All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
Wow you did a lot ! I would have gave up long ago ! There are some things on this car that can't be explained or fixed ! Some times even I think it's time to trade before I find a problem that can't be fixed ! Owned for 7 yrs now & still loving this car though !!!

The car belongs to the wife and she loves it and will not part with it so I had to find some sort of solution.

I drive an 2004 BMW E46 330D which is much easier to live with, £16.00 buys a OBD2 cable and software that you can reprogram everything easily on the car.

I hope my little discovery helps someone because it drove me up the wall trying to fix it.

Ian

Old 01-25-2017, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here 04 crossfire is the wife's only comes out about 4 months out of the year ! I have a 03 GTR Stang with a lot of mods & only 15,000 miles on it ! can't wait til Spring & Harley ridding & Stang driving !

Old 01-25-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by ian6760
No flashing light on the dash with this method.

The fuel cap flap stays unlocked but everything else is locked.

My keys are set to unlock the drivers door and fuel cap with one press of the fob. A second press opens the boot and passenger door.
Are you saying that this will work on every car or just your car?
In my opinion you have something wrong and have convinced yourself that everything is hunky dory. Doing as you say sets the alarm system on my car and locks the gas cap cover.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 AM

Hunky Dory haven't heard that in a long long time !!! LOL

Old 01-25-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Are you saying that this will work on every car or just your car?
In my opinion you have something wrong and have convinced yourself that everything is hunky dory. Doing as you say sets the alarm system on my car and locks the gas cap cover.

LOL. I've not convinced myself that the car is fixed, however I now have a car that doesn't set the alarm off just because the temperature drops a few degrees in the night.

Point me in the direction of what the error is in my car and I'd love to fix it, but even an experienced Chrysler tech has been left puzzled, I've searched high and low on the internet and all I fond is people including Chrysler techs throwing money at every component related to the alarm in the blind hope it will fix the problem. I don't have the cash for that.

What I have found is a glitch in the system, if it doesn't work on your car so what! Do you have the problem I have? I sure Mercedes didn't expect it to cause so many problems years down the road either.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:10 PM

LOL. I've not convinced myself that the car is fixed, however I now have a car that doesn't set the alarm off just because the temperature drops a few degrees in the night.

Point me in the direction of what the error is in my car and I'd love to fix it, but even an experienced Chrysler tech has been left puzzled, I've searched high and low on the internet and all I fond is people including Chrysler techs throwing money at every component related to the alarm in the blind hope it will fix the problem. I don't have the cash for that.

What I have found is a glitch in the system, if it doesn't work on your car so what! Do you have the problem I have? I sure Mercedes didn't expect it to cause so many problems years down the road either.
The glitch in the system is in your car, understand that and we can go from there.
When you say siren box you mean the siren that is in front of the windshield hidden under the plastic cowl. You have changed the batteries in it and then replaced it.
Does the gas cap door lock when you lock the car using just the fob?
If not then the air line to it could be broken. It operates on its own air line. Could it be possible that the alarm light does not come on if this gas cap lock does not work properly?
Disconnecting the siren under the cowl does not have any effect on the alarm system, only the lights will flash if the alarm system is triggered.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-25-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:20 PM

The glitch in the system is in your car, understand that and we can go from there.

Ok, fair enough.

When you say siren box you mean the siren that is in front of the windshield hidden under the plastic cowl. You have changed the batteries in it and then replaced it.

Yes that's the one.

I bought the batteries and when I opened up the siren it had seen better days. I stuck the batteries in anyhow to see if it worked but it didn't fix the problem.

Next, used siren fitted, no fix.

Does the gas cap door lock when you lock the car using just the fob?
If not then the air line to it could be broken. It operates on its own air line. Could it be possible that the alarm light does not come on if this gas cap lock does not work properly?

The gas cap locks several seconds after the doors on the fob. I presumed this was a safety feature to enable the doors to lock and not the gas cap when stopping for fuel.

Disconnecting the siren under the cowl does not have any effect on the alarm system, only the lights will flash if the alarm system is triggered.

I know, I took the siren off because it was going off all night, I'm not so bothered about the flashing light. Not unit the car goes flat if not used for a few days.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:33 PM

Ok, fair enough.

Yes that's the one.

I bought the batteries and when I opened up the siren it had seen better days. I stuck the batteries in anyhow to see if it worked but it didn't fix the problem.

Next, used siren fitted, no fix.

The gas cap locks several seconds after the doors on the fob. I presumed this was a safety feature to enable the doors to lock and not the gas cap when stopping for fuel.

I know, I took the siren off because it was going off all night, I'm not so bothered about the flashing light. Not unit the car goes flat if not used for a few days.
The gas cap door locks at the same time as all the others on my car.
When you had the pump out I presume you mean the one under the foam in the trunk/boot?
Can you easily access it now? Or is it all covered again?

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-25-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:02 PM

Yes I had it all open to check for water. A small amount was in there but only enough to need 1 tissue or even less to wipe it up.
its all covered up again but I can get to it easy enough.

What am I looking for?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:20 PM

Yes I had it all open to check for water. A small amount was in there but only enough to need 1 tissue or even less to wipe it up.
its all covered up again but I can get to it easy enough.

What am I looking for?
Now you tell us. LOL
Water in there can ruin the contacts on the pins and sockets, also the water gets inside the module and causes havoc.
Take it out and look for damage. Before you take it out watch it operate and see why the gas cap lock is so slow.
This pump is an important part of the security system not just the locks.
There is a thread that shows the unit opened up and the damage done by water.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:13 AM

Now you tell us. LOL
Water in there can ruin the contacts on the pins and sockets, also the water gets inside the module and causes havoc.
Take it out and look for damage. Before you take it out watch it operate and see why the gas cap lock is so slow.
This pump is an important part of the security system not just the locks.
There is a thread that shows the unit opened up and the damage done by water.
It will be a few days before I have chance to get it back in the garage, but I will have a look at it and get back to you.

When I had the pump out there was no water on the pump only at the very bottom of the well after everything was removed.

Cheers and thank you for your help.

Ian

Old 01-28-2017, 06:19 AM

Replaced the propshaft carrier bush and bearing. Prop came out without having to remove the exhaust with a bit of faffing about which was good.
Got the part (SLK320) for all of £32 off Ebay.

Knock on acceleration now gone, well chuffed.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:30 AM

I replaced the car alarm siren (aka cricket on crack). I bought a new Mercedes-Benz Siren 219-820-32-26 on ebay for $138.16. I also bought several tools I needed off Amazon, 6 star security torque bit set, battery post/windshield wiper puller, socket set. Anyways, followed other instructions onsite 1) tape windshield along wiper blade to mark placement, 2) remove cap and bolt holding wiper arm, 3) using puller remove arm, 4) remove approximately 6-8 security screws, 5) clip plastic ties holding wiring and slide clip down off plastic cowl, 6) lift up cowl to access siren, 7) disconnect wire (windshield fluid heater?) and prop cover up, 8) remove bolt holding bracket and siren, 9) unplug wire and remove siren from bracket, 10) reinstall new siren and use a 8M locking nut on post 11) reinstall in reverse order (need 2 plastic zip ties).

Alarm now chirps twice when locked and once when unlocked.

Old vs new with post

New with 8M locking nut

Old 01-28-2017, 08:04 AM
Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Originally Posted by Rpaczan
I replaced the car alarm siren (aka cricket on crack). I bought a new Mercedes-Benz Siren 219-820-32-26 on ebay for $138.16. I also bought several tools I needed off Amazon, 6 star security torque bit set, battery post/windshield wiper puller, socket set. Anyways, followed other instructions onsite 1) tape windshield along wiper blade to mark placement, 2) remove cap and bolt holding wiper arm, 3) using puller remove arm, 4) remove approximately 6-8 security screws, 5) clip plastic ties holding wiring and slide clip down off plastic cowl, 6) lift up cowl to access siren, 7) disconnect wire (windshield fluid heater?) and prop cover up, 8) remove bolt holding bracket and siren, 9) unplug wire and remove siren from bracket, 10) reinstall new siren and use a 8M locking nut on post 11) reinstall in reverse order (need 2 plastic zip ties).

Alarm now chirps twice when locked and once when unlocked.

Old vs new with post

New with 8M locking nut
I have to be the most unlucky guy on this list. Bought the exact same thing and mine does NOT chirp. Grrrrr. Glad it all worked out for you.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:50 AM

Wow you are unlucky ! Bought mine off E Bay also now chirps too !

Old 01-31-2017, 03:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

TPMS replaced and activated on the black SRt no more tire light on either of my SRT's....finally.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
TPMS replaced and activated on the black SRt no more tire light on either of my SRT's....finally.
What make and model sensors did you use, we like to know.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 AM
Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Picked up oversized needs wings crank pulley while on business in MI

Rob, thank you. It's awesome and I can't wait to install it. I currently have the engine/trans out of the car and am changing the crank (bent nose on the crank from the donor car) The pulleys are the last piece.

Calgary to The Keys this spring

Old 02-03-2017, 02:30 AM
Cool Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Thanks to George, I install a new rubber gasket to the base of my antenna mast. That is probably the hardest thing I have done on my xfire. I do not work well when I can not see what I'm doing. Anyways done deal and thanks George, I also learned or invented a few new cuss words.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:00 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

John ! Guess I forgot to tell you that if you stop the top process with the tonneau open and the top raised, you can just reach in and undo the antenna.
Heck, you can even see what you are doing.
Mine didn't even require a wrench, just used my fingers, although I did use some pliers to make sure it was tight upon re-install.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?