Thread: Got her home
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Serendip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got her home

I mentioned a few days ago that I was making a deal for an '07 Limited coupe, silver with autostick. Well, I flew to Michigan Tuesday to pick it up. Other than two weather airport delays, all went smoothly--to a point. I paid for the car (Monroe Dodge, Monroe MI) and hit the road south. Got about 60 miles to Findlay, OH and pulled off I-75 for a cup of Wendy's chili. Went back to the car and nothing. No power from the battery at all.

I called the salesmen who handled the transaction (Tim O'Brien--nice guy) on the chance I wasn't massaging the security system correctly, but nothing was working, not even the interior lights. He called for a tow from the Chrysler Care people. When it showed up, he wanted to try jumping the car, and with my trepidition about hauling the car up on the truck, I reluctantly agreed. Plus the temp was 14 and falling like an anvil. To my surprise, it worked, and he followed me to the local Chrysler dealer (Treadway) where we left it at the overnight drop-off area. Then he took me to a local motel that looked reasonable and waited to be sure I was settled in before leaving. Another nice guy.

Next morning the dealer said the battery was the culprit. The car was built about 18 months ago, and it probably ran pretty low and then suffered in the 10 below weather they have experienced lately. They replaced the battery, and two headlights they claimed blew in the jumping process (though I drove there with them on--don't understand that). No charge at all. The salesmen from Monroe called me several times the previous night and next morning to be sure that everything was being handled, and even said to send him the receipt for the motel and if Chrysler didn't pay, they would.

So, for a little inconvenience, I got a new battery, so I drove south a bit later than planned, but no worse for wear. I am really enjoying the car so far and would recommend Monroe Dodge and Tim O'Brien if any one is looking. They have several more Crossfires awaiting adoption.

BTW, nearing home, I was listening to the radio and what should come on but Stevie Ray Vaughn's tune, "Crossfire." Would you call that a case of carma?