Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 PM
rcompart
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: AMG SLK STYLE Side Skirts for the crossfire

After initial fitment of the sideskirts, I personally am rather displeased with the overall design of them. I want everyone to post on here their opinion in this thread, not via PM or email as this is all information that both Dan and the company that manufactured these need to see and I want it all public record.

The fitment of these sideskirts have a few issues, some of which I feel are very detrimental to the overall satisfaction of everyone that has purchased them. Some people may not find these things objectionable while others will agree with me that this is simply not acceptable and needs to be dealt with accordingly.

The first problem with the sideskirts comes from the actual manufacturing of them. The mold was made in a way that the sideskirt needs to be pushed up against the chassis in a rather aggressive manner. It does not follow the same design of the original sideskirt as you can see in the image below. This causes the sideskirt to have a natural tendency to try and push away from the vehicle either on the top and sides, the bottom or both. This is also a problem from the standpoint that these need to be fitted prior to paint and when removed from the vehicle will take on their original shape which will again have to be bent to be isntalled. I equate this with instead of being an "L" shape, it's is more like a "(" shape that you squish together to make it into an "L" shape.

The second problem with these is the lack of the mounting tabs on the front of the sideskirt to attach it to the car. Dan has insisted that this isn't a problem and some of you may agree but Jon and myself find this is a very important part that is necessary to the proper fitment of the sideskirts and that the solution Dan wants to implement to correct this is simply not a viable option considering how these were supposed to be made. Below you will see images of the mounting tabs on the factory sideskirt vs the lack of them on the other one, how the lack of these tabs affects the fitment of the sideskirt and what Dan has proposed to fix this problem.

Now per Dan's request because he feels that all this is completly acceptable, I want everyone's opinions posted to this thread. Yes, no or indifferent, I want to know. Don't hold back and be honest as I'm not going to be offend by what is said.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Alignment.jpg (131.4 KB, 306 views)
No-mounting-tabs.jpg (123.4 KB, 301 views)
Front-fitment.jpg (160.9 KB, 303 views)
Brackets-attached.jpg (348.6 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by rcompart; 05-19-2009 at 03:56 PM.