All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

who's done this? ELECTRICIANS ASSEMBLE!!!

Old 06-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default who's done this? ELECTRICIANS ASSEMBLE!!!

I am by NO MEANS a professional electrician. I just know the basics- a hot/a gound. I was still up for the challenge in hopes to be a pioneer for someone that might want to do the same thing. But after troubleshooting for 7 straight hours, this is my official cry for help haha. Since i painted my rear blinker lenses red to match the rear running lights, i wanted to have my blinkers come on as a constant light when i turn my lights on to have quad tail lights. but then still function as a blinker like normal when used. Today was my first time i ever experimented with rectifier diodes. I used 5amp 60v diodes assuming that they are sharing load. I put 2 pics below of methods ive tried (although ive tried about 10+ different ways). The farthest ive gotten so far is:

-i turn lights on and both rear lights come on as planned. But turn signal indicator on dash is on solid. And when i use turn signal the rear doesnt blink but the front blinks rapidly...

-when i use turn signal while lights are off, the blinker AND running light blink together...

-blinker and running light both light up together as planned. Indicator on dash working normally but ONLY headlight blinker works...

Out of all the different connections ive tried, i always get 1 of those 3 scenarios. I guess basically in a nutshell, when (both) lights are on it overpowers rear blinker, but when both lights are switched off both lights blink together when turn signal is used. Somehow the blinker is defying the rules a diode (in my case)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150609_094552.jpg (1.63 MB, 29 views)
20150609_135503.jpg (1.86 MB, 27 views)
Old 06-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Default Re: whos done this? ELECTRICIANS ASSEMBLE!!!

Do i need to add a resistor nefore each diode?

Old 06-09-2015, 08:45 PM

Finally came up with the winning recipe for my goal!! After closer look at the bulb sockets, i realized i would never achieve my goal with the factory blinker socket. It was only a 2 wire socket with a single brightness bulb. It got late in the day so parts depts were closed at stealerships so i ventured to good ol' Pep Boys and found a "Universal 3 wire Import Socket". I also determined that i needed a dual beightness bulb to allow the dual function. I basically just bought the same bulbs used for the running/brake lights. Exactly what was needed. I connected a 5amp/60v rectifier diode to the hot wire goin to the running lights and the low light of the new bulb and socket. I spliced into the orange wire coming from the factory wire harmess connector and connected that to the other size of the new bulb and socket for the blinker function. Lastly, i spliced into the factory ground. Still have to finalize all my connections to be more permanent and secure, they are still in 'mock up' mode. Im undecided what to do about the factory blinker socket. My original goal was to go to the stealership and buy two brake light sockets and splice those in to replace the orange socket for a more factory look, but who the hell is gonna see it (besides everyone right now haha) but if this $6 Universal Import Socket holds up fine then so be. I may just do some high class modification and put a sandwhich bag over it and close it with some zip tie engineering.

Attached Images
20150609_203632.jpg (1.78 MB, 23 views)
20150609_203642.jpg (1.55 MB, 24 views)
20150609_203737.jpg (1.72 MB, 29 views)
20150609_203803.jpg (1.79 MB, 27 views)
Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 PM

For those that wanna see how they operate.... Watch "Crossfire SRT6 quad tail light and blinkers" on YouTube

Old 06-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Excellent !
I was looking at this yesterday and sketched out a circuit using 2 relays that would have worked, then came to the same conclusion as you : a dual filament bulb would be much simpler.
I didn't reply as work intruded at that point and I forgot about it until seeing your post this morning.

Question : why are you still using the diode with the dual filament setup ?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:18 AM

Im sure u are aware of the function of a rectifier diode, but just incase others dont. The diode only allows the electrical current to flow in one direction. With that said, the turn signal required a hot source from the brake light, however, i didnt want to turn signal to interfere the with the brake light when the signal was activated. Without the diode in there it didnt function correctly.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by rmcdaniel12
Im sure u are aware of the function of a rectifier diode, but just incase others dont. The diode only allows the electrical current to flow in one direction. With that said, the turn signal required a hot source from the brake light, however, i didnt want to turn signal to interfere the with the brake light when the signal was activated. Without the diode in there it didnt function correctly.

I'm with George on this, or I am missing something in the 'what I want it to do' area?

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Excellent !
I was looking at this yesterday and sketched out a circuit using 2 relays that would have worked, then came to the same conclusion as you : a dual filament bulb would be much simpler.
I didn't reply as work intruded at that point and I forgot about it until seeing your post this morning.

Question : why are you still using the diode with the dual filament setup ?

I had the same question (and still do). It seemed to me, he wanted both lights to light as 'running lights', and the inner to be a brake light and outer to be a turn signal light. With this as the case (if I am understanding it correctly ie what the desired result is) then I think two twin bulb sockets, the running lamps in parallel, and the brake light wire set to the inner bulbs with the turn signal wire set to the outer sockets. Of course the low running lamp intensity is the parallel, the higher (brightness) involves the inner one (socket) for the brake, and the outer (turn signal) for the outer socket hi filament. In this scenario, no diodes are needed as the car system is intact except for the added low filament in the second socket? Or is the desired result supposed to be different?

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 06-10-2015 at 03:56 PM.