All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Engine mods

Old 11-13-2015, 11:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Engine mods

After reading a lot of recent posts, I just have to say this! If you don't know your RICHARD from a torque wrench, leave it alone! This car is a GOOD car, sure it has a few flaws but nothing that can't be fixed. Saying that, it is also pretty sophisticated electronically and mechanically, so if you are NOT a car guy, don't get in over your head and start fiddling with things. Many of the problems that I see brought up on the forum are user induced, not double checking torque settings and connections, hoses disconnected, in general a lot of 1/2 a--ed work. Many want more than the car has to offer, which is a lot, but it is only 195 cu in, it isn't going to make 800 hp. It is a great GT car in the finest German tradition, if you bought it for something else, shame on you. Leave the mods to someone who knows something about cars!

Old 11-14-2015, 12:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine mods

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
After reading a lot of recent posts, I just have to say this! If you don't know your RICHARD from a torque wrench, leave it alone! This car is a GOOD car, sure it has a few flaws but nothing that can't be fixed. Saying that, it is also pretty sophisticated electronically and mechanically, so if you are NOT a car guy, don't get in over your head and start fiddling with things. Many of the problems that I see brought up on the forum are user induced, not double checking torque settings and connections, hoses disconnected, in general a lot of 1/2 a--ed work. Many want more than the car has to offer, which is a lot, but it is only 195 cu in, it isn't going to make 800 hp. It is a great GT car in the finest German tradition, if you bought it for something else, shame on you. Leave the mods to someone who knows something about cars!
In my old flat head days bore & stroke, port and relieve, chop the flywheel, mill the head more compression, My crossfire is just fine for me did add a K&N filter, I don't need any more.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm curious. Any post in particular prompted that ^^^^^

Old 11-14-2015, 07:03 PM

[QUOTE=ala_xfire;852639]I'm curious. Any post in particular prompted that

No, it's just an observation after 4 years on the forum. This malady isn't restricted to Xfire owners, it's epidemic in the auto world. One of the reasons the makers want work done at the dealers. Look at some of the questions that get asked: I just changed oil and now my brakes feel spongy, any thoughts? That may be a little extreme but you get the idea. Most owners don't really understand how things work, it's like my mother trying to fix her TV.
I'm just saying, if you want a hot 1/4 mile weapon, go buy a funny car, if you want an absolute road rocket, buy a 488 Ferrari, if you're planning on mud crawling, buy a 4X4. And if you're not really an experienced car person, better to leave it to someone else.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:02 PM

I feel you brother .......

Old 11-15-2015, 12:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

... I just changed oil and now my brakes feel spongy, any thoughts? That may be a little extreme but you get the idea. Most owners don't really understand how things work, it's like my mother trying to fix her TV...
LOL, now that's funny

I'm a car guy and I had 'the fever' when I first got this one. I'm up to the point of upgrading the TB/ intake and just can't pull the trigger on that one. I keep asking myself; "do I really need that little bit extra,...'cause it runs great right now????"

Anyway, just my current thoughts. the TB is really the only thing left for a NA in my opinion. Now if I had an SRT daily driver...then yeh, I'd be tweaking it for more.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Received 611 Likes on 511 Posts

True in many ways but even you started somewhere without any knowledge, the best method is to read all you can about what you intend to do and record your steps as you go, that record will prove invaluable when you start to put things back together, digital cameras are a great asset in that regard.

The first thing I remember taking apart was a pocket watch that did not work, I was about five or six I guess and it never went back together at all.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
True in many ways but even you started somewhere without any knowledge, the best method is to read all you can about what you intend to do and record your steps as you go, that record will prove invaluable when you start to put things back together, digital cameras are a great asset in that regard.

The first thing I remember taking apart was a pocket watch that did not work, I was about five or six I guess and it never went back together at all.
The one difference between 180, alaxfire, me and the other old guys and the new, younger crowd getting into these high-tech/performance cars is:

we grew up changing oil, tuning up (cap/rotor/condenser/POINTS), brakes, replacing the odd ball joint/tie rod end, etc. on whatever we had. Our dads were usually involved.

My first foray into supervised auto repair was replacing the clutch on my folks '67 Mustang after I burned it up.

Ain't the same, guys. Ain't the same.

Sadly.

Last edited by maxcichon; 11-15-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
The one difference between 180, alaxfire, me and the other old guys and the new, younger crowd getting into these high-tech/performance cars is:

we grew up changing oil, tuning up (cap/rotor/condenser/POINTS), brakes, replacing the odd ball joint/tie rod end, etc. on whatever we had. Our dads were usually involved.

My first foray into supervised auto repair was replacing the clutch on my folks '67 Mustang after I burned it up.

Sadly.
I agree, I remember helping my dad change the clutch on his 1966 Buick Special (base Skylark) when I was 9, I could sit in the tunnel and put everything on the flywheel, and he tightened it up. Most of my work on cars was because it was cheaper and we couldn't/wouldn't pay someone else. I said I'd never set points again, but my Dad has been putzing with an old 70s Beetle, and I may touch those. The only other thing I touch with a carburetor is my 1967 El Camino. I am tempted to ditch everything and buy old 1972 and older cars, comfort and maintenance is unbeatable. Safety/emissions/economy are not up to par, but they don't need to be anywhere near as bad as they were 4 decades ago. I don't think modern cars like the Crossfire will ever be as nostalgic for those reasons.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:38 PM

My first car 32 Ford 3 window coupe bought in 1948 the clutch throw out bearing went out pulled the engine out in the jungle jim sand box with a block and tackle hitch hiked to pep Boys got the bearing hitch a ride back a week later it went out again at that time everything Pep Boys sold was junk.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

You're right but my Dad supervised everything I did and explained everything as I went along. The Xfire is about my 5th total rebuilt car, not to mention assorted cycles. Probably most guys started that way. He always told me to understand what I was about to do, before I did it.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:53 PM

He also told me to make sure that I had the right tool to do the intended job.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:17 AM

I wish I had a father for advice but I grew up in a boys home until I went into the service at 17 years young.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by jayloukakis@hotmail.com
I wish I had a father for advice but I grew up in a boys home until I went into the service at 17 years young.

You have my sympathy. My Dad passed away in 1996 and I still miss him very much. We did everything together, hunting, fishing, playing bball, football, even building my home and of course cars. He was a great Dad and man, he treated everyone he met with the same respect from the president to the garbage men, they were all equal in his eyes. I think that he would really have enjoyed the Crossfire.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Received 505 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon

Sadly.

So true, so true. Don't forget timing lights, and spinning the rotor/cap to time the engine...

Old 11-19-2015, 01:32 PM

on my Slant 6 Dodge vans, setting the timing by removing the doghouse, and driving up a steep hill in 2nd gear, leaning all the way over and turning the distributor until you hear/feel pinging, then back it off. When at the top of the hill, pull over and tighten it down. Then drive home, and hook up the light and record the setting.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:32 PM

How many of you still have a "dwell meter", much less know what it is and how to use it ?

Old 11-19-2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
How many of you still have a "dwell meter", much less know what it is and how to use it ?
I had one, but since my oldest car (the El Camino) has an HEI distributor, I gave it to my dad for the VW Bug he is working on.
Set points by dwell, then set timing. I had a 1973 Yamaha RD350, 2-cylinder 2-stroke. That had 2 separate carburetors and 2 separately adjustable sets of points for dwell and timing. That was fun to tune up, but man, NEVER underestimate ANY 2-Stroke or anything with boost.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased my SRT back in March, my goals will be endless, otherwise I have absolutely no desire for any project performance vehicle. I grew up with really no in my family having any interest in vehicles whatsoever. In fact, during high school I was discouraged to even participate in any automotive shop classes my junior and senior years, suggesting it was a waste of an elective class. Needless to say, I couldn't of disagreed more! I spent read endless blogs retaining information about anything and everything once I started my LX Platform build. This time around, I wanted something that was different, and aspirated. That being said, the SRT6 has been something I've been pondering for several years, and now own one.

I have to say, this forum has one of the best "search" functions to utilize, compared to other automotive forums i belong to. The DIY'S here are absolutely phenomenal, and have great detailed information. Certainly one of the best forums where I've been able to get feedback and parts from other members, almost instantly. Sometimes the hardest part here is deciffering which threads to read under the search function, which sometimes lead me into other "I didn't know that" posts. Am I going to make mistakes? Yup. Am I going to enjoy learning from them? Absolutely!

I was one of the first 200 LX owners, and was among the early pioneers when it came to modern day performance for the pre-eagle 5.7 Hemi. Limited to say the least with power options, until the limited SRT LY Platform was introduced in '08, and production numbers in '09. Then the market exploded! Here, I'm decade or better behind, and this forum has been a wealth of information, regardless of how many repeat threads there are asking or sharing information.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I still do also . . . dwell meter , timing ligth , old type combination in line Volt/Ampmeter ,and all kind of specialized tools not used anymore since decades . I still use them . . . to collect dust ;-)

Born on a diversified production Farm in Aprill 1955 , last one of a Family of 13 with 7 older Brothers ( some of them where performance car owners ) , was introduced to mecanic by them and by my Father also , starting at the age of 7 . Here are a list of my own first toy I had to take care . . . motorcycle in 1971 ( always had one since and still do ) , ski-doo in 1972 ( 1972 to 1975 ) , car since Aprill 1973 .Even before I went to car mecanic school for adult in 1976,I was working in a car repair shop .Was doing tune up on car for myself and others and all sort of mecanic .I came out of car mecanic school second of my class in 1977 and worked in this field ranging to small engine to car ,truck,bulldozer and farm machinery . . . until April 1984 when I went working full time for Torrington Bearing Co.

My only Son , born in 1981 learned mecanic from me , he did is Cegep in Electronic , but always worked in related car mecanic and car electric/electronic He have is own car repair shop since more then a decades . He never went in a car mecanic shool like I did . I am now the one learning from him , on all those new tecknology and modification .But ,when he happen to work on old tecknology . . . he call is reteired Dad right off. A carburator for him is still a mystery of the past .

I am a Crossfire Owner only for 3 Years ,now . . . the ultimate learning is done here ,on this great Forum where knowlege did not reached is limit on this mysterious car ,yet .

Thanks to All of You keeping it alive . . .

Daniel

Quick Reply: Engine mods