All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 07-26-2020, 03:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Prep 4 special edition rims for 2K clear coating. Fixed the famous rusty spot under the passenger side door. The driver's side will be next.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

I installed a new (hydraulic) hood lift strut as the old one had taken to puking its oily guts out and refusing to assist me in the slightest. It's extremely easy to replace and the only concern, when you decide not to pay dealer prices is, "Am I getting the correct one?" Compare the strut body of the OE one to the same location on the aftermarket strut. It's 100% evident they have merely mechanically removed the Mercedes brand stamping in the same way the Egyptians removed Ramses' name from their stone monuments. "There. Now no one will ever remember who we made this unnamed statue for!" Strangely, my unmarked aftermarket strut works EXACTLY like the original Mercedes one used to! Anyway, I'll put the Amazon link but I later found it for a few dollars less at Pelican Parts, although they might charge shipping. If so then Amazon is still the least expensive.
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-26-2020, 05:32 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by WD40
I installed a new (hydraulic) my unmarked aftermarket strut works EXACTLY like the original Mercedes one used to! Anyway,
I'll put the Amazon link but I later found it for a few dollars less at Pelican Parts, although they might charge shipping.
If so then Amazon is still the least expensive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_o08_s00
Oddly the Amazon link you posted and the one I just used are different >>
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-26-2020, 06:58 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

I installed a new (hydraulic) hood lift strut as the old one had taken to puking its oily guts out and refusing to assist me in the slightest. It's extremely easy to replace and the only concern, when you decide not to pay dealer prices is, "Am I getting the correct one?" Compare the strut body of the OE one to the same location on the aftermarket strut. It's 100% evident they have merely mechanically removed the Mercedes brand stamping in the same way the Egyptians removed Ramses' name from their stone monuments. "There. Now no one will ever remember who we made this unnamed statue for!" Strangely, my unmarked aftermarket strut works EXACTLY like the original Mercedes one used to! Anyway, I'll put the Amazon link but I later found it for a few dollars less at Pelican Parts, although they might charge shipping. If so then Amazon is still the least expensive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_o08_s00

The aftermarket does not necessarily mean cheap, Stabilus is a major supplier to the auto industry.
The plastic is not marked because it is direct from the maker and not specifically made for Mercedes. Mercedes demands that where possible their spares are marked, 'Mercedes, the Mercedes logo and the Mercedes part number.
If this maker was to sell parts marked Mercedes there would be a court case to settle.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:16 PM
Forum Regular

The Chrysler dealer wanted $303.00 for this strut. I wonder if it says "Chrysler" on it? If so it's money well spent!

The following users liked this post:
onehundred80 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 07:41 PM

The Chrysler dealer wanted $303.00 for this strut. I wonder if it says "Chrysler" on it? If so it's money well spent!
Funny man/woman, or should that be person. I try to be PC. 😀

Old 07-27-2020, 01:08 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Valk
Oddly the Amazon link you posted and the one I just used are different >>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Let us know if you end up receiving STABILUS SG103002. Like I said, the only way it could be more 'right' is if it said "MERCEDES BENZ" on it.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:35 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

…… then Amazon is still the least expensive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_o08_s00
Originally Posted by Valk
Oddly the Amazon link you posted and the one I just used are different >>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gary, the sellers are different. One is from 'Amazon' which has certain rules for returns and such, the other is a vendor on Amazon. Don't ask me to tell you the differences but when it says anything else but 'Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.' (under the buy buttons), then it is a vendor on Amazon (as in; Ships from and sold by
Lift Supports Depot Lift Supports Depot
. ).

Old 07-27-2020, 02:57 PM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

I installed a new (hydraulic) hood lift strut as the old one had taken to puking its oily guts out and refusing to assist me in the slightest. It's extremely easy to replace and the only concern, when you decide not to pay dealer prices is, "Am I getting the correct one?" Compare the strut body of the OE one to the same location on the aftermarket strut. It's 100% evident they have merely mechanically removed the Mercedes brand stamping in the same way the Egyptians removed Ramses' name from their stone monuments. "There. Now no one will ever remember who we made this unnamed statue for!" Strangely, my unmarked aftermarket strut works EXACTLY like the original Mercedes one used to! Anyway, I'll put the Amazon link but I later found it for a few dollars less at Pelican Parts, although they might charge shipping. If so then Amazon is still the least expensive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_o08_s00

Strange, the lift support from Sachs (Stabilus) shows on Amazon that it DOES NOT fit my 2007 XFire Coupe. Was there a design change on the hood support somewhere during the series? Possible Amazon doesn't recognize this strut support as being an exact replacement for M-B OEM part.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 07-27-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:16 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Strange, the lift support from Sachs (Stabilus) shows on Amazon that it DOES NOT fit my 2007 XFire Coupe. Was there a design change on the hood support somewhere during the series? Possible Amazon doesn't recognize this strut support as being an exact replacement for M-B OEM part.
It told me that too (that it didn't fit the Crossfire). But I read all the reviews and EVERYONE said it was the perfect fit for their Crossfire. Both the compressed and the extended lengths are exactly the same as OE and the same as the strut Valk purchased as well. In fact the one I bought has gone up in price by several dollars compared to when I paid for it, and it costing less was ONE OF the factors I took into consideration. The fact is though, it is the right strut for the Crossfire. I think because it is listed by the vendor as being a SACHS product is the reason it says it won't fit. But another reviewer also pointed out it was made by STABILUS. If I were a betting man I'd put money on Valk receiving a STABILUS SG103002 just like I did.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

Curious whether the strut from StrongArm (P/N 6188) has the capability to extend like the OEM version. Typically can find it on the various parts sites for < $15!

Old 07-27-2020, 03:58 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Curious whether the strut from StrongArm (P/N 6188) has the capability to extend like the OEM version. Typically can find it on the various parts sites for < $15!
The outer plastic sleeve that says 'MERCEDES BENZ' on the OE strut can be removed from the original strut and placed on the new high-pressure-hydraulic portion of strut you purchased online. It's just an outer plastic sleeve. I thought about it, but I'd have to clean all the leaked-fluid out of it first and I just wanted a working strut, mainly. But I kept the original plastic "Mercedes" sleeve just in case I change my mind one day!

If you look closely at the StrongArm (P/N 6188) strut you can see it is NOT THE SAME PHYSICALLY as the original and should thus be avoided. I like my "service-position" hood! If you read the reviews, some people simply returned the StrongArm (P/N 6188) but at least one guy modified it to work... but it was a pain in the *** for him. It's a solution only for a very, very, VERY cheap man.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:22 PM

As far as I recall people just purchased the cylinder and replaced the one in the OEM sleeve and everything was as before.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:56 PM
Received 430 Likes on 378 Posts

I don't remember but that is what I did and it was half the price. Works the same. The part number is on the forum somewhere.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
I don't remember but that is what I did and it was half the price. Works the same. The part number is on the forum somewhere.
the last post on this thread shows the #

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ferrerid=18454

Old 07-27-2020, 08:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

SG103002 is the correct model for the hood. I bought one on eBay a few months ago. The databases are not always correct for the Crossfire. The difference is that Lift Support Depot is saying it is specifically for the Crossfire. Most parts on Amazon tell me that they are not compatible with the Crossfire even though a lot of the time they actually are.

The OEM sleeve is compatible with the Koolman brand which does not come with the sleeve and even needs the end to be removed and screwed on to it (from OEM).

StrongArm is not a good brand, the support will be chrome color. The ones they had for the hatch were awful and would make the hatch shake like an earthquake, no dampening effect like the OEM.

I bought a new OEM power steering reservoir aftermarket and the Mercedes part number was scratched off. My new hood lift support had nothing scratched off but was identical to the Mercedes one.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I want to do this to a set of wheels I have. The local body shop won't paint wheels, but recommended 2K clear to do myself. Can you explain the process? Thanks, James

Originally Posted by monaderio
Prep 4 special edition rims for 2K clear coating.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
I want to do this to a set of wheels I have. The local body shop won't paint wheels, but recommended 2K clear to do myself. Can you explain the process? Thanks, James
The process is simple. Clean and polish your rims then apply 2-4 coats of that stuff
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W2D806Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W2D806Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
In my case, I had to remove the old clear coat manually because the wheels have the two-tone painting and I was unable to use a paint stripper which could destroy the areas I don't want to paint.

Last edited by monaderio; 07-27-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:17 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

I'd put money on Valk receiving a STABILUS SG103002 just like I did.
I let you all know by the end of the week

Old 07-29-2020, 12:56 AM
Forum Regular

Hood-strut options for the cheap-*** MF'er:
1) $9.13
Amazon Amazon
2) $29.24
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BC0T6/ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BC0T6/

Perhaps you own 10 old hoop-ties and all 10 need new struts. Here's your tools then! 🤣 Both 5-star rated!
Remember the old "creeky-spring" design on American cars of the 1960s? Those NEVER WORE OUT. NEVER!

Last edited by WD40; 07-29-2020 at 12:58 AM. Reason: 5-star rating

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?