I really like it) check that box

I call
Now, show me yours

Old 03-07-2020 | 12:50 PM

Hey UrbanE, I mostly agree with you as being a previous street rod builder and listening to the "wanna bees" over the years,for sure. There is nothing wrong with a "wanna be", you and I were at one time. The difference is that we actually did it and didn't just talk about "doing it". A wise man told me years ago, " People have 2 tongues, one in their mouth and one in their shoes. Pay attention to the one in their shoes." Just sayin'.

Old 03-07-2020 | 02:05 PM

If I was OP, wanted to keep manual gearbox and drop M113 V8, M137 V12 or add any kind of forced induction to the V6, I would SERIOUSLY consider stand-alone ECU unit, for example Ecumaster EMU Black. Sure, they are pricey, but easy for professional tuners to work with. For simplicity, I would use short circuit for engine start-stop bypassing all the SKREEM stuff. I mean, nobody will try to steal Crossfire anyway lol. One should take shortcuts with unnecessary items and pay more attention and money on key areas, like manual transmission reliability. I believe i found a way to keep stock gearbox, and that is CRYOGENIC treatment of gearbox internals - You can read about it here: https://shiftsst.com/blog/post/cryogenic.html

I'm using manual transmission and actively exploring the NA 3.7 V6 M112 tuning area, because I figured out it will be way easier to find people and parts for mechanically enchancing the engine, than dealing with riddiculous electronic tweaks adding any sort of boost to V6. Also, I enjoy NA sport engines more.

Old 03-07-2020 | 03:59 PM

you’ve stated that you’re doing research. If that were so, you would have already discovered that it’s not going to happen. Better yet, prove me wrong.

Good luck on installing a manual. We are all looking forward to you buying and building one.
show us you can do it. We’ll all applaud you for your efforts.

Im just calling out what I see as “all hat and no cattle”

I have not received much in the way of negative feedback, possibly due to the fact that when I wanted to start a project. I just did. I didn’t talk about what I was going to do, I just did it and shared progress all along the way.

I’ve been extremely fortunate to have been able to purchase my NA and convert it into something else. Granted it’s not a TRUE SRT, the VIN calls it out. But I bought and commenced with the conversion. It’s taken 4-5 years but it’s done.

I didn’t hide anything, actually I’ve been really transparent. Probably to the point where many forum readers may be saying “stop posting images of your damn car”

AMG rocker panel fabrication, shared that
Double din fabrication, shared that
Repair OEM illuminated sill, shared that
Repair SRT Fixed wing, shared that
Oh I almost forgot, I wanted a little more HP than what I experienced with the NA, so I swapped the powertrain. With Rudy's talented ECU programming skills, I was able to complete that, shared that too.

When I was young and wanted to meet girls, I didn’t ask a forum what was possible, I just jumped in with both feet. It took a while but I found the perfect wife. Just do it.

You’re getting worked up over nothing other than being called out.

But, do I have a Crossfire, (and I really like it) check that box

I call
Now, show me yours

But I don't know where you got the idea I want to do a manual SRT. I never said that. I have been saying since the beginning. The only options for me is either a NA manual or a V8 swap, if a manual is possible. I was told here that a V8 manual is indeed possible. SRT? Don't want one. Not interested in one.

The rest, not even going to bother replaying. Talk about going off in a senseless tangent.

Last edited by Xdam; 03-07-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about V8 Crossfires