All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 11-16-2019, 09:27 AM
Received 146 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Originally Posted by superfingers
Bought a new LED color lighted shiffter ****.

I got this from Ebay very high quality, choice of lighting color and stitching or no light, Fits your hand like a glove and makes shifting into reverse a lot easier

Old 11-16-2019, 04:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been quite busy with the 06 Crossfire, and this forum has been extremely helpful in getting the last little things taken care of.

The things that I've done today, and over the last two weekends include:

1. Replacing the Siren with a new MB unit from FCP Euro. My car now beeps when using the key!
2. Replacing the valve cover gaskets and resealing the valve cover breather panels with MB sealant. No more burning oil smell.
3. Putting "Karman" brand labels over all the Chrysler logos.
4. Replaced the fuel pump and filter. The car had sat for a decade in old gas, and the fuel pump was weak causing hard starts.
5. Adding a wireless rearview mirror and camera to the back. I used the Boscam K2 from Amazon. Works great and no running wires from the back to the front.
Amazon Amazon
6. Replaces the radio with a Pioneer SPH-10BT. It's a unique radio with a built in phone holder and it's own app. While not perfect, it was $149 from Crutchfield and works great. I did paint the trim ring to match the dash.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2005 crossfire starts then stops, when I put some gas into the mass fuel sensor it will run then quet again when the gas is gone, anyone know what can cause the car not to run correctly?

Old 11-16-2019, 11:20 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by tripster930
My 2005 crossfire starts then stops, when I put some gas into the mass fuel sensor it will run then quet again when the gas is gone, anyone know what can cause the car not to run correctly?

Fuel delivery problem. Fuse, fuel pump, fuel filter, crushed/collapsed fuel lines (for a start).

Old 11-17-2019, 01:47 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Today I went a little further today with the cluster. I finished all the programming I can do without the running and then started to reinstall the cluster. I just roughly fit it in and then hooked everything up to see if I would get any smoke
I didn't start the car yet but I am happy to say that it booted okay and even recognized the blinkers when I unlocked and locked the doors form the remote which is an awesome start for me. I have powered the full cluster a couple of times with a bench top power supply and a spare set of cut off connectors/cables that came with my eBay cluster so I honestly didn't think it would smoke (but you never know).

Here are a couple pictures of the rough fitment (don't mind the dirty steering wheel. Shes going to get a full detail when Im done with this)

Don't mind the fingerprints all over the screen

After this, I started working on what I am calling the "power management controller"

This consists of an arduino pro micro, an 8 input opto isolator board and a board consisting of 8 solid state relays. This will stay powered all the time and control when the computer, lcd, tablet, neopixel leds (which replaced all the interior lights), dashcam, and the usb charger ports/wireless charger. I picked this arduino specifically because it can emulate a usb keyboard which will allow me to connect it to the dash computer and easily put it into a sleep mode which pulls less current than fully powered.

As of right now, it takes about 45 seconds for the computer to fully boot into the dash software from a complete power off. I plan to see if I can improve this time but to help make it less noticeable, I am gong to use a couple of inputs from my push to start system. Currently, when my key gets in about a 5-10 foot radius of the car, the doors automatically unlock and the push to start button turns blue. I am going to tap into the voltage (with the opto board) for the blue LED and have the computer start to boot as soon as it turns on. The push to start LED turns green.when the car starts. I am debating on either using this green led signal or the door signal to turn the screen on (old picture of button at bottom for reference). I plan to have the screen turn back off after the doors lock or a 2 minute period (whichever is first). I plan to have it change to a basic logo screen with the time and odometer on it when it turns off until it receives the shutdown signal. I also plan to add a button to this controller to have everything (tablet, phone chargers, dashcam, etc) completely shut off for "long term storage" as well as a low voltage detection circuit which will do the same thing.

Ill be honest, This has been fun but I cant wait until this project is over

Old 11-17-2019, 08:22 AM
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Your project is very impressive. What field is your engineering degree in? I can't wait to see the finished project!

Old 11-17-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wadsworth
Your project is very impressive. What field is your engineering degree in? I can't wait to see the finished project!
I started in electrical engineering but I think I want to go back and finish in wireless communications

Old 11-17-2019, 01:52 PM
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

You should go back and finish then. You are still young and by the looks of it have talent. Life is short but the day to day drag can be long if you don't enjoy your work. I was lucky I enjoyed my work. I am also enjoying the first few months of retirement.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by rbracy10406
Today...…. …...Ill be honest, This has been fun but I cant wait until this project is over

KEEP reaching for your (or any) Goal! There are many who NEVER lose the spark of creativity in every walk of life. I have NEVER thought a regimented school was ever a basis of future accomplishments/failures. For example, I am 65 (just turned), never listened to those who chimed and directed something can't be done. IF you dream and want to pursue, take your chances and DO IT. That chance is whether or not someone overrides your conviction to succeed no matter the objections present. You have talent, all you need is conviction over everyone else's opinion or demands. There IS a place for your talent, find it! Have fun and keep the objective YOU want to achieve! A fact filled resume of accomplishments will trump paper, unfortunately many want 'paper' before anything else (shame on them)!

When you get 'there', don't settle!

Old 11-24-2019, 05:44 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments! I got a little closer today. Im still working on reassembling everything in my free time here and there. I have a lot of cable management to do as well. As I go through everything, I am wrapping all my new cables together in the factory looking wire loom tape so I can keep it as neat as possible. I can safely say that I cannot let anyone else work on my car (not that I ever did) because they would never be able to figure out the wiring. I keep a copy of the service manual (that I download from here) and mark up the schematics as I go so I can give myself a refresher on what crazy idea I had at the time. I am putting the factory AC controls back in for now but I still plan to change them out and build them into the touch interface or add a third screen .

I had to pull the entire top dash off so I can reinstall my center console properly and not risk cracking the center touch screen. I can safely tell you it is an absolute pain to get to the screws by the windshield defrost vents.

As I am reassembling everything, I am putting thick felt tape between all the seams to prevent any possible rattling. I originally had a rattle around the glovebox area that would drive me insane

Here is the progress so far. Once I get it together, I will start to work on the cosmetics and repaint the trim. I am also thinking of keeping the clear plastic out of the gauge cluster. helps reduce the glare and I think the LCD looks really good without it. I am going to laser cut a piece of hard vinyl that will go around the inside and form around the gaps where the plexiglass was.

Im nowhere near finished but all I can say is that I am happy that it is finally starting to look like a car again

Old 11-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Received 430 Likes on 378 Posts

all i can say is "wow" .

Old 11-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
all i can say is "wow" .
Ditto!!

Old 11-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing as impressive as these high tech mods is the number of posts in this thread!!
Being new here I'm looking at Mt Everest from the bottom of the Marianas Trench....

Old 11-25-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by g wheels
The only thing as impressive as these high tech mods is the number of posts in this thread!!
Being new here I'm looking at Mt Everest from the bottom of the Marianas Trench....
lol. Welcome to the forum. Were trying to make a record for the longest open thread

All joking aside, there is a lot of good info in this forum. It has sparked a lot of ideas and interest in the crossfire (at least for me)

Old 12-03-2019, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was oil change weekend so I did that and was inspecting things around the engine bay when I noticed my crankshaft pulley was falling apart! So I ended up installing an ASP 178 that I had waiting around, and changing the supercharger fluid. Also noticed my smog pump sounds like it is dying so I ordered a new one. Very eventful week for the crossfire. Thanks for all the info on the forum to help with that.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

getting my Crossfire set for a 5 month sleep.....
Put 10 more pounds of air in each tire
added stabilizer
and shopped online for a trickle charger finding this at Amazon............Battery Tender Plus, 12 v........$45.

any comments from you experienced folk as what to look for ??

Old 12-03-2019, 05:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for the BatteryMINDer Plus 1510 at Amazon: It's about $50, and will also desulphate our battery, which will extend its life quite a bit. All of the Crossfires that are driven occasionally have batteries that are sulphated to a certain extent.
If the charger description doesn't specifically say it will desulphate your battery - it won't!

Old 12-03-2019, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by JoeO
getting my Crossfire set for a 5 month sleep.....
Put 10 more pounds of air in each tire
added stabilizer
and shopped online for a trickle charger finding this at Amazon............Battery Tender Plus, 12 v........$45.

any comments from you experienced folk as what to look for ??

Sounds like you have a plan! Only suggestion I have is take the negative cable off and then go ahead and tend the battery. This will insure no spurious surges from the A/C will make it to any of the sensitive electronics in the car. Just think what a lightning strike on the power lines could do to your baby (you never know). Make sure you do it to the neg cable (removal). If you take the POS cable off without taking the Neg cable off the siren will let you know if it is working or not (LOL). BTW, it isn't necessary to remove both, one keeps any surges through the tender from doing any damage because there is nothing to react to (no complete circuit). Yes theoretically a direct strike may zap stuff but if it happens you'll not be worrying about the crossfire that's for sure. One final note, you may sing the lullaby song, BUT don't get caught!

Old 12-03-2019, 06:25 PM
Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

I get to drive mine ALL winter long every winter, lol

Old 12-03-2019, 07:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

Me and Harry Neilsson Crooning together Lullaby in Ragtime....

so rock a by my baby
dont you cry my baby
sleepytime is near
wont you rock me...to a ragtime lullaby........

we both looked over just as my crossfire shed a tear from her turn signal.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?