All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 11-18-2021, 03:31 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

S D Crossfire,
Which kit did you use? Sounds like this is just what I need.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:34 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Crossfire
I just turned off my TPMS light and now use a much better aftermarket TPMS that has very accurate sensors mounted on the valve stems as a cap replacement. The head unit is small and solar powered, shows not only the current pressure in each tire, but the temps as well. You can also set alarm/warning for both pressures and temps to whatever level you want.

The whole kit cost $50 and took 3 minutes to install and gives so much better information than the factory TPMS.
Originally Posted by exparamedic
S D Crossfire,
I've been using the aftermarket external TPMS for several years without any problems or failures. I just like to see real-time numbers such as tire pressure...rather than just wait for a failure alarm to go off. But these kits have failure alarms built-in, too, to alert you if you don't look at the numbers as often as I do....
The batteries in the cap-sensors last at least a year. I replaced the cap-sensor batteries in the first kit I bought after a year had elapsed even though they were all still working.
As far a stealing the cap-sensors, my Crossfire is always garaged and I'm rarely parking it anywhere for any substantial amount of time. Plus, I'm not sure that the sensor-caps are universal. So, there's no reason to steal them.
As far as state inspections go, here in Texas, I've never been asked about it and a working TPMS is not required here. The black plastic tape over the TPMS light is virtually invisible on my black dashboard cluster. It seems like an external TPMS that works would satisfy a vehicle inspector in a state where TPMS is required. But, I'm probably wrong about that.
Also, I have never had a tire-balance issue with these cap sensors. A year ago, when I got new tires, I had all of the original TPMS sensors removed from inside each wheel before balancing.
I just weighed the cap-sensors and the original TPMS internal sensors.
Cap-sensor = 10.4 grams (0.37 ounces)
Original TPMS sensor = 35.2 grams (1.24 ounces)
Aluminum valve cap that screws over a regular valve = 0.6 grams (0.02 ounces)

Here's the last one I bought. I replaced the first one for no reason except I wanted a new one. I've had this one on the Crossfire for the last 6 months. Works great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S7CP3PB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S7CP3PB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 11-18-2021, 05:13 PM

Hello Keith, Thanks for all the information and especially the link for the part.
Car is away for the winter but will have this on it when it comes out of hibernation.
Where do you think is the best place to locate the display in the car?
Jim

Old 11-18-2021, 08:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello Keith, Thanks for all the information and especially the link for the part.
Car is away for the winter but will have this on it when it comes out of hibernation.
Where do you think is the best place to locate the display in the car?
Jim
Here's a photo of the first one I had for a couple of years. It sits pretty nicely on a non-slip pad in the corner near the driver-side A-pillar. It has never slipped off the pad. I've got my new one in the same spot.
The first one that I bought I had to recharge with a USB cable about once every couple of months since the car is in the garage most of the time and the solar panel doesn't have time to keep it charged. The second one that I bought seems to have a better internal battery. I don't recall charging it yet and I've had it for six months or so. Both of the units that I've had paired up automatically with each sensor and never lost their connections. And I've never had one of the sensor-caps leak air. Each one has an O-ring to help seal it. When you unscrew a sensor-cap to add air, the control unit will start beeping...but it reconnects automatically after you screw the sensor back onto the valve.

It's interesting to see how the tires heat up on a hot Texas day! You can watch the tire temperatures and pressure go up!

Old 11-18-2021, 10:34 PM

Thanks again for some great information and photo.
Like yours, mine is in our garage most of the time where the sun does not shine,.
Initially I thought, great......solar power. But not in garage.
Overlooked that obvious little thing so I appreciate you mentioning about charging the battery sometime.
Jim

Old 11-28-2021, 11:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed this cup holder which I found on the Facebook Chrysler Crossfire Forum. Pretty good solution to a common problem.

The following 3 users liked this post by Duke11:
Franc Rauscher (12-07-2021), SD Crossfire (11-28-2021), WD40 (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 11:43 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Yeah, I saw a post with that a while ago, they look like a great system and like you said, only @ 50 bucks. I wonder if those states with vehicle inspections would accept them? Giving the exact pressure (checked every once in a while with a tire gauge, for accuracy) would be great for someone like me but I still would use ole reliable! LOL

I also saw someone post that said something like 'the sensors on his system were stolen' (even though have a locking nut system to stop that).

That's a good question, I live in California which means no annual safety inspections, we do have a smog test every 2 years, but it's a simple OBDII plug-in that takes about 5-7 minutes, but they don't care about TPMS lights.

Can you just turn off the light? I used the DIY found on this forum and turned mine off. If you have a simple wrench, you can easily remove the locking nut and steel a sensor, they are so cheap, wonder why someone would do that especially since the need a base unit that can communicate with them.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:45 AM

S D Crossfire,
Sorry man, just saw your question.

Here is the kit I used, absolutely love it, no issues and it works great, price has increased though to $68, but if you look around, they have a lot of different units that are in the same price range or lower.

Linkd to Kit:
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-28-2021, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Duke11
Installed this cup holder which I found on the Facebook Chrysler Crossfire Forum. Pretty good solution to a common problem.

Very awesome, did you happen to have that link to that Facebook page?

Old 11-28-2021, 11:59 AM

Thanks again S D Crossfire. When you added the aftermarket tire sensors, was it necessary to rebalance the wheels?
Jim

Old 11-28-2021, 12:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the Cupholder - not sure about a specific link. It is in the Facebook Chrysler Crossfire Forum. November 20th posting. I am not comfortable providing someone else's contact information. It is pretty easy to find.

Last edited by Duke11; 11-28-2021 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-28-2021, 12:32 PM

No, my tires stayed balanced even up to 80 mph on another vehicle. That being said, I have the lifetime rotate & balance with my Discount Tire plan, and during a rotation I had them balance them with the sensors in place just in case.

When I got new tires for my Crossfire recently, I bought another sensor kit for it and I made sure to have them balance the tires with the sensors in place.

If you get them, I would just try them out without a balance first. Everyone I know who installed their sensors without a balanced ended up fine.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Duke11
Regarding the Cupholder - not sure about a specific link. It is in the Facebook Chrysler Crossfire Forum. November 20th posting. I am not comfortable providing someone else's contact information. It is pretty easy to find.
Oh no worries, I'll find it, thank you!

Old 11-28-2021, 02:13 PM

S D, thanks again for the sensor info.

Jim

Old 11-28-2021, 02:36 PM

Absolutely, let me know if you have any questions about it in the future, I know that unit inside an out, though most brands of that type are very similar in performance and setup.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:45 PM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

After 2 unsuccessful battery chargings, I went & bought a new battery for the 2007 Coupe today. The old battery was installed 5+ years ago. Typically don't get more than 5-6 years out of a battery in the XFire. Purchased a Super Start Extreme from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:20 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Crossfire
That's a good question, I live in California which means no annual safety inspections, we do have a smog test every 2 years, but it's a simple OBDII plug-in that takes about 5-7 minutes, but they don't care about TPMS lights.

Can you just turn off the light? I used the DIY found on this forum and turned mine off. If you have a simple wrench, you can easily remove the locking nut and steel a sensor, they are so cheap, wonder why someone would do that especially since the need a base unit that can communicate with them.

I bypassed my TPMS a loooooong time ago when I bought the Continental Barum Bravuris 3HM's (in my sig line). I would never spend all that $ on that old system (plus I am a stickler for using the tire gauge). I would use that one mentioned here as a novelty as it shows the actual pressure per tire but would 'cross-check' it with a tire gauge occasionally.

There is no sense given to those who would take a sensor or break one, nowadays... The meanness of of ppl has been getting worse as time goes on (until ppl are so tired of it it'll get cracked down on those caught)..

The following users liked this post:
SD Crossfire (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 07:55 PM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I bypassed my TPMS a loooooong time ago when I bought the Continental Barum Bravuris 3HM's (in my sig line). I would never spend all that $ on that old system (plus I am a stickler for using the tire gauge). I would use that one mentioned here as a novelty as it shows the actual pressure per tire but would 'cross-check' it with a tire gauge occasionally.

There is no sense given to those who would take a sensor or break one, nowadays... The meanness of of ppl has been getting worse as time goes on (until ppl are so tired of it it'll get cracked down on those caught)..

Last time I checked the wheel sensors with my scanner tool, the pressures measured by the wheel sensors were lower than those read with my tire gauges.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-10-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't do anything per se, but did take it to Florida to see my sister in Venice. Was quite pleased with the ride and not pleased at all with the seats - they have to go. My back has still not forgiven me...

I was very surprised while driving around Venice to see two Crossfire's within 15 minutes of each other - a black coupe and a silver blue convertible.

Erich

Old 11-28-2021, 11:58 PM
Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

have u tried this one ?????
https://dealsmartshop.com/products/j...caAifdEALw_wcB

or this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...:%223339%22%7D

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?