All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

last night I finally got the new tires on the coupe. I think I bought the last set of Goodyear F1 GS D3's in existence. Went smaller in the front, larger in the rear...only because that is all I could find. I have had good luck with them on the roadster, so we matched up the coupe with a set. The rake should be fine for the 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile runs...probably wouldn't work for solo events. But that is what the roadster is for now. Haven't scuffed them in yet....will have to do that on the 3 hr drive up to the 1/2 mile event....

Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lildaddym
Sir, this is EXACTLY what I was talking about. I believe I'm capable of getting stuff installed correctly...I can't do the paint, and that's where my concern is. I was wondering if I should have the parts painted first, but that doesn't make sense...has to be blended...
Okay.. putting myself in your situation.. and believe me everyone will have an opinion here. I'd source my parts and completely assembly them to check and make sure everything was lined up to my satisfaction. At that point I'd pull the bumper cover back off along with the grill and take it to them for paint. I'm taking it just the hood and cover need painted, so they would mask off the hood and shoot it along with the cover, which would get proper color on all sides and mating surfaces. By this point it shouldn't take you 20 minutes to get your bumper cover carefully mounted back at home.

Not trying to tell you "should..best approach or otherwise".. Just the way I would play out my hand on this.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Okay.. putting myself in your situation.. and believe me everyone will have an opinion here. I'd source my parts and completely assembly them to check and make sure everything was lined up to my satisfaction. At that point I'd pull the bumper cover back off along with the grill and take it to them for paint. I'm taking it just the hood and cover need painted, so they would mask off the hood and shoot it along with the cover, which would get proper color on all sides and mating surfaces. By this point it shouldn't take you 20 minutes to get your bumper cover carefully mounted back at home.

Not trying to tell you "should..best approach or otherwise".. Just the way I would play out my hand on this.
The hood and bumper cover need the paint, that is true. What about blending the hood and bumper cover with the fenders, etc.?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM

The hood and bumper cover need the paint, that is true. What about blending the hood and bumper cover with the fenders, etc.?
No blending required if they are good and hit the color match.. "stand alone" panels is all they would/should have to worry about..
Just like with my bumper cover (Tahoe).. you have to look long and hard to see the slightest of difference in shade from the body.. and I can't swear being a poly bumper it matched any better from the factory..

Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 PM

I do have one other issue that one guy mentioned that he would fix...car dealer had driver's side door and fender repainted, but the clearcoat is now milky...

Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 PM

@MrMiata...I meant to mention that I have an upper radiator mount to have painted, too...

Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 PM

You just keep adding to the list.. glad I'm not quoting you a paint job.. LOL.
Okay the bottom line question really.. are they willing to cut you a check and let you deal with it or are you just saving them money? If the later.. off to the body shop. Otherwise get a quote for the paint work needed and go from there, since you know what your parts are going to run you.. I'm fairly sure the body shop can come back at the insurance for anything they may have missed.. dunno that you'd have that option.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
You just keep adding to the list.. glad I'm not quoting you a paint job.. LOL.
Okay the bottom line question really.. are they willing to cut you a check and let you deal with it or are you just saving them money? If the later.. off to the body shop. Otherwise get a quote for the paint work needed and go from there, since you know what your parts are going to run you.. I'm fairly sure the body shop can come back at the insurance for anything they may have missed.. dunno that you'd have that option.
LOL! Yeah, I know...the insurance is willing to cut me a check and let me go with it. Can the body shop get with the insurance even if they cut me a check?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 PM

LOL! Yeah, I know...the insurance is willing to cut me a check and let me go with it. Can the body shop get with the insurance even if they cut me a check?
That one I can't answer with a for sure answer .. I'd have to swing towards a "nope" myself since the "contract" between you and them has been completed .. and it's now a contract between you and the paint shop.

Do let me go here though.. "if" you have any doubts.. and I'm thinking you do.. take her to the shop.. then when they say "we're done".. you have the option of "no your not".. and the insurance company to stand behind you.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 PM

ONCE you accept the check, it is a done deal, pocket it drive it wrecked or pay someone to fix it. It's all you then...their contract is complete. The rub is, if you open it up, and find more damage, then tough luck, you accepted the check. That's why it is better to let the body shop deal with the insurance company....

Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 PM

@oledoc...thanks for the advice! I am 99.998 percent sure there is no other damage besides the cosmetics...

Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 PM

If you only have cosmetic damage, then, I would agree you could find all the parts, fit them, take them back off, and have someone paint them. Re-install them... Just make sure you settle for enough $$$$ to make it all happen...

Old 05-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the last time I will post in this thread, I am doing it simply to try and help a fellow member, not start a pissing match.

the thought that someone can paint single panels of the metallic color (with several variants) nearly 10 years old with 100K+ miles on it and match it on large panels like the hood is just wishful thinking, if you care about your car looking good.

I have painted, in graphite, my grille, side strakes, a windshield surround, a custom rear spoiler, an engine cover, my wiper arms, and a few other random pieces over 5 different sessions, so I would say I am fairly familiar with the paint you will be working with. We used sun guns, paint coding systems, plus 2 painters with 50+ years experience between them in high end cars and custom painting, there are still a few of the items on my car that when I look just right in the sun, I can tell the color is off. If that is not a big deal to you or saving money is important, I understand, I am simply trying to arm you with all the information I have.

If it were black, we would not be having this portion of the conversation, but you have nice paint

Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire

If it were black, we would not be having this portion of the conversation, but you have nice paint

Hell, under the halogens you can spot differences in color on factory panels, let alone matching up decade old paint. Matching the "grain" of metal flake? -Forget that; I'll plasti-dip the whole damn car.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well in 92° weather n 62% humidity I decided to wash.clean wheels detail interior n do a quick wax on the car..2 hrs later looks awesome...
Next up during the week clay bar detail

Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today?....Well...I just went in the garage, pulled the cover off and sat in it for 30secs. Mhm, i'm a dweeb, and ya it's still raining Now a few days ago, I took a few hours to polish, wax and detail the car. Then I sat in it.....again.

Hey! long range forecast says it stops raining in about 5 days....things are lookin up!!

2004 SSB 6spd Coupe. Annnnd!...its kinda sparkly now

Old 05-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I striped my manis and painted them wrinkle red and sanded down the lettering. I'll install the passenger side mani in the morning.

IMG_20130531_181432_382_zps7166b948.jpg

Last edited by grip grip; 05-31-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:32 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by grip grip
I striped my manis and painted them wrinkle red and sanded down the lettering. I'll install the passenger side mani in the morning.

Looks nice !
Hint: you do know that plastic oil filler extender comes off and the cap goes right back on, right ?
Just looks better to me that way, but it's no big deal.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Forum Regular

My son ordered me a set of seat covers from Amazon in the middle of May as a birthday present and they finally arrived yesterday. Nothing fancy, just something to protect the seats from uv rays and myself. I detailed a car for my wife's boss on Thursday so I am off to Crossfireaccessoriesandmore.com to order a set of eyebrows.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:22 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Replaced my failing IC pump with my spare Bosch unit and installed the new SL55 Fuel Pump. Waiting on a retune from Eurocharged then the 62mm SC pulley will get installed.

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 06-02-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?