All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 02-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Installed the rear set of MGP Caliper Covers on my 2007 Coupe a week or so back during a short warm spell. Kinda like the look and a short drive right after install didn't reveal any rubbing.

Not sure I'll leave these on during the trek to CAA-6 later this year. But I'll keep checking the tightness of fitment over the next few months. I'll make the decision whether to leave them on when the time comes.

Later,

Old 02-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, another weekend and another snow storm which means I didn't do anything to the XF.. There are some warmer temps in the long range forecast so I hope they actually happen. I have been busy on fleabay though, I picked up another '05 brochure, a '06 full line brochure, 2 magazine ads and a '04 brochure from Japan that I won seeing as I was the only bidder. No, I don't know Japanese but, I don't know German either but, I have one of them also. If I don't get to drive the car soon I may have to break into the 401.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by xjken
Nine inches of snow on the ground and a blazing 15 degrees so another day of no driving. The gas gauge was resting on empty so I took the gas can to the station and bought a couple gallons. At least now when the day does come to drive the car I will have enough gas in the car to get to the gas station. Meanwhile I hooked up my new battery tender. I also checked all my lights and everything looks good.
Just FYI - You should always store your car with a full tank of fuel. It prevents the inside of the tank from forming condensation and surface rust . . .

Old 03-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Forum Regular

Good advice Red Dog, When I put it away in early November it had a full tank of gas but, I was actually able to drive it quite a bit through Nov, Dec and Jan. Then February hit and there has been snow on the ground most of the month, when the snow was gone there was to much salt and sand. For the month of February I have been starting the car and letting it run once a week which got me to this point. It worked great the last two winters but not so much this year, if I would of known the last time I drove was going to be the last time I would have filled it up then. Live and learn. At least winters almost over, daylight savings time starts next weekend and we should be getting warm enough to at least make all my whining about rain and not snow.

Last edited by xjken; 03-01-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Got the eBay alarm yesterday, installed it today and I FINALLY have a beep on lock and unlock without the RadioShack beeper !

Part # A1718205326, and it came from a 2008 CLK500 so it should have some battery life left. :
( this was a "make an offer", so I made an offer that came to $30 with shipping )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (36.2 KB, 36 views)
Capture2.JPG (36.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by ala_xfire; 03-01-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Just FYI - You should always store your car with a full tank of fuel. It prevents the inside of the tank from forming condensation and surface rust . . .
The tank is aluminum.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I worked on the final fitment of the grill I am making, also finished and installed the matching lower grills.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was changing the oil last week I noticed some debris hanging out of a drain hole behind the bumper. When I investigated I found a mouse nest that came with my XF a year ago when I bought it. There also was a Top Cat mouse trap laying on top of the splash panel when I accessed the drain plug.
The outside air temperature probe was dislodged although the temperature I was reading on my dash was OK.
This mouse was very comfortable with his big nest of cotton.

Attached Images
3-3-2015 Pics 291A.jpg (83.6 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Red Runner; 03-03-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Got the eBay alarm yesterday, installed it today and I FINALLY have a beep on lock and unlock without the RadioShack beeper !

Part # A1718205326, and it came from a 2008 CLK500 so it should have some battery life left. :
( this was a "make an offer", so I made an offer that came to $30 with shipping )

. GREAT price George! I got the chirping one before the mega price jump, and installed it in parallel with the OEM one. The OEM was relocated to the inside panel of the passenger side under hood electrical box where the RCM module rests. It is behind the heat shield mounted directly outside the RCM on that box. I have TWO sirens wail when the alarm sounds, quite annoying! I like it, and will soon take them both out and see if the batteries need replacing (can solder, can dremel, can goop). Much cheaper than ordering a part costing over a hundred bucks (and climbing). Not to mention, I like two in the circuit!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Runner
When I was changing the oil last week I noticed some debris hanging out of a drain hole behind the bumper. When I investigated I found a mouse nest that came with my XF a year ago when I bought it. There also was a Top Cat mouse trap laying on top of the splash panel when I accessed the drain plug.
The outside air temperature probe was dislodged although the temperature I was reading on my dash was OK.
This mouse was very comfortable with his big nest of cotton.

Good you found that! I suggest you check every nook and cranny you can find, mice like to gnaw on wiring, if they cut any insulation your open for shorts, opens, and a whole lotta water damage to wiring/components down the road.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got my 20mm rear wheel spacers and 10mm front spacers installed and did a test drive. Nice warm day with dry roads, can't wait for more spring/summer weather.
The spacers push the wheel out perfect and the car looks terrific.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Nothing, but pulled in a parking place at a riverside catfish place and got out.
There was a guy at the gas pumps in a black Boxster that was just leaving.
He pointed at my Crossfire and gave me a big thumbs up !
Who says all those porch guys are a$$hats ?

Old 03-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Forum Regular

Finally got the roadster out of the garage so the first stop was the gas station for a fresh fill up. Beautiful weekend in the Nati, sunny and temps around 50 so I spent the whole afternoon out working on the cars and in the garage. Other than getting gas, I tackled probably the worse cosmetic problem. The previous owners had a hard time getting thing in and out of the trunk because the plastic trim around the lower latch was pretty scratched up. I started by trying to smooth out the worse areas with my finger nails which actually works pretty well. Once that was done I very lightly went over the entire area with very fine steel wool. This smoothed out the scratches but did nothing to hide them. I looked around the garage and had to possible choices to try and darken the scratches, black car wax and something that has been in my garage for probably 25 years, a can of something called Tire Black (don't even know if they still make this stuff) which is a very watery black paint or dye. So I decided to give that a try by dipping an old rag into the stuff and and working it into the scratches. It worked great, while the scratches are still there they are much less noticeable than before. Here is a pic of the finished item.

8691829c-78bb-42f2-946c-a5ba8078f496_zpsjuimphvp.jpg

I also put some chrome bolt caps on the fender bolts and the wiper bolts under the hood to try and brighten the sea of black. Not sure I like it enough to keep it though.

103_1135_zpskrdhia3a.jpg

Last edited by xjken; 03-08-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whoosh
Finally got my 20mm rear wheel spacers and 10mm front spacers installed and did a test drive. Nice warm day with dry roads, can't wait for more spring/summer weather.
The spacers push the wheel out perfect and the car looks terrific.
Whoosh,,Do you have pics of straight on rear shot and front...would like to see stance...Thanks Carl

Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Place the order for Lorenzo WL27 Wheels.. 20x10 on rear.. should give her a nice full figured gal look back there..

Bailed on the Lexani mess.. After CarID lost.. was looking into a local dealer and a week later they finally came back with $1,400 more than where we were at.. Not happening..LOL.

Element wheels said we'll have these within 10 days.

Funny thing.. back in June when she decided "new wheels"... I had pulled these up as a potential.. (search WL27).. today she's like "hey I kinda like these".... Hmmm..

So should be able to add some valid information to the TPMS thread shortly too..

Old 03-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Forum Regular

Installed a new power mirror switch in about 7minutes thanks to the forum. I was almost sad that it went so fast. I also had a visit from brown santa with my crossfire humidor lighter cutter combo! Thanks Mark!

Old 03-12-2015, 09:54 PM
Forum Regular

Finally got to drive mine. Rain most of Tuesday did a great job washing the salt off the roads, together with the mild temps melting all the snow it was a great day for a drive. I also finally set up the Epic video camera that I have had for over a year this morning. Recorded a nice 5 minute vid running some of my favorite roads. Still trying to figure out how to post it here.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:57 PM

I finally got under the car today, just to replace a rubber hanger that I broke last year installing the regulator. Felt good!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:15 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Nice day so I thought I would install the scatter shield from latemodel21, no problem I thought except I knocked of the clip that holds the rad hose against the oil cooler. It flew off and I spent 5 minutes looking for it under the hood as I heard it hit the belly pan, no luck. So I figured I could make the install easier and the clip easier to find if I took the fan assembly out.

I installed the scatter shield no problem then went on to spend 1/2 an hour looking for the clip under the hood after checking it had not fell through to the floor, no luck so I gave up. I was cleaning the fan assembly a little and half a clip fell from it onto the floor, where it had lodged I did not know as it had stayed put when removing the assembly from the car. I looked in front of the car where I had been standing and there was the other half of the clip. I did find an access door to a fog light open and slightly damaged, I'll tape those suckers down before they're lost.

I am now epoxying the clip together with Gorilla glue, fiber glass and resin.

A five minute job turned into a big headache.

Next up the flashing high mounted stop light.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Nice day so I thought I would install the scatter shield from latemodel21, no problem I thought except I knocked of the clip that holds the rad hose against the oil cooler. It flew off and I spent 5 minutes looking for it under the hood as I heard it hit the belly pan, no luck. So I figured I could make the install easier and the clip easier to find if I took the fan assembly out.

I installed the scatter shield no problem then went on to spend 1/2 an hour looking for the clip under the hood after checking it had not fell through to the floor, no luck so I gave up. I was cleaning the fan assembly a little and half a clip fell from it onto the floor, where it had lodged I did not know as it had stayed put when removing the assembly from the car. I looked in front of the car where I had been standing and there was the other half of the clip. I did find an access door to a fog light open and slightly damaged, I'll tape those suckers down before they're lost.

I am now epoxying the clip together with Gorilla glue, fiber glass and resin.

A five minute job turned into a big headache.

Next up the flashing high mounted stop light.
I hope that holds for you. I pretty much did the same thing and ended up buying a new one. I made one from aluminum that I keep around for a spare but it doesn't look as good as the OEM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?