All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

storing car for winter

Old 10-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: storing car for winter

OMG 7.50 a gal ??? I would quit driving !!! No really I would ! I thought when our premium hit 4.00 that was to much ! Now back to 3.60 not to bad !

Old 10-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

$3.50 !!!!!!
OMG, I just paid $2.49 here for 93 ......

Old 10-30-2015, 12:14 PM

Yes our regular was down to 2.08 but not for long it's back to 2.29 but nobody gets a break on premium here in good ole Indiana !!! ��

Old 10-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Received 433 Likes on 381 Posts

Just curious, why would you have to store you Crossfire in California?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Isn't our biggest problem with gasoline today the Ethanol(more Hygroscopic, increased corrosion)? Sta-Bil use to be the go-to treatment for storage, but according to my trusted source, the better product to use is StarTron Enzyme Fuel Treatment (I have no affiliation what so ever with this product). My source is a trusted mechanic who also works on small engine equipment as well. He has used the test strips(before and after) and unlike Sta-Bil, claims it actually knocks down the Ethanol. All the other claimed benefits of the product are essentially the same(reduced gum/varnish,extends gasoline life,stabilizer,etc.) Also, if available in your area(and you can afford it; $7.50 a gal. for me here in CA.), Ethanol free 93 gasoline would be the best to run through the car and store it with. I look forward to any and all feedback about this.

I agree with Dinasrt. Even though I've never done this in the past. But after using Sta-Bil in my new zero turn Cub Cadet last winter, and having to wind up paying over $400, to get it running this spring, (supposedly because of damage caused by water in the gas that had ethanol in it). I'm using only Ethanol free 93 octane in it for storage this year. I can purchase it locally for less than $4.00 per gallon.
So I'm running my tank in the Crossfire as low as I dare, and then fill it up with the good stuff while I store it this winter. Probably add Sta-Bil or try and find that Star Tron.
I'll be disconnecting the battery, might even bring it into the house to keep it charged up.
I'm plugging up the tail pipes, and the CAI hoses to keep the critters out. Gonna to disperse Fabric softener sheets under the hood to deter critters.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:45 PM

I always put some mouse poison trays under the car by the wheels just in case they get in & are hungry!!! I store 3 cars & 2 bikes & never have had a problem so far !

Old 10-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Isn't our biggest problem with gasoline today the Ethanol(more Hygroscopic, increased corrosion)? Sta-Bil use to be the go-to treatment for storage, but according to my trusted source, the better product to use is StarTron Enzyme Fuel Treatment (I have no affiliation what so ever with this product). My source is a trusted mechanic who also works on small engine equipment as well. He has used the test strips(before and after) and unlike Sta-Bil, claims it actually knocks down the Ethanol. All the other claimed benefits of the product are essentially the same(reduced gum/varnish,extends gasoline life,stabilizer,etc.) Also, if available in your area(and you can afford it; $7.50 a gal. for me here in CA.), Ethanol free 93 gasoline would be the best to run through the car and store it with. I look forward to any and all feedback about this.
StarTron is what I used in the boat for many years. Don't know about your claims but it did work for me and other boat owners.
Bill T.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
OMG 7.50 a gal ??? I would quit driving !!! No really I would ! I thought when our premium hit 4.00 that was to much ! Now back to 3.60 not to bad !
Apparently you missed the part about "Ethanol Free" 93 gas is $7.50, not E-5 or E-10 premium unleaded; We're well under $4.00 for that now.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I'm using only Ethanol free 93 octane in it for storage this year. I can purchase it locally for less than $4.00 per gallon.
Wow, lucky you my friend! Less than $4.00 per gallon for Ethanol free; I'd be running it full time in our 6 if I could get it for that! Perhaps even the Ethanol free will eventually be outlawed, who knows?.... And you're right; the small engine mechanics are having a field day/bonanza with the fuel drains/flushes,carb. clean/ rebuilds, R.&R. fuel lines, etc. due to the Ethanol in the gas these days. Are the newer vehicles built with Ethanol proof o-rings, coated parts, fittings,etc. to combat this problem? Anodized parts alone don't seem an adequate solution.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:47 AM

Yes all small engines best to just run them out of gas ! I don't this on lawn tractor lawn mowers & snow blowers all the time ! It's strange how long they run when your waiting for them to runout & quit !

Old 10-31-2015, 04:42 PM

Yes all small engines best to just run them out of gas ! I don't this on lawn tractor lawn mowers & snow blowers all the time ! It's strange how long they run when your waiting for them to runout & quit !
Yes, agreed. But running it out of Ethanol free gas is way better. A small amount of gas & moisture is left in the float bowl and throughout the fuel system. Like +fireamx, I've learned this the hard way also.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 623 Likes on 493 Posts

Filled up the 2007 Coupe yesterday so tank would be full during winter. Don't really store the car, but driving is extremely limited during winter season. Unleaded premium cost me $1.739 a gallon. Normal price was $2.089 a gallon. But there is an ongoing promotion around here with local grocery store chain where $0.05 per gallon discount is earned for every $50 spent in store. Had a $0.35 credit accumulated & used it on the XFire. (Note: You are limited to a 20 gallon max puchase.) One does have to use a participating gas station. One chain is a local discount firm (SPINX), but the other one is Shell.

Later,

Old 10-31-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 623 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
But after using Sta-Bil in my new zero turn Cub Cadet last winter, and having to wind up paying over $400, to get it running this spring...
I used Sta-Bil a few years back in a Honda Shadow 600 I had for running around town. Practically had to rebuild the entire fuel system in the spring to get it running. Proof enough for me. Never again!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Forum Regular

I filled my other two toys that I store for the winter last week, Full tank of gas, Sta-Bil and disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Been doing this with the one car for 30 years with no problems. In addition I usually stuff a ball of aluminum foil in each tail pipe to keep rodents out. I also place 4 or 5 dryer sheets inside the cars, I read that years ago as another rodent deterrent. No idea as to it's effectiveness but knock on wood I have never had any problem with rodents, so I continue to do it. Even though I do this, if the roads are dry and clear of salt and sand I will get them out a couple times a winter and take them for a 10 or 15 mile drive.

This will be my third winter with the Crossfire and the past two I have done nothing but add some Sta-Bil. So far I been able to drive it pretty often when the roads are in good shape. The longest stretch so far of not being able to drive has been 3 weeks. I do have a battery tender plugged into a surge protector just in case but I have never had to use it.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:04 PM

I utilize my Race Ramps to avoid flat spots, or consider raising the PSI. Like mentioned, I too use the Battery Tender. For the last eight years I've used a product from from BND Automotive called ACES IV, with my modified LX, and now with the XF. This product has many beneficial performance factors, but more importantly a great fuel stabilizer. Definitely not a cheaper product, but I've used this with all my vehicles for almost a decade, and never looked back.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 638 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by xjken
If the roads are dry and clear of salt and sand I will get them out a couple times a winter and take them for a 10 or 15 mile drive.
This will be my third winter with the Crossfire and the past two I have done nothing but add some Sta-Bil.
So far I been able to drive it pretty often when the roads are in good shape.
The longest stretch so far of not being able to drive has been 3 weeks.
Pretty much the same story for me and I have had mine for 7 winters near Chicago
Sta-bil in the tank.
Battery Tender hooked up with surge protection.
I got a nice stretch of open toll-road 1 mile from the house.
Head west 24 miles exit and return 24 miles.
Makes a nice 50 mile round trip with no traffic on clean roads.
Back into the heated garage and an hour later a little detail spray and its ready for the next chance to go out.
Longest stretch ever not driven during the winter was 4 weeks.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I always put some mouse poison trays under the car by the wheels just in case they get in & are hungry!!! I store 3 cars & 2 bikes & never have had a problem so far !
Ed,
I bought a case of 12 mouse bait stations and a bucket of baits from a company in Georgia. When talking with the girl there she suggested placing a bait station on top of the wheels. Kinda makes sense to me. How else are the little guys going to make it into the engine compartment. I don't think they can fly. JUST IN CASE.
Billto

Old 11-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I don't put anything in the tank. My Crossfire will be driven most of the winter, and on my 1967 El Camino we have never used anything and have had no problems. It has original tank, and Engine and Carb were installed in 1997. Carb was cleaned out once after about 13 years of use. Fuel nowadays is much cleaner and has so many additives, I don't think it is as important as it used to. I do try to keep the tank as full as possible, to eliminate as much of condensation as possible on the bare steel.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 638 Likes on 436 Posts

Another option other than storage.....
Winter tires and the 4X4 kit

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crossfire_4x4.jpg (172.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 11-09-2015, 01:42 AM
Received 505 Likes on 431 Posts