Old 10-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Kit Fox
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow My Introduction Can Beat Up Your Introduction!

Ok, so it's dark except for some camera flashes, then Eye of the Tiger starts real low, a spotlight comes on and 40,000 people start chanting 'Kit Fox FTMFW!!' which is weird, right? Because that's a really long chant for a room full of people, but then I come out, Eye of the Tiger gets real loud and the crowd goes wild, forgets the chant, and everybody is trying to touch my hands as I hold my arms up in sweet anticipation of victory. Then, just as the sound is deafening, I scream 'Hello Crossfire Forum!! Kit Fox is in the MF house!' Then the crowd is all like 'Sweet!', or something like that, because all I can hear is Eye of the Tiger and thunderous applause.

Now that I've livened things up abit let me get to the substance of this post. Hi guys, to start of I'm sorry to disappoint but I am not a Crossfire driver.......YET! I'm currently on a mission to sell my current car (more on that in a second) and buy a Crossfire.

I joined here in order to do some research prior to buying a Crossfire so I know what I'm buying and to start getting into the community here. Most importantly I need to figure out what to look for when buying a Crossfire.

I've gone down a long list of cars and finally settled on a top 3 of a Crossfire, an RX8 or a Audi TT. I finally ended up deciding on the Crossfire out of those. My general guidelines was: Something sporty, 2 seater (preferably), RWD or AWD (NO FWD!!!), and has to have a manual gearbox. It seems to me The Crossfire hits the nail on each one of those points.

Crossfire specific m my price range is up to $15,000 USD. No financing or any of that silly stuff either or money orders or shipping cars from Montenegro or Nigeria. I would prefer an 2005 and under 45,000 miles. Also, no grey interior and has to be leather. I doubt that an SRT-6 is possible at my price range but I dont think thats a problem for me because (1) I dont care that much for super performance and (2) as far as my sparse research has shown they come in A/T only (ewwwww). I also think that I prefer a Coupe over a Roadster.

My use for the car is going to be pretty much for 5-10 mile daily drives to work and then again back home. One more thing to keep in mind is, this car will be my daily driver year round. I also do plan on going to low and high speed auto cross events (how is head clearance with a helmet on?). I also may take the car on long road trips is there a thread with any tips on painters/blue taping the car for long hauls and track events? How are the cars on rust proof and such?

I'm not looking for great performance enhancements. Modifications I'm intrested in (please chime in on comments or ideas for these):
Brakes: I want the best brake upgrade there is for under $2,000. stainless steel brake lines, upgraded calipers, pads, and rotors. (I feel braking fast is more important then going fast)
Strut bar: Do these cars need it? In the past I found it a big differance.
High flow intake: From what I see these are dual intakes, do they feed from a single air box or are two completely independant pipes?
Automatic folding mirrors, is there a way to wire the mirrors with electrics to have the mirrors fold when the car turns off or flip of a switch?
Aero upgrades, not looking to do much at the back (not much to do really), but in the front the idea of a front lip or splitter. Brake ducting? How are the stock brakes in re: to fading at track events.

My next step is to actually read through all the stickies which will hopefully answer many of my question, if not, hopefully the search option will help additionally, and if that fails (how can search ever fail?!) I will be sure to ask an further questions here. Expect to see alot of me here and to become a regular member, especialy once I get my Crossfire. I spend most of my day at work (I'm a paralegal for a small law firm) and home online on forums (NOTFWD.com, ChicagoZ.com and many others); slightly post whorish at times but I like to try to contribute. I have been searching recently to find a thread that explains what are the most important things to look for when buying a crossfire; basically what should I inspect and ask from previous owners on the car to know what may go wrong. I looked through the TSBs and Recalls but they dont really tell me much, what breaks most often or what should I watch out for on a Coupe? (I know that the tops on SRT-6 Roadsters are iffiyish from my research). Alternators? Engine? Sludge? what? If someone can direct me to a thread like that it would be greatly apreciated.

Now, I'm not stranger to the forum scene and cars. I love all cars from and to give you a rough idea of my previous car history her you go:
1st car 2000 Hyundai Tiburon, fun car, light and easy to toss around.

2002 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L V6: Great car till the engine started sludging and the tranny slipping and dying. Hated Chrysler and vowed never to buy one again...until I found out the Crossfire is more Mercedes then Chrysler.

And my current ride, I'm trying to sell to make room for the Crossfire.
1996 Nissan 300ZX 2+0 T-Tops

Anyway, I look foreword to posting with you guys and getting some ansewrs to some of the earlier questions posed in this thread. Ooo, btw, name is Mike.