All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 09-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gundilde (AKA Baby Blue) Got New Shoes

She was ready to take me from Sea Level to 6,200 ft up the mountain from Palm Springs, CA to Idyllwild, where I live. It;s a fun drive She laughs at the 30mph signs on the curves. Then "clunk" and something didn't feel right. When the TPS and tracking control lights came on I knew I had a flat. It was the left rear. Fortunately I hadn't started up yet. A tow truck came in 5 minutes (imagine that) and took me to the nearest tire store. Up on the rack it was a horror story. Belts showing through on the inside of both rears. From the outside they looked great. Both has a lot of tread left. I was lucky it happened where it did. She would have gone down the mountain, nose first. The front tires are great, no sign of uneven wear.
One hour later and all was good. Now for an alignment and clean the greasy hand prints off the rims. That was a close one! Check your tires, even is they look good !

Old 09-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Close call Charlie !

with no visible clues of the belts condition ..........could tire pressure have been a clue ? Maybe there’s a history of the tire manufacturer ?
That bullet you dodged didn’t have your name on it.

i dodged one yesterday while going 60MPH on a straight and open road when I was maybe 100 feet away from oncoming Cadillac. With no apparent reason his car took a 10 to 20 degree turn towards me and crossed the centerline. Had I been looking elsewhere at that moment there wouldn’t have been time to react.

Rod Sterling would have reflected on this.

Last edited by JoeO; 09-22-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Left out something
Old 09-22-2019, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gundilde (AKA Baby Blue) Got New Shoes

Originally Posted by charlief64
She was ready to take me from Sea Level to 6,200 ft up the mountain from Palm Springs, CA to Idyllwild, where I live. It;s a fun drive She laughs at the 30mph signs on the curves. Then "clunk" and something didn't feel right. When the TPS and tracking control lights came on I knew I had a flat. It was the left rear. Fortunately I hadn't started up yet. A tow truck came in 5 minutes (imagine that) and took me to the nearest tire store. Up on the rack it was a horror story. Belts showing through on the inside of both rears. From the outside they looked great. Both has a lot of tread left. I was lucky it happened where it did. She would have gone down the mountain, nose first. The front tires are great, no sign of uneven wear.
One hour later and all was good. Now for an alignment and clean the greasy hand prints off the rims. That was a close one! Check your tires, even is they look good !

hope they did the alignment the correct way.As im finding out after getting my new tires its not a regular alignment and its very hard to find a shop that can do it, infact no shop here in town will even attempt it

Old 09-22-2019, 01:38 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Any Firestone stores near you? I have a lifetime alignment on several cars with them including my 07 SE. The rear camber is not adjustable without an aftermarket solution. If you search the forum you will find several options.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grip Grip !
I am a new member> How do I post an inquiry for advice on replacing the glove box cylindrical lock?
Bill Koczara

Old 09-22-2019, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
Any Firestone stores near you? I have a lifetime alignment on several cars with them including my 07 SE. The rear camber is not adjustable without an aftermarket solution. If you search the forum you will find several options.
yes there is a firestone near me i didnt try there reason being is they dont have a good rep around here but ill probably consider it. Thanks for the info

Old 09-22-2019, 07:29 PM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by wkoczara
Grip Grip !
I am a new member> How do I post an inquiry for advice on replacing the glove box cylindrical lock?
Bill Koczara
Option #1 - Click on SEARCH on the website menu bar above. Then click ADVANCED SEARCH. In the KEYWORDS Box on the left, type in "Glove Box Cylinder Lock". Make sure you use the quotation marks. You'll get a listing of every thread that contains something about what you are searching for.

Option #2 - Or you could go to this link: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post585345. Once you access this page within the Forum, click on the Service Manuals Section. That will take you to another webpage where the PDF versions of the Crossfire Service Manuals exist. Download any of the 3 manuals (2004, 2005, 2006) you see - they are essentially identical with the exception that the 2005-2006 will have the Roadster included. And the 2005-2006 will have the SRT-6 included. Once you have the Service Manual, you should be able to search for what you are looking for & get detailed instructions on how to remove & install the glove box lock. There weren't any significant model changes during the 5-year production run, so the 2005-2006 versions are probaby more useful if your have a later model Crossfire. The original 2004 Coupe did have some differences so I recommend anyone with a 2004 Coupe to download the 2004 Service Manual.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-22-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:38 AM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Moore2575
yes there is a firestone near me i didnt try there reason being is they dont have a good rep around here but ill probably consider it. Thanks for the info

Call them first, a few posts long ago (search?) posted Firestone does not have the right equipment and will refuse to do a crossfire (MB suspension in it). Never checked it myself lately, but posts were written about it. When you call, specify it is a crossfire with a MB suspension. Good luck, report back if a, They say they can do it, and b, They successfully do it (save the 'report' they print out, it'll show before and after).

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 09-23-2019 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Corrected misinformation 'lately'
Old 09-23-2019, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Call them first, a few posts long ago (search?) posted Firestone does not have the right equipment and will refuse to do a crossfire (MB suspension in it). Never checked it myself, but posts were written about it. When you call, specify it is a crossfire with a MB suspension. Good luck, report back if a, They say they can do it, and b, They successfully do it (save the 'report' they print out, it'll show before and after).

The Firestone in Montgomeryville, PA not only did the alignment on my 07 Crossfire after I installed the aftermarket adjustable rear camber bushings, they installed the camber alignment bolts up front which I had and provided if needed. I have computer print outs of the before and after alignment settings. The lifetime alignment purchased at that time way back in 2009 cost me $130.00.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello everyone ,
Over the last year I have been working on getting several things done on my Crossfire. First I did about Feb 2019 the person who owned this car messed with the electrical system to the fan control box which I repaired they didnt check the fuse on passenger side fuse panel. Which was the problem so i got it working. But no AC but fan comes on but no compressor engagement I checked all fuses , who knows ??
Cleaned the engine and degreased it. In April I repainted front bumper cover and polished headlights . In june I put LED red strips around tail lights updates the tailights look to modern style. Last month took interior out cleaned carpets and interior. I fixed the CD player some cellophane was inside perhaps stuck to a CD when installed . this month put exhaust muffler hangers on muffler . wow hard job .. They were detiorated. I changed oil and filter I put on new top radiator hose and thermostat and antifreeze. New Serpentine belt idler arm . My AC compressor does not engage so need to look into this maybe someone has same problem it has freon and oil in system and shows slightly overcharged has anyone had this happen to them ?. I fixed broken cup holder from video on youtube worked great.
Got car inspected today and it passed with flying colors. It needs both bumper covers and hood and spoiler and mirrors repainted a few chips etc. Due to clearcoate peel. Its blaze red Maco wants $1000 to repaint these few parts I think rather pricey for Macco. Macco said because its blaze red. If it was any other color be cheaper. I dont know perhaps I should look into a wrap.
I am excited I got car on the road last few days its legal today yaaaa !!! Just frightened I have only one key now I lost transponder in other key. So gotta be really careful now . So gotta keep an eye on this and not loose it. Yikessss. I have bought many parts on ebay and new upgrades once its painted or wrapped. Maybe should do a camoflage print with black wheels. Just a thought but I hear wraps are also very expensive and only last 4 yrs if not garaged. Which mine is not. I keep it under a car cover. Car has high miles but looks to be in good shape the shop told me I got a good deal on car.
Thats my long story hope everyone has great rest of their week 😁

Last edited by manlaw38; 09-23-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 09-23-2019, 11:13 PM

The Firestone in Montgomeryville, PA not only did the alignment on my 07 Crossfire after I installed the aftermarket adjustable rear camber bushings, they installed the camber alignment bolts up front which I had and provided if needed. I have computer print outs of the before and after alignment settings. The lifetime alignment purchased at that time way back in 2009 cost me $130.00.

Glad your Firestone had the right equipment way back in 09. The local manager here in Sumter SC 29150 (803-773-7383, Mon-Sat 7am-6pm) told me today they (and most) franchisers will not do a crossfire. Some might attempt the 1 year but will not do a lifetime since the MB suspension has a lot of steps and requirements like preloading the suspension, measuring height, and the machine is cost prohibitive. The other local (Shaw AFB 803-666-4120, Mon-Sat 7am-6pm) also will not do any crossfire. The equipment to do a MB suspension is very expensive, the limited market and training is prohibitive to many franchises. Apparently since your lifetime was issued back in 09, they had the correct equipment(?). Some Firestone franchises (according to this manager) may either not do any (1 year or lifetime), or do a basic 1 year.. The 1 year they do (as explained) is getting it as close (his words) as they can. When I bought my XF new back in 09, I went to both stores (one in Sumter and one on Shaw AFB), they said sorry they cannot. Today this Sumter manager said european cars are much harder to do so they defer to a domestic MB location locally. Example, a Las Vegas Firestone has the correct MB equip so they can (and do) the lifetime (Benz's there with all that $ floating around). I and many other members asked this question many years ago, many members stated that Firestone doesn't do MB alignment. I asked today, this manager said this is their policy. It would suck if someone takes their car to one that doesn't have the right machine and get taken for either a basic 1 year or a lifetime alignment. BTW, I have two lifetimes (one for my truck and one for my camaro). The truck was purchased in 04 at $79.95 and the camaro was purchased in 07 for $109.95. I would suggest everyone who gets an alignment ask if they have the proper equipment for a crossfire Benz suspension (like slk320) before they allow them to do it.

1; https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...alignment.html (con)
2; https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...alignment.html (pro)

(Re-edited later evening)
Digging through the forums and some of my posts in threads (many many) I found this one couple years ago, same story I got from local Firestones ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...2-not-4-a.html ).

So, members, ask your local Firestone stores, lets get an idea if they can PROPERLY do a crossfire/mb (slk32 equiv) 4 wheel 1 year or lifetime alignment. Be specific or you might get a half a$$ed job. This local one in Sumter doesn't. I'll be calling the Shaw one early tomorrow (since it has been since 09), asking if they have the correct machine and can do a crossfire.

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 09-23-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:03 AM

That information is interesting and concerning. I called the Montgomeryville, PA Firestone 267-436-4123 and just asked if they can do a four wheel alignment on a Chrysler Crossfire. Tim said yes no problem. I then explained I had the lifetime alignment warranty, and he asked when I would like to schedule the visit. I declined to do that right now. You can certainly call the store and verify the information and talk with Tim or the manage Michael Pietrowski.

So, if you are still in an agreeable mood, at this point I would expect we can agree that some do and some don't.

I would have to dig around at home to find my actual alignment printout, so I'm attaching a sample which looks like the one given to me by Firestone. It has the before and after measures for Camber, Caster, Toe, and Thrust Angel. They look up the car in the alignment computer, and it provides what the specs are, and shows the measurements before and after any adjustments. That works for me.

Let's not forget adjusting the rear camber requires an aftermarket solution, so I installed the adjustable camber bolts before they did the alignment. The first tire shop I went to for the alignment suggested I take the car to a body shop to fix the alignment because they could not adjust the rear camber.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-24-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

For want of a nail, the shoe was lost.......

I was sternly warned by elder Sages of this Forum that a sticky key and a no start are not to be dismissed. With good intentions, I reviewed and copied the YouTube videos to my Crossfire folder to make it easier. In the past month I have experienced both warnings only to delay the easy tasks of mailing my RCM and getting into the ignition.

Yesterday, I needed something in my garage where I had to move my Crossfire. Thinking of the above two dilemmas, I decided to push the car out instead of using up a valuable start.

Being light and nimble, it was easy to roll. As the rear wheels approached the garage edge I hurried to meet the car in the driveway, opening the door, intending on jumping in to step on the brake.

In my slippers I slipped and fell down as I was pivoting into the car. Right leg partly into the car, my rear end and other leg on the blacktop dangerously close to the front wheel. I managed to reach up and push against the door jam trying to stop the 3MPH roll. It stopped ! And I thought........how strong, nimble, and fortunate I am !

Holding on to the steering wheel I pulled myself up into the seat. I shut the door only to find it won’t budge and I realize it’s being blocked by the front end of my Acura so I start the car and move forward a few feet and again tried to shut the door. Hearing a loud metal creak and feeling resistance I realize I hyperextended the door.

I was forced to learn this proverb and recite it in front of the class by Sister Irene Marie, a Dominican Nun, back in 1956, under threat of a thick wooden ruler. And as it has been, so many times of my life, a lesson that has come back to bite me. Learning without understanding has consequences.

Fearing the worst I got out of the car and looked at the door where I saw Sister Irene Marie in the reflection. Looking sternly at me with her arms crossed, tapping her foot, and holding the ruler.

“For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.“

........and this is what I did to my Crossfire today.

Last edited by JoeO; 09-24-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Photo didn’t carry over
Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by joeo
for want of a nail, the shoe was lost.......

I was sternly warned by elder sages of this forum that a sticky key and a no start are not to be dismissed. With good intentions, i reviewed and copied the youtube videos to my crossfire folder to make it easier. In the past month i have experienced both warnings only to delay the easy tasks of mailing my rcm and getting into the ignition.

Yesterday, i needed something in my garage where i had to move my crossfire. Thinking of the above two dilemmas, i decided to push the car out instead of using up a valuable start.

Being light and nimble, it was easy to roll. As the rear wheels approached the garage edge i hurried to meet the car in the driveway, opening the door, intending on jumping in to step on the brake.

In my slippers i slipped and fell down as i was pivoting into the car. Right leg partly into the car, my rear end and other leg on the blacktop dangerously close to the front wheel. I managed to reach up and push against the door jam trying to stop the 3mph roll. It stopped ! And i thought........how strong, nimble, and fortunate i am !

Holding on to the steering wheel i pulled myself up into the seat. I shut the door only to find it won’t budge and i realize it’s being blocked by the front end of my acura so i start the car and move forward a few feet and again tried to shut the door. Hearing a loud metal creak and feeling resistance i realize i hyperextended the door.

I was forced to learn this proverb and recite it in front of the class by sister irene marie, a dominican nun, back in 1956, under threat of a thick wooden ruler. And as it has been, so many times of my life, a lesson that has come back to bite me. Learning without understanding has consequences.

Fearing the worst i got out of the car and looked at the door where i saw sister irene marie in the reflection. Looking sternly at me with her arms crossed, tapping her foot, and holding the ruler.

“for want of a battle the kingdom was lost.“

........and this is what i did to my crossfire today.
once upon a time . You have way too much time. A hobby would do you good

Old 09-24-2019, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

I learned a LONG time ago, if ya wanna move the car, just get in and start it and move the car.

I won't tell you how I "learned" that......................

Old 09-25-2019, 12:16 AM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Finally got tires put on the rims that I had bought from forum member grip grip about a year ago. They are chromed stock SRT rims. Had discount put 285 30 on the back and 245 35 on the front. They tried to fight me on two separate occasions on having those sizes put on. Said that those sizes wouldn’t fit on those rims etc. So definitely got a kick out of hearing one of the guys curse while trying to get one of the tires on.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:22 AM

That information is interesting and concerning. I called the Montgomeryville, PA Firestone 267-436-4123 and just asked if they can do a four wheel alignment on a Chrysler Crossfire. Tim said yes no problem. I then explained I had the lifetime alignment warranty, and he asked when I would like to schedule the visit. I declined to do that right now. You can certainly call the store and verify the information and talk with Tim or the manage Michael Pietrowski.

So, if you are still in an agreeable mood, at this point I would expect we can agree that some do and some don't.

I would have to dig around at home to find my actual alignment printout, so I'm attaching a sample which looks like the one given to me by Firestone. It has the before and after measures for Camber, Caster, Toe, and Thrust Angel. They look up the car in the alignment computer, and it provides what the specs are, and shows the measurements before and after any adjustments. That works for me.

Let's not forget adjusting the rear camber requires an aftermarket solution, so I installed the adjustable camber bolts before they did the alignment. The first tire shop I went to for the alignment suggested I take the car to a body shop to fix the alignment because they could not adjust the rear camber.

Local manager here in Sumter SC 29150 (803-773-7383, Mon-Sat 7am-6pm). Second local franchise (Shaw AFB 803-666-4120, Mon-Sat 7am-6pm). I suggest (again) to ask the right questions (members) if you take your crossfire to ANY alignment shop especially Firestone. According to the Sumter Firestone manager here in my area they can do a 1 year basic without the correct machine/equipment (I don't know, MAYBE the basic is the front only?). Are you suggesting that a (your) Firestone guy will do the 4 wheel IF (and only if) the customer either has these parts installed or have them for them to install, for that lifetime 4 wheel alignment? It is just another question the members will have to ask when they take their cars in. A front only will not be a lifetime (seems I remember that from my long ago conversations with my 2 Firestone stores, your reply triggered a memory).

Did you have to pay them to install your rear parts? If so, what was the price total of your lifetime 4 wheel alignment IF the alignment itself was $130? BTW, I know the way Firestone prints the sheet for the alignments, I have used them (here in the Sumter area) since 1988 when I came back from Germany. Posting the picture didn't matter if it wasn't the crossfire, and if it was I didn't doubt it at all anyway.

My mood is moot, we can agree to disagree if all facts are passed along in the posts. Please respond to my specific questions above? The answers might help the members make their own decisions regarding their alignments (or not).

Old 09-25-2019, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Moore2575
once upon a time . You have way too much time. A hobby would do you good

His hobby may be just his crossfire, he is passing along a caution to those who might incorrectly move their car. Were you trying to make a joke of his misfortune? If not, it sure came across that way, and you failed....

Old 09-25-2019, 06:22 AM

JoeO - I'm very sorry to hear and see what happened to your Crossfire. If that happened to one of my Crossfires I would be extremely upset.

Many years ago I had an incident with my 1st gen inferno red Sebring convertible. It was a very enjoyable car and was pampered. One day I was recharging the AC system after repairing a system leak. I shut off the valve on the recharge hose screwed on the refrigerant can, and disconnected the hose from the car. I shook the can and it seemed empty, so I unscrewed the hose valve from the can. It started spraying out Freon, so I tossed it into the lawn, so I wouldn't breath in any of it. The gas coming out of the can worked like a little jet engine. The can lift up into the air and slammed right into my driver side door like a cruise missile. I was very upset about it happening and that it was my fault. Later it seems funny as I remember my shock in seeing this can fly right into my car.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-25-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:34 PM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

I know of a past Forum member who had his car up on jack stands all around to clean & polish wheels. He wanted to be able to have the car out of gear so he could rotate the tires individually. But when he lowered the car off the jack stands, he forgot the car was out of gear. When the last wheel made contact with his driveway, the car rolled down the inclined driveway & ended up in a treeline across the street.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?