All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 12-28-2017, 05:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

I hope all on the forum had a Merry Xmas and all the best for the New Year !!

Old 12-28-2017, 05:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes indeed, may all our fires stay crossed (and our crosses hold their fire) in 2018 !

btw, Nice pics of the 3 Chryslers there fireinthehole , a Canadian , a German and an old Ozzy but all Chrysler ,,well sorta.

Last edited by daveesrt6; 12-28-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took her for a spin along the beach and listened to some tunes

Old 12-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced the spark plugs and wires. It was a fun and educational experience. A lot of great information on the forum helped out. All is running good.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

Got the coupe from under cover & started it up today. It's been sitting for a few weeks. Started right up & I let it idle for approx 20 minutes. Turned the heater on and inside warmed up real toasty. Turned on running lights and walked around outside checking all exterior lights. Seems like the interior lights on the center stack are not as bright as I remember them. Probably just my imagination - it was mid-afternoon when I did this maintenance check. After shutting the car off, I did a thorough visual inspection of the engine bay. Serpentine belt looked good with no visible signs of cracking or fraying yet. No signs of any leaks. Closed the hood and put the coupe back under cover with the major cold temps coming in a few days.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-31-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I continued converting everything in the car to customizable LED's. Some of you may have seen my post in the past where I converted all of the dash and control lights to RGBW LED's. I decided to do the same to my dome light. As you can see in the video below, I have converted the push button to a multi function capacitive button that gives three modes (off, red light and white light). The push button now glows red (to match my default theme in the rest of the car) when the light is off so it is easier to find as well. When the light turns on, the button turns white. Towards the end, you can also see me press three different places on the black piece and the computer gives feedback. These are for future use to control whatever I wish. You may also notice two tiny hols in the middle of that plastic, this is for the hands free module located behind the capacitive buttons which I plan to integrate into my touch screen for hands free call use.

The second video is just me having some fun with my drone a couple of weeks ago

Old 01-01-2018, 01:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi rbracy 10406

Very interesting post, good work with the drone as well.

Re FITH

Old 01-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This was crossfire weekend for me. After I finished the dome light in the above post, I got my new PKE module "pre-wired". I picked up an extra ignition switch, gutted it out, and wired it to the control module. Now all I have to do is plug in the new ignition switch and attach a couple of other wires (for door lock, brake sense and side marker lights). I have this same module installed on my Audi S4 and I love it. When you walk into close proximity of the car, the doors automatically unlock. When I get in the car, all I have to do is press the foot brake and then press the push start button. When I am done driving, simply walk away form the car and it will lock itself up. There is a nice remote start function for this single digit weather we have been in as well. I decided to go with this because I am down to one key and cant risk losing it. This module actually cost less than the new key (programmed and cut) as well so. The unit is only rated for 30 amps for both the ignition and accessory so I decided to add two 80 amp relays (one for ignition and the other for accessory) just to be safe. Looking at the wiring of the crossfire, I was afraid that a 30 amp max limit not be enough at times and could cause problems in the future.

Each connection is soldered and double heat shrieked to ensure it is safe.

The two relays are rated for 80 amps each (may be a little overkill but id rather be safe than sorry). One relay is for the accessory and the other is for the ignition (pins 1 and 3 on the ignition switch). Pin 2 which controls the side lights when the car is off is connected to the NC side of the ignition relay. The starter wire (pin 4), and the heater controller wire (pin 6) were low enough current that I did not need an extra relay. They were wired directly into the module.

PKE push to start module wired directly to an ignition switch so it can be plug and play (almost). The key in the middle will be my new key for the crossfire.

The final test simulating all of the inputs needed to start the car. The light first lights blue when it senses the key in in range. When you press your foot on the brake and press the start button, the module will do its start sequence (first applying ignition power so it can sense the foot brake, then starting) and then the light will turn green letting you know it was successful. To turn off, press your foot on the brake and press the button once again.

The following users liked this post:
MAYAman (07-05-2023)
Old 01-02-2018, 05:51 AM
Forum Regular

Wow ! Awesome stuff you are doing there.
thanks for sharing it !
:-)

Old 01-02-2018, 02:34 PM

Hope everyone had both a safe & happy New Year holiday. With it being the 1st of the year, it was time for me to gather ODO readings on all my cars and update my files for MPG & Operating Costs. Attached are the particulars for the Crossfire.

Later,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2007 XFire_Results_Costs.jpg (44.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg
2007 XFire_Results_MPG.jpg (63.2 KB, 6 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2007 XFire_Results_Data.pdf (71.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Wow, Thats amazing

Thanks for assembling the data

I wish my Operating costs were that low

Old 01-02-2018, 04:45 PM

I don't track "Cost of Ownership", which would include Insurance & Depreciation every year. It's too depressing!!! But everything else I purchase for the car is included.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Forum Regular

Good stuff , curious as to the reason for the decrease in mpg in 2016 ?

Old 01-02-2018, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by daveesrt6
Good stuff , curious as to the reason for the decrease in mpg in 2016 ?
Just didn't drive the XFire much that year - only 410 MPG miles. And all of it around town on short trips or to local car shows. Calculation just turned out that way. If you look at the PDF I attached, you'll see I keep track of mileage two ways - DRIVEN & MPG. The DRIVEN mileage is the difference between ODO readings taken on the 1st of every year. The MPG mileage is the difference from last fill-up for each year. Never the same - most times not even close. MPG is calculated using MPG miles; OPER COST is calculated using DRIVEN limes.

And I keep track of MPG during extended road trips (i.e., Eureka Springs in 2015, ToD Weekend GTGs, etc.). During Fall/2017 ToD Weekend, XFire got 25.8 M mpg. Not bad for up & back + semi-spirited mountain driving. Out to Eureka Springs in 2015, XFire averaged 26.1 mpg out & back + Ozark Mountain cruises. And the car consistently has gotten the mileage over the 9+ years I've owned it.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 01-02-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:38 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks dedwards0323 , i didnt see the pdf.
Good figures.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:51 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Just didn't drive the XFire much that year - only 410 MPG miles. And all of it around town on short trips or to local car shows. Calculation just turned out that way. If you look at the PDF I attached, you'll see I keep track of mileage two ways - DRIVEN & MPG. The DRIVEN mileage is the difference between ODO readings taken on the 1st of every year. The MPG mileage is the difference from last fill-up for each year. Never the same - most times not even close. MPG is calculated using MPG miles; OPER COST is calculated using DRIVEN limes.

And I keep track of MPG during extended road trips (i.e., Eureka Springs in 2015, ToD Weekend GTGs, etc.). During Fall/2017 ToD Weekend, XFire got 25.8 M mpg. Not bad for up & back + semi-spirited mountain driving. Out to Eureka Springs in 2015, XFire averaged 26.1 mpg out & back + Ozark Mountain cruises. And the car consistently has gotten the mileage over the 9+ years I've owned it.
Do you figure this all out with the slide rule as shown in your avatar?
Calculations have come a long way since my apprenticeship days, trig tables, logs, slide rule, the Friden that looked and acted like a maniacal typewriter, the **** with the dodgy filament bulbs and punched cards and then the pocket calculators were developed, my favourite being the HP line and the HP 42C in particular. Now we rarely use them if at all in engineering design, it all being done for us and we just measure with the cursor and the dimension just pops up. I spent countless hours on a Friden doing sets of calculations the pocket calculator would do in minutes and the PC basically instantaneously.
The good old days? I do not miss them at all.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Calculations have come a long way since my apprenticeship days, trig tables, logs, slide rule, the Friden that looked and acted like a maniacal typewriter, the **** with the dodgy filament bulbs and punched cards and then the pocket calculators were developed, my favourite being the HP line and the HP 42C in particular. Now we rarely use them if at all in engineering design, it all being done for us and we just measure with the cursor and the dimension just pops up. I spent countless hours on a Friden doing sets of calculations the pocket calculator would do in minutes and the PC basically instantaneously.
How many times did you successfully land the Lunar Module with that HP calculator ???
And do you still have the steps to make it display "SHELLOIL" when held upside down ?
My first handheld was a 'Regan' calculator with a fluorescent display, I used it for navigation while flying.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 01-03-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The Avatar is the School Logo for where I attended & graduated college - University of Missouri-Rolla. The logo is Joe Miner. School was originally founded as Missouri School of Mines in 1870. And is now called Missouri University of Science & Technology (Missouri S&T). Campus originally was an engineering school, and when the Missouri System snatched it up, it remained primarily an engineering school. (Note: Little known fact - When I attended from 1969-1973, only Purdue graduated more engineers than UMR.) But like all things, one can get a degree from there in just about anything nowadays, which in my opinion, isn't an improvement.)

Anyway, being an engineering campus, the slide rule was the "tool of the trade". And yes, I still know how to use it. But like you, I'm glad those days are behind me! Remember back when the HP-line of scientific pocket calculators were available for only $400-$600!! And we thought technology had reached its zenith!! Things were only getting started!!! Hell, our XFires have more technical power nowadays - And they're a 10-year old marque!!!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by rbracy10406
The second video is just me having some fun with my drone a couple of weeks ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=exzlGQm6N2g
The video using the drone is fun to watch!

Old 01-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here in Central Texas, skies are clear and we warmed up to the mid-60s today. Had to take the Crossfire out from under its covers and let it run around a little.

I've got a buddy up the street who is a U of Missouri-Rolla grad, too. Maybe a few years before your time.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?