All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 11-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Originally Posted by jayloukakis@hotmail.com
The box I installed is a one piece unit exactly the same as the stock Crossfire unit, I would much rather have had the box with the larger filters I had bought the K&N larger filters now today I will send them back. I thought the w220 box with the larger filters but the box doesn't fit? or did someone find a way to make it fit?? The box I just installed is a one piece exactly the same as the stock unit I just removed the filter housing and installed it on the SLK box as they are exactly the same.
So you do not need a front half for this box, so can you return the one you ordered?
In future I would suggest that you ask or look for information on this forum.
This forum has saved a lot of hassles, headaches and money.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had read that someone had used th Mercedes w220 so I bought but if someone use that bigger box it would take some modifications that would take more work than I would want to do, I will juast get rid of the bigger engine cover and when the nose piece gets here next week I will just send it back, you pay to learn, Ihave many sports cars and hot rods but since Im getting older I cant do a lot things That I did in the past, in 4 weeks I will be 84 yrs. that's no excuse for not knowing much about Mercedes as they over engineer everything they just don't know about the KISS system.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Just completed installation of the latest engine mods . . . Needswings aluminum intake manifolds (these are works of art), 12 new Laser Iridium spark plugs and and a brand new set of Magnecor 8.5mm plug wires. I ran out of daylight today and we have dinner plans so my updated Eurocharged tune will get flashed in tomorrow. Next mod is rear the differential . . . Swapping in a 3.27 gear differential with WaveTrac . . .

dcp_5470_zpswglcxzl3.jpg

Last edited by RED DOG; 11-03-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just upgraded the brakes to Akebono ceramics to get rid of the dust and replace the brake fluid after 10 years

Old 11-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very disappointed to hear from my insurance company today that my Crossfire is a total loss from the damaged caused when I hit a deer. I really don't want to give her up, she is dear to me in more ways than just a car. It was a gift from a special person. Suggestions?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (247.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by babiehop
Very disappointed to hear from my insurance company today that my Crossfire is a total loss from the damaged caused when I hit a deer. I really don't want to give her up, she is dear to me in more ways than just a car. It was a gift from a special person. Suggestions?
Buy it back from the Insurance company, if you have a place to store it. OF COURSE for cheap. Then go looking for another one. There are plenty out there. I am sure others are going to jump in here with good advice.
Billto

Old 11-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

Hit a deer! ...buckled hood, smashed grill, broke headlamp assy, displaced/deformed condenser(?) (radiator lookin thing), fatally wounded doe.
2005 ltd
Very disappointed to hear from my insurance company today that my Crossfire is a total loss from the damaged caused when I hit a deer.
I really don't want to give her up, she is dear to me in more ways than just a car.
It was a gift from a special person. Suggestions?
That was enough damage to deem it as "totaled" ??

Attached Images
image.jpg (143.7 KB, 146 views)
Old 11-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Surprisingly, yes. they said it was $6,588 to repair which was well over the 75% threshold for appraised value of $7,332. Not sure of damage under hood to condenser (?) but the hood is buckled, grill gone, headlamp assembly busted and possibly nose cone cracked. Another one bites the dust.
Felt especially bad for the deer, too. Just recently I had one of the most amazing experiences, being able to pet a tame, wild doe.

Attached Images

Last edited by babiehop; 11-05-2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: add text
Old 11-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VALK
That was enough damage to deem it as "totaled" ??

What do you think Gary, buy it back from the insurance company would be my advice. THAT CAN BE REPAIRED. Of course you would have to be somewhat handy. AND, get it for cheap Did any air bags go?

Old 11-05-2015, 03:02 PM

Settle for the $6,588 AND the car, if all is lost and the car is a real wreck you can sell the parts for more than the difference of the value ($7,332) and the $6,588 damage repair cost. Play hardball with them they will want to settle ASAP and clear this mess up before you realize that you have suffered permanent brain damage in the accident. LOL
If you can manage it settle for the $7,332 and the car, I managed that one time quite easily. I sold the parts and made a good profit, I missed the Mustang but at least I came out ahead of what they offered.

The car maybe deerly missed, because of an animal you nearly missed, leaving you really pissed.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-05-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Go buy you a neck brace, put it on and have someone drive you to their office ( take a wheel chair with you too ).

Old 11-05-2015, 03:09 PM

They will only pay $5499 for repairs which is 75% of the appraised value. Unfortunately, I'm not prepared to do the fixes myself or to hang on to her until I can make up the difference and would still be stuck with a NC salvage title so I have decided to let her give up the ghost. And, no, the airbags did not deploy.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:12 PM

If the office was local, I might just find that neck brace! lmbo

Old 11-05-2015, 04:57 PM

They will only pay $5499 for repairs which is 75% of the appraised value. Unfortunately, I'm not prepared to do the fixes myself or to hang on to her until I can make up the difference and would still be stuck with a NC salvage title so I have decided to let her give up the ghost. And, no, the airbags did not deploy.
If you settle for the payout and the "wreck" you can make $$$ on the parts. I can see nothing wrong with that, even sell it to a friend who is willing to tow it away and make some cash.
Jeez Louise, I thought Americans were entrepreneurs, guess not.
Why subsidize the insurance companies more than you do?
Remember it is still your car until you sign off on the settlement.
When I drove through NC I thought all the deer beside the highway and in the median would
make the insurance companies cringe, never seen so many deer browsing.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-05-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:00 PM

If I had the time/skills/resources to be able to fix it or part it out I certainly would have, but lacking those things I put on some red lipstick and literally kissed her goodbye. I will miss her for many reasons, but have a feeling that another one is in my future.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Forum Regular

Got my redone in blood red fabric headliner back in, and put back together. While the headliner was out I also ran some wire from the dome light to the tail light area for future use of a back-up camera or auto dim rear view mirror.

I found that removing the glove box door and light made the reinstall easier as it went in first try.

Attached Images
DSC00980.JPG (1.46 MB, 35 views)
DSC00982.JPG (1.79 MB, 39 views)
Old 11-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by csteve0355
While the headliner was out I also ran some wire from the dome light to the tail light area for future use of a back-up camera or auto dim rear view mirror.
Excellent idea, also, are the A-Pillar trims colored red? If so, how?

Old 11-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Drove it around the block,Put it away in its bed until the middle of April 2016 Next year will be better than last year and I had a great time in 2015. Missed some events but got to others. See ya all down the road somewhere sometime .Lorne

Old 11-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular

Yes, they are covered in blood red leather. I have extra fabric and a spare set of A-Pillar's if I ever choose to match the headliner.

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
Excellent idea, also, are the A-Pillar trims colored red? If so, how?

Old 11-09-2015, 06:28 PM

I have the paddle shifters fitted on my car and the metal paddles interfere with the movement of the stems of the cruise control and the multi-function switches.
Not wanting to risk breaking the stem of them I decided to get a cruise control unit and practice on it. Using a heat gun and with the stem clamped in a 5/16" diameter seat in two pieces of wood I applied heat around the stem and bent it. All went well and it moved about 1/2' no trouble at all.
Now to pluck up the nerve to do the ones on the car.
The stems appear to be 100% plastic and not plastic covered metal.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-09-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?