All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Tire pressure question

Old 12-11-2015 | 08:21 AM
Default Re: Tire pressure question

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I did say a good dry source of air, 1% vapor is not too bad. As to the oxygen, if we consider tires as having a life span of about 6-7 years due to wear and ozone etc. doing its thing on the outside of the tire we can accept less damage being done inside the tire.
I love the nitrogen sellers glib ads, they might as well be selling snake oil.
Never store your tires in a confined space with an electric motor that uses brushes, that will definitely damage your tires, ozone is being generated every time the motor runs and sparks.
I concur with points made by 180! Especially about having a good source of dry air. Most manufacturing plants will have air dryers installed after compressors to de-humidify the air. Instrument air devices absolutely require this condition and the air dryers will be critical pieces of equipment. But most tire shops probably don't have air dryers installed and, if they do, the dryers probably aren't maintained very well.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-11-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2015 | 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Red Runner

I went out & looked at the sidewalk next to my car & it was stamped 2004. I don't know where I am going to get that much air pressure for my tires.

Just messing with you.
LOL, sometimes the AutoCorrect still needs human intervention.

Old 12-11-2015 | 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
All this dialogue has me wondering. Do the Tire Manufacturers reference the maximum air pressure as 50 psig or 50 psia? I'm betting they aren't referencing psia (absolute) which is 14.7 greater than the psig (gauge) figure. Probably related to the general public not being knowledgeable of the difference.

Might actually be an issue for me related to an over-engineering viewpoint.

Later,
If we are using a gauge I hope it's by gauge otherwise we would all have to do the math.

I like to dumb things down to make the gauge say what it is supposed to be.

Old 12-11-2015 | 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Red Runner

I went out & looked at the sidewalk next to my car & it was stamped 2004. I don't know where I am going to get that much air pressure for my tires.

Just messing with you.
I looked at the sidewalk by my car and it was not stamped just painted "NO PARKING".
The only pressure was my blood pressure, a ticket for a $35 fine.